Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-15-2012, 12:20 PM   #201
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrimm View Post
Hi Hesla,
Big thanks for doing this for the community, it's great that you are helping educate us on eyesite.. As a person with KC, it's one of those things you take for granted until you have issues.

What are your thoughts on LASIK versus ICLs? I know there are a few kinds of ICL out now and a friend of mine is paranoid of LASIK because I told him about the risks of corneal ectasia and dry eyes.

I know ICL's are a relatively newcomer to the field, however to me, the fact that you aren't burning off a layer of precious cornea seems to be a big plus? Have you seen it done, are the results as good as LASIK?
I personally think that implanted contact lenses will one day overtake Laser surgery as the go-to refractive procedure. However, I would wait a few years to get it as it is relatively new. The benefit is that it is reversible (you can take the implant out later). The downside to is an increased risk of the more serious complications due to actually exposing the inside of the eye to the outside world (vs. shaving off the front of the cornea).

Another potential benefit with ICL is that one day Multi-focal lenses could be implanted allowing someone to potentially not need reading glasses when they are older.

If you are someone with a high rx i always recommend ICL over laser.

As someone with Keratoconus you should absolutely NOT get LASIK.

Have you had an assesment for a Corneal Cross-linking procedure for your KC ?
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:44 PM   #202
ratech
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I just got new glasses yesterday with a new prescription that only changed slightly from the old one. Does it usually take time to adjust to this new prescription? These glasses are making me all weird. Thanks
ratech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:41 PM   #203
TheGrimm
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesla View Post
I personally think that implanted contact lenses will one day overtake Laser surgery as the go-to refractive procedure. However, I would wait a few years to get it as it is relatively new. The benefit is that it is reversible (you can take the implant out later). The downside to is an increased risk of the more serious complications due to actually exposing the inside of the eye to the outside world (vs. shaving off the front of the cornea).

Another potential benefit with ICL is that one day Multi-focal lenses could be implanted allowing someone to potentially not need reading glasses when they are older.

If you are someone with a high rx i always recommend ICL over laser.

As someone with Keratoconus you should absolutely NOT get LASIK.

Have you had an assesment for a Corneal Cross-linking procedure for your KC ?
Hey sorry, I probably wasn't as clear as I could have been, I am not contemplating either procedure at this point. It was for a friend of mine, he has moderate myopia, nothing crazy.. I just personally am nervous for people considering LASIK that they are not going getting screened properly to ensure they have adequate cornea thickness etc. Weakening the structure of the cornea to correct vision still seems ill-advised to me.

I actually did have the C3R treatment done about 4 years ago as well as the Intac in my OD. I am happy to report that in 4 years my corneas have both been quite stable. For me it's just a case of finding adequate vision correction. What is your usual suggestion as far as contacts go?
TheGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:21 PM   #204
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrimm View Post
Hey sorry, I probably wasn't as clear as I could have been, I am not contemplating either procedure at this point. It was for a friend of mine, he has moderate myopia, nothing crazy.. I just personally am nervous for people considering LASIK that they are not going getting screened properly to ensure they have adequate cornea thickness etc. Weakening the structure of the cornea to correct vision still seems ill-advised to me.

I actually did have the C3R treatment done about 4 years ago as well as the Intac in my OD. I am happy to report that in 4 years my corneas have both been quite stable. For me it's just a case of finding adequate vision correction. What is your usual suggestion as far as contacts go?
KBA or Synergeyes Truekone. One of the doctors in my office specializes in difficult fits, so I usually defer to her on Kerataconic fits.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:36 PM   #205
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratech View Post
I just got new glasses yesterday with a new prescription that only changed slightly from the old one. Does it usually take time to adjust to this new prescription? These glasses are making me all weird. Thanks
It can, especially when there are changes to astigmatism. If it still feel's "off" afte a week head back to optical you got it from.
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2012, 02:44 PM   #206
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't been at an optometrist in probably 15 years (don't wear glasses/contacts, had "30/20" vision when I was young, last checkup was "20/20")... I presume I should probably go for a checkup one of these days...
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:56 PM   #207
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon View Post
I haven't been at an optometrist in probably 15 years (don't wear glasses/contacts, had "30/20" vision when I was young, last checkup was "20/20")... I presume I should probably go for a checkup one of these days...
Yes. Baseline health checks are very important. They make it so there is something to compare things to if something goes wrong later.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:49 AM   #208
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

What are your thoughts on Transition lenses? Pros/cons?
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:53 AM   #209
Robotic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My brother told me the other day that he has a hole in his retina. His optometrist told him it's nothing to worry about. It sounds kinda scary. Is this something serious, and what should be done to help/correct this?
Robotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:29 PM   #210
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hi - I'm not sure if thise would be something an Optometrist would advise on, but I always consider you guys 'eye doctors' so meh: At what point would I get my twitchy lower right eyelid looked at? It's been twitching on & off for about 2 weeks and it's really irritating! Is it something I should be concerned about (eventually)?
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:33 PM   #211
rd_aaron
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
Hi - I'm not sure if thise would be something an Optometrist would advise on, but I always consider you guys 'eye doctors' so meh: At what point would I get my twitchy lower right eyelid looked at? It's been twitching on & off for about 2 weeks and it's really irritating! Is it something I should be concerned about (eventually)?
Are you getting enough sleep?
rd_aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:43 PM   #212
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd_aaron View Post
Get more sleep and drink less coffee. Whenever I've had an eye twitch, it's been from multiple consecutive days of 4-5 hours of sleep.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #213
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komskies View Post
Get more sleep and drink less coffee. Whenever I've had an eye twitch, it's been from multiple consecutive days of 4-5 hours of sleep.
I get them from stress.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:12 PM   #214
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd_aaron View Post
Plenty of sleep and zero caffine. I've also stopped drinking alcohol for the past week thinking that would help, and I'm not very stressed either...well, besides about the fact that my eye is twitching constantly.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:24 PM   #215
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
What are your thoughts on Transition lenses? Pros/cons?
Pros:

Not having two pairs of glasses
can adjust the amount of tint/color of tint
Much better now than in the past.

Cons:

Does not work in a vehicle (UV blocked up the windshield).
In really cold conditions it can stay dark longer.

It really comes down to when you need the tinted lenses. If you want them for driving then you are better off getting prescription sunglasses. If you want them for outdoorsy stuff then it is good.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:26 PM   #216
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotic View Post
My brother told me the other day that he has a hole in his retina. His optometrist told him it's nothing to worry about. It sounds kinda scary. Is this something serious, and what should be done to help/correct this?
There are different types of Retinal holes. Atrophic retinal holes are nothing to worry about as they most likely have been there for a long time and have healed themselves. A hole in the retina is an issue if it is symptomatic (has flashing lights/blurry vision associated with it.

They will laser around a hole like the later to prevent its spread, but that kills retinal tissue. Therefore, it is only done in select cases.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:29 PM   #217
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
There are many causes of a twitching eye, all of them not serious.

Stress, lack of sleep, an increase or decrease in Caffeine, an increase or decrease in Nicotine, and eye strain can create a twitch.

Your eyelid muscles are on a "hair-trigger" due to the fact they have to protect the eye in a hurry if necessary. They are prone to sudden changes in the body.

If the twitch becomes a spasm (visible to others/affecting the vision) then you should get it checked.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:51 PM   #218
Baxter Renegade
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This is an awesome thread! That's why I love CalgaryPuck: You got a resident Optometrist, Real Estate Agent, a wicked thread pertaining to interesting science news, a hilarious picture thread, various video game threads, an NHL 12 club (that's awesome) and some of the finest hockey discussion and breaking news I've ever seen!

This might not be a question for an optometrist, but what do you know about Chalazion Cysts? I got a couple severe ones last year on either eyelid, and recently had the signs and symptoms of a third one this last month (that i managed to subdue/kill with hot compresses, massages, and squeezing of the gunk through the eyelash holes)... Can you recommend anything that will avoid these nasty things from happening? Am I doomed to get them all the time like some sections of the internet suggest?
Baxter Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:06 PM   #219
Knut

Exp:

^ Some people are prone to them and need to be very vigilant in eyelid cleanliness.

The best thing you can do is pick up some of this

Use it every day to wash your eyelids, especially along the margins (the flat part that presses against the eye). They are no-tears so you can get it in the eye without stinging. You should do a hot-compress and then use the thera-lid on the eye afterwards.

You may also have a mild Meibomian Gland disorder (DONT GOOGLE) that requires eye-lid massage on a regular basis.

Sometimes you just have to do what you described if necessary as they may happen from time to time.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:22 PM   #220
Baxter Renegade
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesla View Post
^ Some people are prone to them and need to be very vigilant in eyelid cleanliness.

The best thing you can do is pick up some of this

Use it every day to wash your eyelids, especially along the margins (the flat part that presses against the eye). They are no-tears so you can get it in the eye without stinging. You should do a hot-compress and then use the thera-lid on the eye afterwards.

You may also have a mild Meibomian Gland disorder (DONT GOOGLE) that requires eye-lid massage on a regular basis.

Sometimes you just have to do what you described if necessary as they may happen from time to time.
Thanks for the advice, Hesla!

Do you have an office in the city? I would be more than happy to make you and your team my family's choice Optometry center. You're obviously knowledgeable and very passionate.
Baxter Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote