Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2017, 10:38 AM   #1
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:
Default Decent Prices for Hockey Equipment

Hey guys, I'm looking at buying hockey equipment today and I'm wondering what I should be ball parking the prices at. I'm looking to buy:

- Helmet
- Shoulder Pads
- Elbow Pads
- Hockey Pants
- Jock Shorts
- Shin Pads
- Hockey Socks

When I looked online at middle of the range stuff it came in around $350ish. To those of you who are more experienced with hockey equipment, does that sound right? Also, since it's a non-contact league should I just buy the cheapest stuff possible?

Also any suggestions on where to go? I don't want used stuff. People recommended B&P Cycle to me for older clearance gear. Any where else I should try for good deals?
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:40 AM   #2
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a non-contact league, and you need elbow pads? Nah. I'd bet some guys won't even be wearing shoulder pads. And yes, get cheap stuff, or find deals on weird colours or older gear. Even the cheap stuff is generally fine for stuff like what you're talking about as long as it's reasonably comfortable.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:43 AM   #3
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Short of shin pads and a jock, elbow pads are the last thing I'd be heading to the ice without.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:45 AM   #4
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
It's a non-contact league, and you need elbow pads? Nah. I'd bet some guys won't even be wearing shoulder pads. And yes, get cheap stuff, or find deals on weird colours or older gear. Even the cheap stuff is generally fine for stuff like what you're talking about as long as it's reasonably comfortable.
As a beginner, I'd suggest getting it all just in case.

You should be getting to the point of the year hockey stuff should be starting to clear out, so just keep an eye out for flyers.

Spend the money on skates and a helmet, the rest you can cheap out on.
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:46 AM   #5
TurdFerguson
Franchise Player

Exp:

In my experience, id say 40% of beer league players ive played with go without shoulder pads. Elbow Pads though - i cant recall anyone playing without them - that seems silly to me.

but yeah, no need to anything fancy - just make sure what you get fits properly.

Adrenaline or PHL is generally my go-to. Not sure there prices are any better or worse then others though. If you have time, watch for sales and they are pretty common (PHL just had a 25% off all protective, for example)
Old 04-03-2017, 10:50 AM   #6
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only piece of optional equipment IMO for men's league are shoulder pads. Elbow pads are a must, especially if you're learning. You WILL fall. I wear those flimsy ass sherwood pads after not wearing anything for the past 5 or 6 seasons. It at least protects somewhat from sticks and pucks.

Sportcheck from time to time will have deals wherein if you buy 3 pieces of gear you get 15% off, 4 is 20 and 5 is 25% off all your gear. Keep an eye out for that deal.

Otherwise, just be patient and buy gear as it comes on sale. Pro Hockey Life probably has the best selection, and they'll price match. And you don't need the highest end gear either. Don't get sucked into the marketing.

Highly recommend testing sticks out at Pro Hockey Life's testing facility before you buy. Not every $300 stick will work for everyone.

EDIT: spend the good money on skates. And make sure you try the other gear on from different brands. Some fit differently, and its all about the fit.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:50 AM   #7
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah, you definitely need elbow pads. I don't play with shoulder pads, but I'd guess 1/3-1/2 of the players don't. You definitely need everything else.

Agreed with CMPunk, get the best fitting skates and helmet+visor you can afford/find. Can spend less on everything else.

And get a good mouthguard as well...mine is from the dentist since the cheap ones at the stores hurt and I find it harder to breath.

PHL/Sport Chek/Adrenaline are all the same for your shin/shoulder/pants. I would try out Professional Skate (marda loop) for skates though. They are VERY good and you should get better service there than a 17yo kid at the other ones. And Base Hockey at Centennial/Flames for sticks. They have all there sticks there and they are fully custom for $150-$165 (if you want to spend that much on a stick). They are indestructible and I'd say 1/3 of my teammates use them.

Last edited by FLAMESRULE; 04-03-2017 at 10:53 AM.
FLAMESRULE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:59 AM   #8
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Thanks for the tips guys.
I'll probably buy the shoulder pads anyways, just to have them. Not going to skip out on anything else.

I'll be on my old skates and using my old stick for now and will eventually upgrade as long as I continue to play.
Old 04-03-2017, 11:01 AM   #9
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Short of shin pads and a jock, elbow pads are the last thing I'd be heading to the ice without.
For a casual non-contact game? I mean... why? Seriously curious why you'd say that. You're almost never going to take a puck there, and if you fall, whatever. It doesn't particularly hurt and you usually don't fall flush on your elbow anyway. Lots of things you need more than that. Helmet, obviously necessary and they won't let you on the ice without it. Shin pads, yes, you're going to get hit with the puck. Gloves, obviously, you're going to use your hands and it's easy to get an accidental slash (or an intentional one). Jock, self-explanatory. Shoulder pads are optional too, but you're more likely to get hit with a puck in the chest or back or crash into something with your shoulder than your elbow.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:01 AM   #10
TurdFerguson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Better make sure your old stick still has some goals left in it. Sometime i run out and need to get a new stick
Old 04-03-2017, 11:02 AM   #11
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
For a casual non-contact game? I mean... why? Seriously curious why you'd say that. You're almost never going to take a puck there, and if you fall, whatever. It doesn't particularly hurt and you usually don't fall flush on your elbow anyway. Lots of things you need more than that. Helmet, obviously necessary and they won't let you on the ice without it. Shin pads, yes, you're going to get hit with the puck. Gloves, obviously, you're going to use your hands and it's easy to get an accidental slash (or an intentional one). Jock, self-explanatory. Shoulder pads are optional too, but you're more likely to get hit with a puck in the chest or back or crash into something with your shoulder than your elbow.
If you aren't wearing elbow pads, that's precisely where you'll land. Especially when you're new to the game.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2017, 11:02 AM   #12
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Polak is a new skater.

- Helmet - you have one head. I just bought my boy mid level helmet (adult size for $170. Spend money on your lid.

- Shoulder Pads - nah, you don't really need them. If you feel safer with them, buy something cheap.

- Elbow Pads - yes this is needed, most times elbow will be the first point of contact for a new skater when they fall.

- Hockey Pants - no biggy, just make sure they some tail bone coverage, buy used

- Jock Shorts - make sure you get a cup with soft sides

- Shin Pads - meh, buy a used set

- Hockey Socks - cheap as possible.

If you are buying skates spend money there for mid level pair. Nothing is worse than sore feet when you are learning to skate.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2017, 11:04 AM   #13
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Elbow pads are key to new skaters.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:35 AM   #14
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'd recommend getting full cage too especially if you are playing in a beginner league, surrounded by guys who can't keep track of their sticks.

For mouthguard I would get a SISU guard, most comfortable guard I've worn, not expensive. Can get it at 'Professional Skate' in Marde Loop.

Edit: and to add to the elbow pad non-debate, I play in a non-contact league and I beleive elbow pads are mandatory.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to puckedoff For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2017, 11:37 AM   #15
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Yup I'll be getting a cage. Don't trust other people learning to play with their sticks.

I can always take it off later.
Old 04-03-2017, 11:43 AM   #16
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you're new, take the time and go to a shop like B&P or Adrenaline Source for Sports. Adrenaline does the new player orientation for the NCHL and they spend a lot of time helping brand new players fit their gear.

I've only been playing for about a year and I spent more on certain gear than I should have. When you're just starting out, getting stuff that fits right and is comfortable is most important. If you stick with it for a while, you'll eventually start upgrading pieces as you go.

Helmet and skates are definitely places you don't want to cut corners on.

I wear shoulder pads mostly because I was afraid of running into people (which happens from time to time). I've blocked a few shots with my shoulders and chest which I expect would have hurt a lot more if I didn't wear my shoulder pads. But a lot of people in low level beer league don't wear them.

Elbow pads, in my view, are a must. You don't need top of the line pads, but you will fall. A lot. And you will fall on all parts of your body. Elbows are a really popular place to fall. Hurts like a bugger to fall on an exposed elbow.

A few readily-available resources for buying equipment are available. I like these two in particular:

http://newtohockey.com/hockey-equipm...adult-players/
http://howtohockey.com/your-guide-to...ipment-online/
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fredr123 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2017, 11:44 AM   #17
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

As a beginner buy all the equipment. Wear a cage. If you're going to drop cash on anything, it should be skates. Then maybe high quality gloves. Get pants and a helmet that fit. The rest can be bought cheaply online. It's too bad Sportmart is closed. That place was awesome for hockey equipment.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:47 AM   #18
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am stunned that some guys will play without elbow pads.

I played defence in a slap shot legume, shoulder pads that came down low took the sting out of more than one errant slapper
Old 04-03-2017, 11:48 AM   #19
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Make sure you get a tinted visor. People love that.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sketchyt For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2017, 11:53 AM   #20
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post
Make sure you get a tinted visor. People love that.
And white gloves!

You actually just missed out on Pro Hockey Life's extra 20% off Clearance Sale. Ended yesterday, but I'm sure they'll have it again. Sales on top of sales.

Elbow pads are a must. Don't know anyone who doesn't play with them, even in non-contact leagues.

Generally, I'd say stick to cheaper entry to mid level equipment which is generally lower-profile. I find the expensive high-end stuff is for kids in hitting leagues where protection is primarily for body contact.

If you're just looking for protection from sticks/pucks you'll probably appreciate the increased mobility/agility of cheaper equipment while still providing just enough protection from falls and the occasional contact.
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote