Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-21-2017, 11:55 AM   #1
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Parking Ticket at SAIT

Question for everyone.

There's one portion of SAIT where they don't have a "no parking" sign on the particular block, which is where I got a ticket. The administrative review said that the "no parking on roadway" sign at the entrance applies to every road on their property and thus it applies regardless of the signage on that particular block.

I always thought no parking signs only applied until the next intersection. Do I have a case to fight it?

Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:01 PM   #2
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Is there a sign that says "No Parking on Roadway"?

Did you park on the roadway?
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to llwhiteoutll For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2017, 12:04 PM   #3
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

If there wasn't some sort of pay meter for you to feed when parking on the street, then I doubt you thought you were parked legally. Let's be honest, you know there isn't any free parking at SAIT.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:10 PM   #4
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Who issued the ticket? Might be worth the risk of not paying it.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:12 PM   #5
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah, I'm aware that there isn't supposed to be free parking at SAIT. But similarly, there are random blocks downtown that are clearly not meant to be free parking but because of signage reasons they are.

I didn't see a sign that says "no parking on roadway". The labeled sign on the diagram is a standard no parking sign that you'd see on any road. The CPA review says there is one at every entrance to SAIT, but even if I take that as true, how would I know that a "no parking on roadway" sign on 19th ave applies to every road within SAIT? (well, now I do, but in a legal sense)
Old 03-21-2017, 12:23 PM   #6
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
Yeah, I'm aware that there isn't supposed to be free parking at SAIT. But similarly, there are random blocks downtown that are clearly not meant to be free parking but because of signage reasons they are.

I didn't see a sign that says "no parking on roadway". The labeled sign on the diagram is a standard no parking sign that you'd see on any road. The CPA review says there is one at every entrance to SAIT, but even if I take that as true, how would I know that a "no parking on roadway" sign on 19th ave applies to every road within SAIT? (well, now I do, but in a legal sense)
Where is the free downtown parking? I would like to park there.

How many other people were parked there when you decided to park?

Also I'm not trying to sound like a jerk or anything, but regardless if you saw a sign or not it should be common sense that you were going to get a ticket for either not paying or illegal parking.

I would just pay the ticket and chalk it up to losing to the house.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:28 PM   #7
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Double Down and don't pay 'till you register your car!!!

I've had tremendous luck with doing that, mind you I pretty much only get parking tickets from parking overnight in visitor at friends condos. Only ticket I've ever ended up having to pay was a City of Calgary one when my car was almost towed for parking at Shell on 17th Ave DT.

That ticket looked different than the CPA ones with the Green and Yellow circle with a P in it. That ticket said City of Calgary and had a red and grey color scheme, so if it's like that, I'd pay it.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:28 PM   #8
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's tough to tell, but how wide is it? Is there a curb lane you parked in, or were you basically parked in the road? Not that it matters much as I don't think you have a case.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:29 PM   #9
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Are SAIT grounds private property, where they can make their own parking rules?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:31 PM   #10
Texas Flames Fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yes and they have their own private impound lot
Texas Flames Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:32 PM   #11
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Flames Fan View Post
Yes and they have their own private impound lot
Texas Flames Fan from Texas.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2017, 12:32 PM   #12
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

So you basically just admitted that you knew you were in the wrong. Just pay the ticket and move on.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:09 PM   #13
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Where is the free downtown parking? I would like to park there.

How many other people were parked there when you decided to park?

Also I'm not trying to sound like a jerk or anything, but regardless if you saw a sign or not it should be common sense that you were going to get a ticket for either not paying or illegal parking.

There's a bunch on 13th ave behind hotel arts. There's some on 2nd street near the PARK building (they haven't put up signs yet after construction, though sometimes they have some temporary signs). I guess it's beltline moreso than DT. There used to be some in DT as well but they seem to have corrected it. There's a block around the new smith building (6th st, 15th ave) that doesn't have signs yet either.

There were about 8 other cars. 5 of them were in the red highlighted portion, which IMO is 100% no parking. 3 of them were in the same segment that I was in, where there isn't a sign.

Quote:
Are SAIT grounds private property, where they can make their own parking rules?
Yes, but they still have to tell everyone about the rules no?

Quote:
It's tough to tell, but how wide is it? Is there a curb lane you parked in, or were you basically parked in the road? Not that it matters much as I don't think you have a case.
That image is from some time gone by, but it's a standard sidewalk/curb. The entire road is wide enough for a 4 lane (2 each direction) road, but no markings to denote it as such.

Quote:
So you basically just admitted that you knew you were in the wrong. Just pay the ticket and move on.
My question is not around morality. It's around whether my understanding of parking signage is just wrong.
The Following User Says Thank You to Regorium For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2017, 01:22 PM   #14
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, but they still have to tell everyone about the rules no?
the "no parking on roadway" sign at the entrance - probably sufficient notice
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2017, 01:28 PM   #15
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who gave you the ticket? Was it SAIT or Calgary Parking? Because if it's a university parking ticket, can't you just ignore those?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:35 PM   #16
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Who gave you the ticket? Was it SAIT or Calgary Parking? Because if it's a university parking ticket, can't you just ignore those?
Wait, now the university is handing out tickets at SAIT? I am really confused.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:02 PM   #17
Nsd1
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Was this on a weekend? Funny thing is that where you have the red no parking line, people park there all the time on the weekends and I've never seen someone get a ticket for it.

Sait uses CPA, they don't issue their own tickets.
Nsd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:05 PM   #18
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd keep fighting. Go out and take pictures of the parking area you parked in and go survey the signs at the entrances to see how clear they really are and then build a case. Study the parking act and quote it in your response.

Top secret free parking is the best kind, I managed to go through university fighting off most of my tickets based on similar arguments to the one your making. The one thing that might get you is if they have a Park only in designated areas as that implies there needs to be a sign that allows you to park but you could argue that visibility is insufficient and the fact that some of the roadways have specific no parking signs implies that areas without the no parking signs are suitable to park in.

Last edited by GGG; 03-21-2017 at 02:07 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:30 PM   #19
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Since moving to Calgary from Winnipeg, I have been tempted to park on MacLeod Trail in one of the many stretches that don't have "no parking" signs. Similar volume roads in Winnipeg (Portage ave and Pembina Hwy) have on street parking.

Of course, using a car that I don't mind if I never see again.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post: