Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2013, 02:03 PM   #61
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosterjuice View Post
There is some snobbery associated with these certain studios and instructors. That's why these follow along dvds are a no-brainer for a lot of people.
Of the few yoga studios I've been to, as to reasons why guys are hesitant to give it a chance, I've seen less to do with snobbery and more to do with guys just be uncomfortable with something they consider effeminate (for some reason I can't comprehend).

I think there is a role for DVD instruction of all types, but think about it this way - the weight lifters on this forum always preach good form and good instruction . . . it is no different in yoga and having someone to guide you along and correct your posture is important. I would say, go try a yoga class sometime. You might be surprised.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:05 PM   #62
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I'd imagine the hate for 'real' yoga has to do with their ridiculous meditation practice and finding inner calmness.
Dumbest post I've ever read on CP. Seriously.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:10 PM   #63
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
I'm thinking it was sarcasm, or at least I hope it was, because yeah pretty ignorant post.
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:05 AM   #64
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I never truly paid attention to yoga before. I always thought yoga was about sitting cross legged saying 'haooom' or something similar to channel yourself with the chinese dragons. So, I just ignored it.

Then over the past several years I heard more about it and I realized it was a good exercise, but I still didn't look into it enough as I felt "Well, how good of an exercise can it truly be if they're not trying to lift the heaviest weights or run the fastest on the treadmill, etc. etc."

In the end I just figured, it isn't for me, I need to exert myself and I didn't see how yoga could be used in that manner. Then I found DDPYoga. Geez, if this big former pro-wrestler is doing it, and looks better than when he was a wrestler, then there must be something to it. So I started looking into it. Geez, look at all these pro-wrestlers, mma fighters and football players that are doing DDPYoga. Clearly I've been missing something here. Here you have Arthur Boorman who was told he could never walk unnasisted, and now he is running and lost 140 lbs. and you have DDP you only does his own program, no other workouts, and Chris Jericho, who only does DDPYoga and no other workouts, and they look great! So I read every page of the website, and I tried to search the internet for negative reviews about DDPYoga, and found nothing. The part that got me was my wife telling me that some guy she works with was doing it. Okay, if he is doing it, and these pro-wrestlers I used to watch are doing it to great results, and you see all these transformations of people regaining their health after following the program, then I have got to try this.

Still don't know if I would try regular yoga though, because, aside from DDPYoga, I don't know anything about yoga. I still have that block in my mind that regular yoga isn't for me. I'm going in with the thought that DDPYoga is going to work for me, mostly because I am comitting myself to make it work. I see this as something that will work for me and it is something I really want to try. Otherwise, I'd probably be stuck lifting weights for a couple of weeks, giving up, trying something new like P90x or Spartacus, giving up because I'm not at the right health level to be as good as I should, do nothing, then start that cycle all over again because I did nothing for waaaay to long.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:39 AM   #65
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I'd imagine the hate for 'real' yoga has to do with their ridiculous meditation practice and finding inner calmness.
Don't forget the insecurity
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:43 AM   #66
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It really depends on the studio that you go to. For instance,I have done yoga through p90x so I thought I had a decent handle on it prior to trying out hot yoga for the first time. I tried hot yoga at "Breath" studio near 130 ave. The class was great, however, at the end of the class, the instructor announced that the class was finished and that everyone should just lie down and "become one with yourself". I didn't have time for this due to an upcoming appt and proceeded to pack up my mat. Then, I got chastised in front of the whole class by this instructor for packing up before she officially dismissed the class. Needless to say, I've never been back to that studio.

There is some snobbery associated with these certain studios and instructors. That's why these follow along dvds are a no-brainer for a lot of people.
That's called being considerate. You're not the only one in the class, and a lot of people genuinely use that time to finish their practice and go through mental/emotional exercises. The fact that you don't want to is up to you, but packing up in the middle of it disrupts others.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:07 AM   #67
boosterjuice
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
That's called being considerate. You're not the only one in the class, and a lot of people genuinely use that time to finish their practice and go through mental/emotional exercises. The fact that you don't want to is up to you, but packing up in the middle of it disrupts others.
Lol, rolling up a mat is a distruption? This is exactly why a lot people shy away from yoga. All of these unwritten yoga rules that people don't know.
boosterjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to boosterjuice For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2013, 11:08 AM   #68
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Lol, rolling up a mat is a distruption? This is exactly why a lot people shy away from yoga. All of these unwritten yoga rules that people don't know.
You seriously don't see how someone moving around making noise is a disruption to someone who is attempting to briefly meditate or clear their mind? Seems like a pretty simple concept to me. Either way, if you're going to attend a class basic consideration is that you stay until it's through and don't disrupt others. Would it be cool if someone came to open hockey and spent the last 10 minutes stretching at center ice?
Old 04-30-2013, 11:11 AM   #69
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Geez, I'd hate to have to take a pee in the middle of a session. Everyone would hate me.

Sounds like a great place to spend time in!
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2013, 11:11 AM   #70
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I like Joga - yoga for jocks. It was created by Jana Webb geared towards athletes. A number NHL and cfl players do it. Shes from Calgary i believe and will do classes when shes in town. I have the itunes versions of her dvd. www.jogawithjana.com
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:18 AM   #71
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Geez, I'd hate to have to take a pee in the middle of a session. Everyone would hate me.

Leaving part way through isn't as big of an issue (except at some Bikram places as it messes with the room temp), it's leaving during a portion of the class that is explicitly about silence and stillness that's the problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to valo403 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2013, 11:22 AM   #72
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post

Or pass gas.

Take that out of the body mind centering meditation.

Take of wiff of the Captain's Breakfast Burrito.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:25 AM   #73
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Would it be cool if someone came to open hockey and spent the last 10 minutes stretching at center ice?
Not even remotely similar. Leaving the game and going to the dressing room 10 minutes early because of a conflict does not usually cause you to get singled out by the other guys.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:27 AM   #74
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Flatulence challenges one's mental strength in the face of physical peril. Subjecting others to aromatic offensiveness will test even the most ardent yoga masters resolve.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:27 AM   #75
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Not even remotely similar. Leaving the game and going to the dressing room 10 minutes early because of a conflict does not usually cause you to get singled out by the other guys.
Umm those are completely different issues. I explicitly asked about someone stretching at center ice as it is an example of a behavior that disrupts the ability of other participants to do what they are there to do.

So, would it be cool for someone to stretch at center ice for the last 10 minutes and thereby disrupt everyone else?
Old 04-30-2013, 11:35 AM   #76
boosterjuice
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
You seriously don't see how someone moving around making noise is a disruption to someone who is attempting to briefly meditate or clear their mind? Seems like a pretty simple concept to me. Either way, if you're going to attend a class basic consideration is that you stay until it's through and don't disrupt others. Would it be cool if someone came to open hockey and spent the last 10 minutes stretching at center ice?

Well it's great that you're educating people on what basic consideration is pertaining to yoga as it seems very different to other classes.

So just so I'm clear, you're allowed to leave the class to piss so long as it's in the regular yoga portion, but not allowed to leave the class if any kind of meditation is going on??? It would be great if someone could post a list of these rules to help out the yoga newbies.
boosterjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:37 AM   #77
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know the couple of places I've been thinking of taking a look at all have rules for yoga etiquette on their webpage.

So rest assured, you should be able to avoid making an ass of yourself.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:51 AM   #78
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well it's great that you're educating people on what basic consideration is pertaining to yoga as it seems very different to other classes.

So just so I'm clear, you're allowed to leave the class to piss so long as it's in the regular yoga portion, but not allowed to leave the class if any kind of meditation is going on??? It would be great if someone could post a list of these rules to help out the yoga newbies.
Honestly if it's a beginner class they shouldn't be treating you like you should know better or should be pretty explicit about what they expect. It's pretty unfair of them to just expect you to know, and I think I was guilty of assuming you'd been made aware.

I'd say your best bet would be to just ask your instructor for their expectations at the start of class. I do some classes that are more active workout focused than meditative and I imagine they'd be fine with you slipping out any time as there's no 'silent' portion.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:53 AM   #79
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole436 View Post
What's ridiculous about it?
If it is something you go for, I suppose there is nothing ridiculous about it. But most people don't like it, and yoga gets a bad name because that is what they associate with it.

Yoga strictly as a physical exercise is amazing.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:55 AM   #80
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by J pold View Post
I'm thinking it was sarcasm, or at least I hope it was, because yeah pretty ignorant post.
Why is it a dumb post? Yoga as a physical exercise is an amazing addition to any exercise program. But most people have a hard time committing to to studio classes because of everything 'else' that is associated with it.

EDIT: I should mention I don't really care if you do yoga to relax your mind. I just know from experience that when you suggest yoga to someone who wants to work on better posture and flexibility they instantly put up a wall because when they go to the yoga studio, they are met with instructors that aren't so much concerned about teaching better flexibility, but instead try to convince them that they should meditate.

Last edited by Azure; 04-30-2013 at 12:06 PM.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bang! , ddpyoga , guys do yoga too , not your mama's yoga , yrg