Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 10:56 AM   #4561
Ahuch
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd_aaron View Post
Have any of you ever bought a bike for a significant other that they've never had a chance to test out? My wife wants to buy a new bike (cruiser/casual) but was only planning to spend max $300. I want to surprise her for her birthday with a better quality bike (more like $600-$700 range) but I'm worried about finding one that I think has everything she wants and then her not liking it/it not fitting super well. Is this a bad idea?

Edit: Also, does anyone have experience with Felt bikes? Specifically looking at Felt Verza Cafe 7.
As long as you get the frame sized right I don't think it would be a huge issue, the difference between a $300 and $600-700 bike is pretty crazy.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:02 AM   #4562
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can always chech and see if you can return/exchange it if she doesn't fit it right.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:13 AM   #4563
annasuave
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Regarding the gift bike for the wife: probably depends more on your wife's gift-receiving style than the bike but...

Do you know what she really wants (and really doesn't want) in a bike? If you know she's looking for a comfortable commuter bike with fenders, basket, and the ladies-style step-through frame, then you're probably in good shape. But if she prefers a more aggressive riding style and is looking for shocks, track tires and doesn't care for baskets and fenders and you didn't know that... you could be disappointed.

Do you know how tall/leggy she is, and what size frame will be appropriate?

Is she super-knowledgable about bikes?

If you know what sort of things she wants in a bike, have a good idea of what size she would need, and if your wife is NOT super knowledgeable about bikes - go for it. I think that would be a great gift! For a person who isn't a bike-enthusiast, they likely wouldn't know the merits of one bike over another, and will likely be quite happy with a quality bike, regardless of the features.

If it just so happens that you're married to a gear-head, skip the bike, let her choose her own ride, and spend the money on jewelry or a trip instead.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:39 AM   #4564
rd_aaron
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Thanks for the replies!

She is definitely not a gear-head. The bike would be a cruiser just for casual weekend riding on paths in the city with me. She's only had cheaper (Canadian Tire) mtn bikes before but doesn't like the aggressive forward riding style. She basically wants an upright bike with a comfortable saddle, a basket, etc. We have looked at some online together when we were trying find something for $300. Now that I have thought of the (hopefully) brilliant idea of buying one for her as a gift, I have a pretty good idea of what she likes. I also think the difference between $300 and $600 will be awesome and it will hopefully help her enjoy biking that much more.
Old 05-06-2017, 12:26 PM   #4565
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd_aaron View Post
Now that I have thought of the (hopefully) brilliant idea of buying one for her as a gift, I have a pretty good idea of what she likes.
Personally I'd take her bike shopping for birthday. Unless she's been out test riding and knows what she wants and how it fits, a bike is sort of a personal fit - likely better to know she has one she likes if you're going over her original budget.

That's what I did for the girlfriend this year, still think it's a good way to go.

And the very least, make up a story to get her to the bike shop you're looking at to sit on a couple, even if you don't tell her that's what you're doing for a birthday gift.

Last edited by DownhillGoat; 05-06-2017 at 12:30 PM.
Old 05-06-2017, 04:55 PM   #4566
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do you know if colour is important?

Because to me it doesn't matter, for my wife it was a deal breaker for many good deals.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:40 PM   #4567
rd_aaron
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Well I ended up wussing out of buying it without her looking at it. I took my wife to a bike shop this afternoon and told her in the parking lot I was getting her a bike for her birthday. I showed her the one I had picked out and she loved it.

It's actually a good thing I brought her as originally the shop owner thought a small would be best, but we ended up taking the medium home.

Everything worked out good and now we can go biking in this beautiful weather. Thanks for your help.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rd_aaron For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2017, 09:21 PM   #4568
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Took my thunderbolt out today and hit the single track in fish creek. Everything there was very dry, and it was fun to hit some dirt.

Had a few things done to my thunderbolt this spring and was very pleased with how the bike felt.

Now if awe could get some sustained heat to dry out the trails in Bragg creek.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:35 PM   #4569
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've done 20km over the past two days, just going around on pathways for some exercise.

My butt hurts. Do padded shorts really help or is it a bit of a gimmick?
Old 05-06-2017, 10:31 PM   #4570
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
I've done 20km over the past two days, just going around on pathways for some exercise.

Padded shorts will change your life.

