Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2017, 11:21 PM   #241
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey.modern View Post
I feel bad for Pylon, all that dedication to his car, and for it to end with a sweep.
Don't. This is what he posted after game 2....

Quote:
Can't believe I mutilated a car for these f'ing losers.
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Johnny Makarov For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2017, 11:21 PM   #242
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
Yeah 5 goals in three of these games puts any team in tough to win. Outside of the powerplay there was little scoring. That doesn't get it done ever.
well it would have got at least one win with average goal tending
Old 04-19-2017, 11:22 PM   #243
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

On the way home, I actually want to give credit to the C of Red. Loud and cheered the boys on right to the bitter end. Good job tonight Calgary fans
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:22 PM   #244
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
Yeah 5 goals in three of these games puts any team in tough to win. Outside of the powerplay there was little scoring. That doesn't get it done ever.
Yeah even game 2 people were saying they let it get away. You never really let a game get away when you never had the lead.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:23 PM   #245
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
Gibson was pulled after giving up 4 goals.

Like another poster said, the Flames scored just 5 goals combined in games 1, 2, and 4. Goaltending was not the only problem this series.
Goaltending was the biggest problem this series and it led to issues in all other facets of the game because the players had zero confidence. I 100% feel we win that series with just average goaltending.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2017, 11:23 PM   #246
Flamescat
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Flamescat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:23 PM   #247
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
It's amazing how people expect Gaudreau to take punishment. His hand probably never healed properly.
He had an avg series at best. My buggest pet pieve is when the flames dump and chase into a corner where gaudreau is expected to retrieve. Unfair to him.like throwing mugsy bogues alleyoop passes.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2017, 11:24 PM   #248
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

I feel way better after this year than I did in 2015. We weren't ready in 2015 and really fluked out to get to round two and even win a game against the Ducks. This series, we were the better team 3.5 games out of 4, and was just sunk by terrible goaltending. We're not a super top SC-contender type team, so yeah, unfortunately those bad calls affect us a bit more.

I think a lot of players stepped up in this series, especially the 3rd line (Versteeg-Bennett-Chiasson were great), and Monahan just continues to show how underrated he is. 3M line I feel like Tkachuk was playing hurt.

I think Gaudreau needs to learn to take hits a bit better. The dancing works great a lot of the time, but sometimes it was frustrating to see Ferland or Monahan barely win a battle, throw it into Gaudreau's corner since it's their only play, and immediately it's Duck's possession and it's going the other way.

I think an infusion of youth next year with Jankowski, Kylington/Andersson and maybe one or two more surprises (Parsons? Mangiapane?), along with Bennett really coming into his own will do this team good.

Pretty up and down season, but thanks again Flames!
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regorium For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2017, 11:25 PM   #249
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

There really is a lot to like about where this team is headed.

The team is still 2 or 3 seasons away from being a legit cup contender but they are building a helluva core/ nucleus. The young guys are maturing very nicely.
Lots to learn and experience but they are getting there.
Only young guy who was really disappointing was Gaudreau.Your best and highest paid player needs to show a lot more heart than what he has shown.

Gaudreau, Hamilton, Monahan , Tkachuk , Bennett, Brodie , Backlund , Frolic , Giordano are excellent

Need one of the young goalies to surge in their development and get a true #1 while they mature.

Need to re sign Stone and if possible Engelland..really strong top 3 D with Gio, Hamilton and Brodie.

Disappointed in Brouwer... love Versteeg. Hope we can re sign him.

Just completed a series that the Flames outplayed the opposition for copious amounts of time.

The goaltending was a killer.

Best PP team in the first round by a mile. Better than adequate Penalty killing.

Impressed a lot by the performance of the head coach and his staff.

Remarkable improvement as the team learned a new, right and better way to play the game.
From game 15 on they were a very good NHL team. Don't believe me, check the record in the last 67 regular season games. Even with a late season downturn.

Goaltending and their best player hurt the team badly in the playoffs.

In summary,

Excited about the Flames....moving forward.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2017, 11:25 PM   #250
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwkayaker View Post
Yep, we lost the series.

I liked the improvements in several players. I hate Kesler. Getzlaf is awesome. Monahan learned a lot from them I hope. Bennett showed many improvements; the kid is a gamer and just needs time. Versteeg...not so much improvements but he can teach the youngsters so much. Ferland wasn't used to the best of his abilities; he showed a lot more talent than many give him credit for.
Thought we spent too much time experimenting with guys like Chiasson on the top line. Seems to be a much better fit where he is now. Overall really liked the improvements of several players! Give Bennett some skilled wingers already.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:26 PM   #251
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
He had an avg series at best. My buggest pet pieve is when the flames dump and chase into a corner where gaudreau is expected to retrieve. Unfair to him.like throwing mugsy bogues alleyoop passes.
A lot of the season it was barely a dump and chase. It was mostly a dump and trot
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:27 PM   #252
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbo View Post
On the way home, I actually want to give credit to the C of Red. Loud and cheered the boys on right to the bitter end. Good job tonight Calgary fans
Much better than the crowd at Game 3 when I was there - very good to see (and hear!) tonight's crowd - at least after Mono's goal.
taxbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to taxbuster For This Useful Post:
Jbo
Old 04-19-2017, 11:27 PM   #253
Scrambler
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by soreshins View Post
Cup's ours next year!!!! Woooooooo!!!!
NICE! I'll be back in Calgary for that. Selfishly I din't want them to do it all this year since I am so far away. For a 2004-esque run I want to be there, if that's next year holy crap that would be sweet timing, haven't lived in Cowtown since 2005.
Scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:28 PM   #254
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Oh shut up and go back to HF Oilers already. You are like the 10th Oilers fan to come here pretending to be a Flames fan this season. It's old and tired.

There is a couple in here who act like regulars. They are treated as if they are Flames fans but you can tell they are still no good!
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:29 PM   #255
Sakic19
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Can anyone get sent down to play with Stockton?
Sakic19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sakic19 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2017, 11:29 PM   #256
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Not just hands. People expect him take hits.
He better learn to tak hits or learn how to avoid them agian otherwise he is proving to people who passed him over at the draft right.

Guus like Byron,Gerbe,St.Louis, Cammelarri,Marchand,Tootoo,Dashernia, etc

They all learned to take the punishment Johnny better too or he will be in effective against alot of bigger teams in this league if that all it takes.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:29 PM   #257
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

We lost this series largely because of 2 players. Elliott and Gaudreau.

- Elliot horrible in games 2, 3 & 4. Its mind boggling to watch every other series and the Ducks and see every team get competent/great goaltending and we are unfortunately stuck with not even average goaltending, just downright embarrassing goaltending. Literally 7 of the 9 goals he gave up in games 2, 3 and 4 were down right pathetic displays.

- Gaudreau really needs to dissect his game in the offseason. Invisible, soft, lack of urgency, turning over pucks, just a terrible display from a guy who's getting paid to be a star. The Ducks have made him his b****. He needs to watch tape of Patrick Kane in the playoffs.
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CGY12 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2017, 11:30 PM   #258
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
They also never looked like a team that could win that series from the puck drop of game 1. This team was in every game, at least.
As disappointing as this sweep was, I'll watch this team over that all day long
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2017, 11:31 PM   #259
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrambler View Post
NICE! I'll be back in Calgary for that. Selfishly I din't want them to do it all this year since I am so far away. For a 2004-esque run I want to be there, if that's next year holy crap that would be sweet timing, haven't lived in Cowtown since 2005.
Welcome home
midniteowl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to midniteowl For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2017, 11:32 PM   #260
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Big props to the fans at the Dome for making for a great playoff atmosphere. If they would have won on Monday I feel they would have taken the roof off the dome tonight. This city deserves more playoff hockey and hopefully the best is yet to come.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post: