Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2017, 03:13 PM   #21
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostiex View Post
This had got to be the weiredst post lol
but thanks for all the insight and the PM.

No worries man. It sounded pretty frikkin familiar. I normal try and say hi to everyone that comes in, but I was tied up last night and didn't get a chance until after you left.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 03:17 PM   #22
codfather
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Explains the low KM's then since they take their helicopter everywhere.
They take the helicopter because the emissions are lower.
codfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 03:19 PM   #23
HappyGilmore
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
Unless you're doing neutral tranny drops or not doing routine maintenance there is little concern over 'bagging' on a car.

Bag on your car.
Change your fluids.
Continue bagging on your car.

They're meant to be driven.
Wrong on so many levels. I'd much rather a "lady driven" car over one that's doing burnouts at green lights, red lining hard, downshifting hard or just being driven hard in general. Bagging is a real thing
Old 04-06-2017, 04:45 PM   #24
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGilmore View Post
Wrong on so many levels. I'd much rather a "lady driven" car over one that's doing burnouts at green lights, red lining hard, downshifting hard or just being driven hard in general. Bagging is a real thing
I know quite a few "lady-driven" cars with terrible body damage, all 4 are curb scraped wheels, and have NEVER changed any fluids (including oil).

Also lady driven cars are washed less. It's a fact.

So, I'll take a lightly bagged car over a lady-driven one in that case.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:57 PM   #25
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
I don't think I know one person under 35, working for VW Corporate, median age is probably around 48. All of them are professional with big time degrees. These cars are driven around by accountants, analyats and bean counters, not donkeys like me at a dealership that do drive cars hard.
A family member is at Toyota Canada Corporate and a corporate car is part of his compensation. Every 6 months he hands in the keys and gets a new car. Because it's such a mundane routine thing he's hardly driving the wheels off of it. It's a privilege, so if you do really stupid things and they find out you lose the perk.

I'd totally go for one of these if I was in the used market.

As an aside, it's a pretty cool perk - a new Lexus / Toyota every 6 months so you're always up to date in terms of features/tech and that new car feel. He even mixes it up in terms of seasons - a Lexus F Sport for the summer and a Highlander Ltd for the winters.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 04:59 PM   #26
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
I know quite a few "lady-driven" cars with terrible body damage, all 4 are curb scraped wheels, and have NEVER changed any fluids (including oil).
Yeah, it definitely depends on the lady. My lady drives cautiously...but has also hit a few parked items and has no idea where one would even go about refilling the windshield washer fluid, never mind checking about things like oil. Regardless of sex though, personally I think it's always nice to know who the driver is...you can get a pretty good read about how the car was taken care of.

It also depends on the type of car...I'd be much more inclined to buy a Golf Wagon without knowing the owner, as opposed to say a WRX or Mustang.

I dont think you have much to worry about corporate-car Golf.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2017, 05:42 PM   #27
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

This thread has perked up my ears as my wife is currently looking for a new/used midsize SUV. Is there a way to get a handle on these employee owned autos, are they listed as such?
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:09 AM   #28
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

even at only 9000 kms, I wouldn't worry if it were a rental...
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 07:54 AM   #29
frostiex
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I am so glad to go down to see Trevor (Pylon). It was a pleasure meeting you. Absolutely thankful for the CP deal and pleasant experience.

Can't wait!
frostiex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 08:06 AM   #30
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
A family member is at Toyota Canada Corporate and a corporate car is part of his compensation. Every 6 months he hands in the keys and gets a new car. Because it's such a mundane routine thing he's hardly driving the wheels off of it. It's a privilege, so if you do really stupid things and they find out you lose the perk.

I'd totally go for one of these if I was in the used market.

As an aside, it's a pretty cool perk - a new Lexus / Toyota every 6 months so you're always up to date in terms of features/tech and that new car feel. He even mixes it up in terms of seasons - a Lexus F Sport for the summer and a Highlander Ltd for the winters.
Damn thats such an awesome perk
flamesforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 08:22 AM   #31
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
even at only 9000 kms, I wouldn't worry if it were a rental...
I would never buy a rental after I almost got stuck with a low km "Certified Pre-Owned" that used to be a rental when the dealer didn't divulge it had previously been in a major front end collision that wasn't properly repaired. We found out 6 months later when we started having issues, luckily the dealer made it right and replaced the vehicle, what would have happened if we didn't find out until 1 or 2 years later.

What I didn't know at the time is that most rental companies are self insured so their collisions don't show up on car reports.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:04 AM   #32
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnarpy View Post
This thread has perked up my ears as my wife is currently looking for a new/used midsize SUV. Is there a way to get a handle on these employee owned autos, are they listed as such?
Are you looking for a VW? If so, I might know where you can start. Might need a "finders fee" though, to divulge the source.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RougeUnderoos For This Useful Post:
V
Old 04-07-2017, 09:44 AM   #33
Lanny's Stache
Farm Team Player

Exp:

At one time I worked for a car company at the corporate office. A perk of the job was getting these corporate demos. I would say that 99% of the cars you get are in excellent shape, as they driven by mid to higher level employees that have these cars tied to their employment. If you had an incident in the car (ie, accident or were seen driving it like a moron) it would have an impact on your employment as they are usually self-insured by the corporation. These people get new cars so often that the appeal of driving the wheels off of it just isn't there.
Lanny's Stache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:15 AM   #34
Simon96Taco
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Pylon, (perhaps this is off topic, and not meant to derail....PM me if that's the case) what is the CP deal?

Also, what's going on with the whole TDI recall thing? I was somewhat interested in getting a used hatchback TDI a little while back, then the whole software scandal thing happened and I got scared off. Is there a final resolution to this? Is a used TDI something to steer clear of?
Simon96Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:27 AM   #35
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon96Taco View Post
Also, what's going on with the whole TDI recall thing? I was somewhat interested in getting a used hatchback TDI a little while back, then the whole software scandal thing happened and I got scared off. Is there a final resolution to this? Is a used TDI something to steer clear of?
From what it sounds like diesel fix that VW came out with makes the car environmentally compliant, but really neuters the car in terms of performance. So you're better off getting one that hasn't had the fix done (don't think VW can sell you one, but perhaps its ok on the secondary market), or just getting something else altogether.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:28 AM   #36
Simon96Taco
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
From what it sounds like diesel fix that VW came out with makes the car environmentally compliant, but really neuters the car in terms of performance. So you're better off getting one that hasn't had the fix done (don't think VW can sell you one, but perhaps its ok on the secondary market), or just getting something else altogether.
I see. That's kind of what I was worried about, having a choice between either a) a neutered car or b) a super-polluter.
Simon96Taco is offline   Reply With Quote