Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2017, 03:40 PM   #1
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:
Default Employment dilemma

I applied for a job and got through to the reference check, there is one final interview after references before they make their final decision. They gave me a reference sheet to fill out that list a few options, but specifically says they want my current supervisor, in bold. My dilemma is that this job doesn't start for 4 months. I'm worried that if I was to put down my current Supervisor and they contact that person I could either A) not get the job and risk pissing off my current supervisor, making working conditions hostile moving forward, B) get the job but not be able to keep my current job until the new one starts and have to go a few months without pay or C) not get the job and get let go from my current position, burning a ton of bridges in the process. I don't doubt the quality of reference I will get, its the repercussions that have me hesitating.

In today's economy, having a job is a big deal. But having a job you enjoy that pays competitively in your field is an even bigger deal. I thought about contacting the HR department that wants the references and explaining this situation to them to ask if we could work around my supervisor with current colleague references or previous supervisors.

Do you think this looks shady on my behalf? Should I just roll the die and see what happens? It seems out of practice to me that they want to contact references prior to the final interview, I am used to having references contacted after they have essentially made their decision and just want 'one last check'. Is this out of practice? Am I being greedy by reaching for this new job and should just stick with what I've got and be greatful?

Last edited by GreenLantern; 04-06-2017 at 03:43 PM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 03:43 PM   #2
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it is super shady for a company to ask for your current supervisor.

I would not provide that information.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2017, 03:43 PM   #3
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Explain that you're not comfortable providing your current supervisor at this time because you don't want to mess up your current gig. Provide other supervisory references (previous jobs or people that supervised you but have moved to another employer).

If they're a good employer they'll understand. If they don't I'd question whether the job is worth it.

Source: I work in HR and this comes up all the time.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2017, 03:44 PM   #4
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

How friendly are you with your current supervisor? Could you have an honest discussion with them about the situation and trust that they wouldn't take it wrong?
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to llwhiteoutll For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2017, 03:45 PM   #5
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I actually think my current supervisor would take it well, but I don't think there would be a future for me here afterwards. He is a great person, but I can't blame him for not wanting me around if I've made it clear I am looking to move on.. so if I was stick my neck out and NOT get the job, I am a betting man that by summer I would be replaced in my current position.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:47 PM   #6
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

I should also add that if you're at the point where you've gone through interviews and they're doing reference checks they probably want to hire you unless they dig up a big flashing neon sign that says STAY AWAY so just explain the situation and be reasonable.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2017, 03:50 PM   #7
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
I should also add that if you're at the point where you've gone through interviews and they're doing reference checks they probably want to hire you unless they dig up a big flashing neon sign that says STAY AWAY so just explain the situation and be reasonable.
Now it's tricky because I know there is still a final interview for the job and I also know I am not the only applicant still being considered, I have some inside information through a neutral third party in this case. So just making it past references is actually not a guarantee at this point and it is still very much a competition until the end of that final interview. I believe in this situation the market is setting the tone for the hiring process, they can afford to be extremely picky and are choosing to do so..

But your advice was to explain the situation to the new employer or current?
Old 04-06-2017, 03:51 PM   #8
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

ok, so your applying for another job, while working at your current job, and I'm assuming that you haven't told your current job that your looking for work elsewhere.

And they're asking for a current employer reference.

Personally I would refuse and I would explain to them that giving them a reference to your current job will put your employment there in jeopardy.

I would then tell them that the only way that I would provide them with a job busting reference like that is if I have an offer on the table before I give it to them.

That's the dumbest thing that I've ever heard, either they're completely oblivious, or they're trying to corner force you into committing to them without them committing to you.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2017, 03:52 PM   #9
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It's very weird that they are doing reference checks before a final interview to be honest. In my experiences the reference check stage has always been the final stop before hiring.

I would explain your situation to the HR team looking to hire you. If they are professionals they should understand, especially without the job starting for 4 months. Something just seems weird about that entire situation.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2017, 03:53 PM   #10
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I wish I could give more details but as we know anonymity in this case is my friend, last thing I need is this showing up on their desk. I work in the world of research though so things are a bit funny when tied to grant timelines.

I appreciate the feedback so far though, its re assuring to know I'm not the only one that finds this odd.. kind of just got blindsided by it. I think a brief conversation with HR just laying out my concerns and asking if the reference is completely necessary is justified given the fact they are asking me to put my career on the line for a chance at an interview.

Also, just to be clear I've already gone through a bit of an application process and an initial interview, so it isn't like they just asked for it up front before meeting me. So obviously they like me to make it this far.. just I know for a fact making it past references does not guarantee the job.

Last edited by GreenLantern; 04-06-2017 at 03:58 PM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 03:54 PM   #11
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

There is one very clear solution here that I can't believe hasn't been suggested yet. Just be careful to monitor the phone or it could go all wrong....

Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2017, 04:00 PM   #12
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'm kind of surprised because references requirements are almost useless, most companies when asked will confirm your date of employment and then leave it at that because of the ability to be sued if you say something negative that costs an individual an opportunity.

Asking for a current employer as a reference can cause some problems, because if you don't get the job and lose the other one could be grounds for a lawsuit.

They're basically pressuring you to do something that could possibly cause harm.

I'm not a lawyer, but I can see how I would refuse this, with most companies they ask me to provide references and leave it up to me to decide who they're going to be.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2017, 04:09 PM   #13
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I'm kind of surprised because references requirements are almost useless, most companies when asked will confirm your date of employment and then leave it at that because of the ability to be sued if you say something negative that costs an individual an opportunity.

Asking for a current employer as a reference can cause some problems, because if you don't get the job and lose the other one could be grounds for a lawsuit.

They're basically pressuring you to do something that could possibly cause harm.

I'm not a lawyer, but I can see how I would refuse this, with most companies they ask me to provide references and leave it up to me to decide who they're going to be.
Agreed.

I actually have never been asked for a reference in my life.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2017, 04:21 PM   #14
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I actually think my current supervisor would take it well, but I don't think there would be a future for me here afterwards. He is a great person, but I can't blame him for not wanting me around if I've made it clear I am looking to move on.. so if I was stick my neck out and NOT get the job, I am a betting man that by summer I would be replaced in my current position.
If you were to talk to your current supervisor, you could frame it as an opportunity that was so amazing you had to pursue it, not that you're looking to jump ship, just in case this doesn't work out & no other prospects come up.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calf For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2017, 04:31 PM   #15
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I've never had an issue explaining I do not want my current employers contacted until after I have accepted an offer.

Seems to me, if they balk at that, do you really want to work there?
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2017, 04:36 PM   #16
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
I've never had an issue explaining I do not want my current employers contacted until after I have accepted an offer.

Seems to me, if they balk at that, do you really want to work there?
^^^^
This, but it should be this
vvvv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
There is one very clear solution here that I can't believe hasn't been suggested yet. Just be careful to monitor the phone or it could go all wrong....

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2017, 04:39 PM   #17
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

I've been in this dilemma, and required permission from my employer to apply for a job with a vendor. It was in the contract they had with us, and was bi-lateral. I understood that, and the reasoning. It was a big-league once every 10 year opportunity. I asked for permission to apply, and it was granted with zero hostility. In fact it was "Hope you get it man, it's a life changer." Anyone in this building would have jumped at the chance to be a candidate.

I actually ended up withdrawing my application as I was promoted within, and took the guaranteed promotion. But the end of that story was, the company valued me enough to advance me within once they found out I wanted to spread my wings. I have seen this happen a lot. So it may work out for you.

However, if there is no working relationship, or contract between the two companies, it is asinine for a company to request you potentially risk losing your job, to simply have the opportunity to apply. That is a very poorly managed company, and says something about them right out of the gate.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2017, 04:41 PM   #18
Harju
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I've seen this once where it was handled by stating that the current supervisor can be contacted after a written offer has been received. The person was hired.
Harju is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Harju For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2017, 06:24 PM   #19
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually thought that you explained it exactly correctly in your first post!
Old 04-06-2017, 07:51 PM   #20
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it worth it? If it is a much better job maybe it's worth the risk. Also maybe your supervisor gets it. I would never stand in the way of someone trying to get something better. The most your supervisor likely expects is a reasonable notice from you in the event you leave. Until then it would be business as usual if I were him/her. Take a risk. It might pay off.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post: