Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2017, 10:59 AM   #41
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Wasn't the Revenant filmed just outside of Canmore, and not within the National Park?
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:03 AM   #42
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Production for this is still going ahead, so I wonder where they will film in the area?
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:04 AM   #43
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Wasn't the Revenant filmed just outside of Canmore, and not within the National Park?
I think it was mostly done at Fortress which I think is in Banff National Park, but it might be in Peter Lougheed Provincial Park? It's actually hard to find a clear map with the parks boundaries by googling apparently.

EDIT: By this map, if it's accurate, it might not be in a park at all (Fortress is east of Spray Lakes res.) http://www.planetware.com/i/map/CDN/...l-park-map.jpg
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 03-09-2017 at 11:08 AM.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:05 AM   #44
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

What if they slightly changed the villain, fired Tom Jackson and bought in Naveen Andrews (you know that dude from lost) they could still have an Indian Villain.

Then it would probably be ok.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:11 AM   #45
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Also, isn't this going against Freedom of speech? Should I not be able to tell a story and use whatever race or ethnicity in whatever role I choose? Films use whites, blacks, asians, indians and aliens as the bad guy all of the time. Aboriginal people are off limits for some reason? Stupid.
I think this is pretty lame of Parks Canada. Not as lame as Liam Neeson Revenge Movie #54, but lame nonetheless.

It's not a "freedom of speech" issue though. Nobody is stopping the story from being told. They can still film it.

I do have to wonder what actual indigenous people in Canada think of this. My guess is that they'd be just as offended as I was about Jack Nicholson playing an Irish gang leader in The Departed.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:18 AM   #46
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah, but you know what we all think of the Irish don't you?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:21 AM   #47
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I think it was mostly done at Fortress which I think is in Banff National Park, but it might be in Peter Lougheed Provincial Park? It's actually hard to find a clear map with the parks boundaries by googling apparently.

EDIT: By this map, if it's accurate, it might not be in a park at all (Fortress is east of Spray Lakes res.) http://www.planetware.com/i/map/CDN/...l-park-map.jpg
I remember my friend going Hiking one day to the set as it was being prepared (probably trespassing in the process). They did find it and got some pictures. I thought they had said it was not in the park.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:23 AM   #48
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
It's not a "freedom of speech" issue though. Nobody is stopping the story from being told. They can still film it.
This is wrong, both at law and in principle. This is essentially the same argument used by some campus administrators for creating "free speech zones" that you have to apply for weeks in advance - e.g. "if you want to have a political protest against something, you can do it between the hours of 10 and 2 in the gazebo in the park behind the biology labs." The fact that it's still possible to express the content in some way does not remove it from the ambit of s.2(b) and absolutely does not make it "not a free speech issue".

Many people's understanding of the Charter and what it protects, and freedom of speech as a principle, is really limited.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:32 AM   #49
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I see no justification for denying permission assuming there isn't lingering environmental impact. Parks Canada's role is management and protection of national parks, not censorship. Case closed as far as I'm concerned.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2017, 12:52 PM   #50
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
This is wrong, both at law and in principle. This is essentially the same argument used by some campus administrators for creating "free speech zones" that you have to apply for weeks in advance - e.g. "if you want to have a political protest against something, you can do it between the hours of 10 and 2 in the gazebo in the park behind the biology labs." The fact that it's still possible to express the content in some way does not remove it from the ambit of s.2(b) and absolutely does not make it "not a free speech issue".

Many people's understanding of the Charter and what it protects, and freedom of speech as a principle, is really limited.
A movie crew isn't a student group protesting on campus, and Parks Canada didn't dictate where and when they can film their movie. They just said they can't film it in the park and have no other say in the matter.

I actually disagree with the decision, but Canada is a big place. Their freedom to film the movie is limited only to not that specific place. Kinda like everything else is limited to "you can't do whatever you want, wherever you want".

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 02:21 PM   #51
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Am I the only one who still dislikes the adoption to English of the French equivalent names of national offices and agencies such as Parks Canada, Revenue Canada etc.? Sounds dumb in English, particularly to visitors from outside the country. Although I guess Revenue Canada was recently changed to the Canada Revenue Agency.

Last edited by Manhattanboy; 03-09-2017 at 02:32 PM.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 02:30 PM   #52
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

I've never understood why we have Service Alberta here when the number of French speakers might as well be non-existent in terms of the population.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 02:32 PM   #53
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Swift View Post
I've never understood why we have Service Alberta here when the number of French speakers might as well be non-existent in terms of the population.
I know. Sounds stupid.
Old 03-09-2017, 02:38 PM   #54
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

A values test by adjudging a script for a film permit is going way too far. I'm presuming they have and continue to approve films which display murder, battles or war.

The race of the antagonist should have nothing to do with approval.

I wonder if this comes from that Dicaprio film the Revenant. I only have watched the scene of the natives attacking the prospectors or whatever they were, and it was a brutal scene.

Last edited by Kjesse; 03-09-2017 at 02:43 PM.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kjesse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2017, 02:43 PM   #55
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgar View Post
A values test by adjudging a script for a film permit is going way too far. I'm presuming they have and continue to approve films which display murder, battles or war.

The race of the antagonist should have nothing to do with approval.
Exactly.

Parks Canada shouldnt be policing content.

"Take good care of the Park and pay the Fee."

If anyone has a complaint with the content of the Film let their Advocates and Associations like Native Affairs or People for the Ethical Treatment of Bears or whomever take it up with the Movie Studio.

Why would Parks Canada want to get involved in that?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 02:45 PM   #56
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you look at the charter:
http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/agen/chart/chartr.aspx
an argument can be made that they are doing their job, by following the charter in this case. Promoting showing the aboriginal people in a negative way could go against it.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2017, 02:58 PM   #57
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm
Old 03-09-2017, 03:17 PM   #58
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Am I the only one who still dislikes the adoption to English of the French equivalent names of national offices and agencies such as Parks Canada, Revenue Canada etc.? Sounds dumb in English, particularly to visitors from outside the country. Although I guess Revenue Canada was recently changed to the Canada Revenue Agency.
Nope, you are not the only one.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 03:51 PM   #59
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I guess you forgot that free speech doesn't have anything to do with making whatever film you want in a Canadian Park. As with anything, you have to follow the rules set out by the controlling organization.

You honestly can't find any other examples where certain places/organizations have limits as to what you can and can't say? No code of conduct? Not at work? Not on a message board perhaps?
A narrow definition of freedom of speech is the one where only the government can't restrict expression. Parks Canada is the government.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 03:57 PM   #60
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
If you look at the charter:
http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/agen/chart/chartr.aspx
an argument can be made that they are doing their job, by following the charter in this case. Promoting showing the aboriginal people in a negative way could go against it.
So yeah, aboriginal characters can only be heroes, never villains. That's not paternalistic at all.

Somebody better tell Denzel Washington he was putting black Americans in a bad light with his roles in Training Day and American Gangster.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 03-09-2017 at 04:00 PM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote