Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2017, 12:46 PM   #1
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Belize

I was wondering if anyone has any insight on travelling to or living in Belize (specifically Belize City).

The company I work for might have an opportunity for me there and have already scheduled a meeting with me and the office there. I had expressed interest before like 9 months ago, but I didn't think anything would come from it. Now I am getting cold feet.

There are some other circumstances as me position here might be being eliminated, so the alternative might be looking for a new job soon.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:47 PM   #2
Simon96Taco
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Are you hiring?

Simon96Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simon96Taco For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2017, 12:50 PM   #3
Bane
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Belize is the last place on earth that you can find Fanta Root Beer.

I've heard good things about Belize from a friend of mine who travels there yearly, but she only passes through Belize City on her way to San Pedro.
Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:53 PM   #4
Texas Flames Fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I have been to Belize. It is a beautiful place but I was told never to leave the tourist area as it is a very dangerous country. Also there is a huge fine if you are caught giving money to the poor in Belize. Bogota Colombia is also known to be a dangerous place too but I felt much safer there than when I was in Belize.
Texas Flames Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:58 PM   #5
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I was wondering if anyone has any insight on travelling to or living in Belize (specifically Belize City).

The company I work for might have an opportunity for me there and have already scheduled a meeting with me and the office there. I had expressed interest before like 9 months ago, but I didn't think anything would come from it. Now I am getting cold feet.

There are some other circumstances as me position here might be being eliminated, so the alternative might be looking for a new job soon.
I know two things:

It was formerly called British Honduras

&

Only country in Central America where English is the official language

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:21 PM   #6
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

I have been 3 times and fairly familiar with the country. My best friend's family spends about 6 months a year down there. So here is some small insight.

Belize City is absolutely not a place I would want to be. Compared to the rest of the country, it has high crime, poor infrastructure and is generally recommended to get away from right away. Many people get the wrong impression of the country because of the city.

The rest of Belize varies. The islands like Caye Caulker and San Pedro are great spots, lots of tourists, but if you are a fan of things like scuba diving, would be paradise. The mainland has numerous towns along the coast like Dangriga, Hopkins and Placencia.

Belize is a fairly poor country by our standards, but the people are fantastic and very friendly (Outside of Belize City)

The roads are not great, but there are two small airlines that service the towns and range between 15min to 30 min flights (approx. 60-100 American)

From a lifestyle point of view, you can say bye to things like McDonalds, Starbucks etc. The only fast food place I recall was a subway. English is widely spoken and is still considered a British commonwealth. The prince was there a few years ago when I was down there. There are only a couple brands of beer that are available and most of the time it is either belkin or lighthouse. A bag of doritos will cost you 6-7 bucks American.

My guess is you may be in Banking? As CIBC and Scotiabank have branches in the towns. Banking for the most part is easy enough.

All in all, Belize is a poor country, and you will be giving up many of the luxuries of North American living. In exchange you will be in a country with a ton of culture, friendly people, beautiful weather and a easy-going lifestyle.

I know its a beer commercial but sums up the country well in my experience.

Last edited by Jbo; 03-21-2017 at 01:26 PM.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:00 PM   #7
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked the zoo in Belize city. You need a cab driver to give you the zoo tour though otherwise you won't see much. It's a natural habitat sort of zoo with only a few fences. Mostly the people are caged in. A tapir peed on me there. A giant bird stole my hat. I petted a jaguar. Lots of fun. I didn't feel too endangered in the rest of the city but I'm an idiot who pets jaguars so what do I know.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2017, 02:57 PM   #8
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
I liked the zoo in Belize city. You need a cab driver to give you the zoo tour though otherwise you won't see much. It's a natural habitat sort of zoo with only a few fences. Mostly the people are caged in. A tapir peed on me there. A giant bird stole my hat. I petted a jaguar. Lots of fun. I didn't feel too endangered in the rest of the city but I'm an idiot who pets jaguars so what do I know.
I get the distinct impression that that may not have been a zoo. I mean...did you ever get out of the taxi? Because, he might have just been lost in the jungle.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2017, 03:27 PM   #9
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Looks like kind of a mix between carribean and latino culture. Cool looking place.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 03:30 PM   #10
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well they said it was a zoo when they took my wallet and gave me directions back to town.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:50 PM   #11
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

I looked into travelling to Belize and heard the same things. Belize City is not a place you want to stay, due to crime. Just a quick transit to get to the islands (I was looking at a trip to Caye Caulker at the time). Ended up not going on that trip, so didn't get to see for myself.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:36 PM   #12
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been there once and Belize City is dangerous. I would not want to live there. Elsewhere the country has very beautiful areas and some of the islands are amazing. There is wonderful diving and snorkeling as Belize has, I believe, the second largest barrier reef in the world, if I recall correctly.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:12 PM   #13
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Belize city is definitely dirty and scuzzy. I didn't feel it was all that dangerous though. I walked around at night mostly around the areas where the ferries leave from and didn't feel threatened. The murder rate is high, but if you aren't in the drug business its very unlikely to affect you. I bought a vehicle there and drove around all over the city. No problems with traffic, etc.

Keep in mind that even if you are working in Belize City you don't have to live in the city itself. There are only around 50,000 residents so you could live near the airport and commute into the city in under half an hour I imagine. If you bought a decent boat you could potentially live on Caye Caulker and boat into work. I think its a 30 minute boat ride.

I really liked Belize and I think it would be a decent place to live depending on your personality. Do you like the small town vibe? The entire country has around 300,000 people I believe, so everywhere has a very small town feel. I felt like the majority of people I met there were friendly, and strangers are more likely to randomly make a comment/greeting to you than in most other places.

Keep in mind that the number of services/activities is limited due to the small population. If you like hustle and bustle you may end up bored.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:27 PM   #14
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I may have been a little confused when I was there, but I think the locals really like Phil Collins in Belize. Like hardcore dancehall reggae versions of One More Night and Sussudio played everywhere I went. I still can't get that one out of my head.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:30 PM   #15
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for the input. Just reading around the net, it sounds like most people feel Belize City should be avoided, but there are are nice villages within commuting distance.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:11 AM   #16
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

A young woman who was at my sister-in-law's wedding, was murdered in Belize.

Other good friends retired there near the Mexican border, and seemed to have no major problems.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:16 AM   #17
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Flames Fan View Post
I have been to Belize. It is a beautiful place but I was told never to leave the tourist area as it is a very dangerous country. Also there is a huge fine if you are caught giving money to the poor in Belize. Bogota Colombia is also known to be a dangerous place too but I felt much safer there than when I was in Belize.
Maybe in the early 90's. Bogota has a lower murder rate than the majority of major US cities.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:23 AM   #18
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
A young woman who was at my sister-in-law's wedding, was murdered in Belize.

Other good friends retired there near the Mexican border, and seemed to have no major problems.
Soooo...50/50 then?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:16 AM   #19
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Soooo...50/50 then?
That's the way I see it. You either get murdered or you don't. Same thing if you are Chinese and you come to Canada. A "Luka Magnotta" either kills and eats you, or he doesn't.

Anyway, I just got an email from the office manager there and he is pushing for me to go down and check it out, so I might just do that.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:23 PM   #20
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

So... a couple years later, I am going to Belize after all. Does anyone have suggestions aimed at tourists instead of living there?

I will be staying on Ambergris Caye and the transportation and hotel have already been arranged, so really looking for suggestions for activities and restaurants/bars.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote