Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 04:33 PM   #201
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
Speaking of which, they called me today to let me know it arrived.

When I asked why Trek was blowing them out, he said the "Color wasn't popular." I said ,"It is the only one I like in the 5 series bikes, and what I would have picked anyway." So win/win there.

Heading down tomorrow morning to get fitted.
Well I have not ever been popular, so it makes sense my favourite colour is not popular. I'm a San Francisco Giants and Ricky Fowler fan, so a lot of my shoes, clothes, etc. are orange and/or black.

I'm getting my Cervelo fitted tomorrow. I've never had one, and I'm looking forward to what they do and how much it benefits me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
Old 01-18-2012, 04:44 PM   #202
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I hate how winter destroys my commuter so badly. I need to figure out something better for winter lube.

I dropped $200 on having the thing overhauled this fall, and already my front derailleur is seized (I have to unclip and kick it to shift to a smaller ring) and I can't pedal backwards as the chain tensioner is also partially siezed.

Fixing a chain that fell off on the way to work Monday wasn't fun.

I really don't mind winter riding until we get to this point and everything stops working. I don't even want to try fix it because it's too freaking cold. I have a weekend project I guess. Any lube suggestions for something that will penetrate all of the corrosion I'm taking on and keep things working??
Old 01-18-2012, 04:46 PM   #203
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
Well I have not ever been popular, so it makes sense my favourite colour is not popular. I'm a San Francisco Giants and Ricky Fowler fan, so a lot of my shoes, clothes, etc. are orange and/or black.

I'm getting my Cervelo fitted tomorrow. I've never had one, and I'm looking forward to what they do and how much it benefits me.
If I knew about that Cervelo deal, I would have tried to get a group buy with you. Beautiful Canadian bikes.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:11 PM   #204
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
I hate how winter destroys my commuter so badly. I need to figure out something better for winter lube.

I dropped $200 on having the thing overhauled this fall, and already my front derailleur is seized (I have to unclip and kick it to shift to a smaller ring) and I can't pedal backwards as the chain tensioner is also partially siezed.

I really don't mind winter riding until we get to this point and everything stops working. I don't even want to try fix it because it's too freaking cold. I have a weekend project I guess. Any lube suggestions for something that will penetrate all of the corrosion I'm taking on and keep things working??
Do you have a bike you could convert to a single speed? If you don't have too many hills they could be a good alternative in the winter.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:20 PM   #205
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khel View Post
Any recommendations on a good shop to purchase a road bike in Calgary? I want to start biking to work in the spring, and thinking about joining a team for the ride to conquer cancer, but all ive ever done is mountain bike or spin.

Looking to spend 1000-1500 for a good bike (spending account ftw!), any recommendations?

I'll have to throw my support behind Bow Cycle.
I've gotten some great service there, and they'll price match anyone in town. Plus they've got a pretty good inventory, you can usually find a deal.

I'll also throw a shout out to Calgary Cycle who gave me some great service and a good deal when I bought my mountain bike, tney don't do road bikes, but they're a good shop so I figured I'd give them some props.

Riddley's seems like a good shop, they know their stuff, they just didn't have a bike for me, but I would certainly go check them out if I was looking again.

As for The Bike Shop, well, I'm going to take my mom's advice and just not say anything at all.

Finally, I'll give you the same advice I was given when I went looking for my first road bike. Whatever your budget it, add 30-40%. Though you've got a pretty wide range in your budget, so just accept now that you'll likley be at or over the high side of that budget.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:42 PM   #206
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post

As for The Bike Shop, well, I'm going to take my mom's advice and just not say anything at all.
I will add Cyclepath to that list as well.

Most the Bike shops in Calgary are solid. But Cyclepath, and The Bike Shop, just don't have that hokey Bike shop vibe.

I will never forget the time, I was told not to be, and I quote "such a cheapwad", when I didn't want to pay for a valve stem cap at Cyclepath, when their guy lost it.

A. 10. Cent. Valve stem cap.

Never went back, and Ridleys has got about 7 grand out of me since.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:50 PM   #207
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I'm not a fan of Cyclepath either.
The only time I went there, the guy I was dealing with actually argued with me about whether or not the bike I had already tried out at 2 different shops existed.

After that I figured I'd go somewhere where they hired guys who actually knew their own products.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:51 PM   #208
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

After trying a few special oils, I really just found that sheer quantity and repeated application of a cheap and heavier weight lube to repel crud was the only thing that worked. Thinner stuff just gets overwhelmed. I even tried the wax based White Lightning but that was a disaster in the cold.

Basically, every 4-5 days I'd liberally douse the chain in either MEC Wet Lube or Phil's Tenacious Oil. Just keep looking at the chain, if it ain't a gooey black color, time to hit it with some oil.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:28 PM   #209
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had my bike fitting today for my new Cervelo R3. I had no idea what to expect, but the guy blew my mind. He did a bunch of little fixes and then would ask questions about if there was stress or pain or if there was anything I wanted made better. With some quick adjustments everything was perfect. It turns out my right leg is 5mm longer than my left leg. He started guessing sports injury questions and was bang on. If you've never had a fitting, I highly recommend it.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-20-2012, 08:57 AM   #210
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
After trying a few special oils, I really just found that sheer quantity and repeated application of a cheap and heavier weight lube to repel crud was the only thing that worked. Thinner stuff just gets overwhelmed. I even tried the wax based White Lightning but that was a disaster in the cold.

Basically, every 4-5 days I'd liberally douse the chain in either MEC Wet Lube or Phil's Tenacious Oil. Just keep looking at the chain, if it ain't a gooey black color, time to hit it with some oil.
I was liking the wax for the chain until this last week, when you're right, it becomes a bit of a disaster. My chain lost a lot of it's flexibility.

I doused the trouble spots on my front derailleur in some of the MEC wet lube I had lying around and worked it back and forth a bit, and voila, it shifts again. Stupid winter. Next week is going to feel great.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:02 AM   #211
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

#### Cyclists Say

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2012, 01:53 PM   #212
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

^ Amazing. Forwarded to all of my new-found triathlete friends.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:02 PM   #213
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
^ Amazing. Forwarded to all of my new-found triathlete friends.
It's one of two videos of the ##### People Say series I've found funny. I love the guy in the shop asking the questions.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #214
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
It's one of two videos of the ##### People Say series I've found funny. I love the guy in the shop asking the questions.
"Is this carbon?"

"Do you have this in carbon?"

"Is this the lightest bell you have?"
Old 02-29-2012, 10:25 PM   #215
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

I figure we are about 4 weeks from getting the expensive stuff out, and I have a bit of interesting info regarding insurance.

To insure a road bike through my home insurance, it costs $5/$100 of value with no deductible. I figure, after all is said and done with pedals, computer etc, I am looking at about a $4000 value on the new Trek 5.1 I bought. It covers crash and theft. For $200 a year for the first couple years, I see no reason why not. I figure odds are 20% you go down. Then after that, just insure it for a lower value as it depreciates. This is my first foray into the high end exotic carbon stuff. Anyone have opinions? Anyone insured theirs separately before?
Old 02-29-2012, 11:06 PM   #216
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The Following User Says Thank You to #22 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2012, 07:15 AM   #217
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
I figure we are about 4 weeks from getting the expensive stuff out, and I have a bit of interesting info regarding insurance.

To insure a road bike through my home insurance, it costs $5/$100 of value with no deductible. I figure, after all is said and done with pedals, computer etc, I am looking at about a $4000 value on the new Trek 5.1 I bought. It covers crash and theft. For $200 a year for the first couple years, I see no reason why not. I figure odds are 20% you go down. Then after that, just insure it for a lower value as it depreciates. This is my first foray into the high end exotic carbon stuff. Anyone have opinions? Anyone insured theirs separately before?
I used to be with ING for home insurance and they had a similar policy when it came to bikes. I switched to TD Meloche Monnex because they cover the bikes. No deductibles. Most of the club switched to them.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:41 AM   #218
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If there are any triathletes looking to insure their bikes, the Alberta Triathlon Association offers bike insurance.
It's $25/year for $5k, and $40/year for $10k.

Doesn't cover damage durring a race, but that might also be the case for home insurance.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:47 AM   #219
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
If there are any triathletes looking to insure their bikes, the Alberta Triathlon Association offers bike insurance.

Doesn't cover damage durring a race, but that might also be the case for home insurance.
Put your ruined bike back in the garage, call insurance company. Done.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:47 AM   #220
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'm assuming you have to be a member of the Association to get this insurance through them? Is there a limit on the number or type of bikes that can be insured this way? I have 4 mountain bikes, with the replacement value of each ranging from $900 to $7500. They're currently covered through my home insurance but the deductible is insane so I'm looking at options.

As an aside, I'm surprised at the number of roadies in here. I figured with Calgary being the next closest thing to a mountain town that the number of mountain bikers would be higher. Represent!
"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."
Closed Thread