I took 1.5 hours for a spin around Nose Hill, was nice to get out on the real bike again. A few muddy bits, but it is mostly dry. Unfortunately all the poop bombs are lying around, so watch out for bagged and unbagged turds. Didn't verify if it was Calgaryblood's, or just dogs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2017, 09:02 AM   #4571
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Buy some - buy some today.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:05 AM   #4572
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
I may have made it up the other hill but my knee was starting to give me problems, and I didn't want to push it.
Have you set up your seat correctly? It can be something most people overlook but over time can cause issues that can be avoided.

https://www.mec.ca/en/explore/fitting-your-bike/
The Following User Says Thank You to Coys1882 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2017, 10:41 AM   #4573
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Your butt also ummm "hardens" as you ride a bit more. We always find the first week or so after the winter our butts are sore but then we're good. We also wimped out and bought gel seats or seat covers. I'm not racing my lowly Gary Fisher bike in the Tour de France, I want some comfort while commuting. On that note, slicks or semi slick/hybrid tires on a mountain bike are great for commuting purposes. Way smoother and easier ride.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
The Following User Says Thank You to FurnaceFace For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2017, 11:11 AM   #4574
pope04
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I find padded shorts don't do much for the pain. (unless you're referring to chafing or you're bothered by clothing seams hitting you in the wrong place - bike-specific shorts will definitely help with that kind of discomfort)

That being said, I never cycle without cycling shorts or at least liner shorts as they are marvelous for wicking away sweat.
Old 05-07-2017, 03:23 PM   #4575
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

My bike was stolen last night (second time in under two years, this time from my building's secured parkade ). Really wish the cops could do something about bike theft because this #### sucks.

Please keep an eye out. It's a Black & White Giant Defy One with blue trimming. Has Bontrager fenders (rare on road bikes), a bottle cage, and probably a Bordo lock still strapped to the seatpost.

Question for CP: Do you make a home insurance claim for this kind of theft ($500 deductible) or assume there would be a rate increase?
Old 05-07-2017, 03:36 PM   #4576
Ahuch
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
My bike was stolen last night (second time in under two years, this time from my building's secured parkade ). Really wish the cops could do something about bike theft because this #### sucks.

Please keep an eye out. It's a Black & White Giant Defy One with blue trimming. Has Bontrager fenders (rare on road bikes), a bottle cage, and probably a Bordo lock still strapped to the seatpost.

Question for CP: Do you make a home insurance claim for this kind of theft ($500 deductible) or assume there would be a rate increase?
I don't know why CPS doesn't do bait bikes like some other Canadian cities. Seems to be a pretty big problem around here.
Old 05-07-2017, 03:46 PM   #4577
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

That is ####ty. Sorry to hear man, will definitely keep an eye out for it.

How was your bike locked up? I see so many people locking bikes incorrectly that leads to stolen bikes like this. There are a few things you can do to make it a lot harder in order for thieves to steal your bikes.

Even better if you can use the U-lock around both the frame and rear wheel.

I lived in a complex in mission with underground bike parking. There was a bike stolen from that garage once a month despite my pleas for people to lock them correctly. Cable locks are garbage, take half a second to cut and go. Use a U-lock only with a cable as a secondary lock.

Last edited by worth; 05-07-2017 at 03:49 PM.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:47 PM   #4578
pope04
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
Please keep an eye out.
I definitely will.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:41 AM   #4579
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought that in real world testing even the most heavy duty "New York style" locks can be defeated by an experienced thief?

cool morning out there today relative to Friday - I was not happy that I needed to wear tights and a jacket and spent the first 15 minutes of my ride wishing I had not oput my headband and medium weight gloves away over the weekend
Old 05-08-2017, 08:05 AM   #4580
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
Have you set up your seat correctly? It can be something most people overlook but over time can cause issues that can be avoided.

https://www.mec.ca/en/explore/fitting-your-bike/
I do think I have to make an adjustment to the seat- however the knee issue is something longstanding. This whole ride to work thing started with my physio recommending I start riding to work out the knee issues. Basically to build up the leg muscles to get everything else lined up.

And it seems to be working. With only three ~20 km trips last week I have already noticed a difference. Mind you I was saying the same thing after two laser sessions, so we will see if this holds. (I do have more confidence in cycling having more of a positive effect.)
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread