Exp:

3 years 4 days ago. Totally forgot.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2017, 05:17 PM   #623
Angelamc
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I'm coming up on three years. I haven't had one bit of nicotine since I quit. I don't want to chance it as I still feel like one puff will have me smoking or vaping or main lining nicotine full time.
Angelamc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Angelamc For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2017, 11:44 AM   #624
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Well, I have to resurrect this thread. I keep waiting for the day when I decide I'm done smoking, but as with addiction that day never seems to come. I have 1 smoke left, and by writing this I am hoping it holds me to a bit of account. Sad but true, smoking has been a friend, a hobby, and a pass-time for me. Uncomfortable situation? Smoke! People I want to avoid? Smoke! Bored with not doing anything? 2 smokes!
I had good reason to quit in the past, and went cold turkey for a year. Things changed, and I haven't found a good reason to quit again. Anyone have real-life improvements to performance/activities after putting down the smokes? Obviously the health benefits are immense, but I can't seem to use that as any sort of motivator.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:51 AM   #625
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Anyone have real-life improvements to performance/activities after putting down the smokes? Obviously the health benefits are immense, but I can't seem to use that as any sort of motivator.
That's the pickle, aint it? Problem is, recovery is a long, slow process. You may not realize it's happening but it is. After the first couple of weeks of hacking up really dark phlegm, the only real indicators you would have are better lung capacity, better/more stable heart rate.

I always struggled at the 3 month mark where the novelty of quitting has worn off and just have to deal with difficult side of quitting which really is 100% mental. The biggest problem I had was sitting at my desk all day. Never getting a break to head outside and just chill out for a few mins, break up the routine. THAT is the hardest part for me.

But outside that, there are a few times where I've noticed a much easier time with doing physical labour. I had to cut down a tree near my cabin. MUCH easier and didn't have to stop to get my breath back. That made me pretty happy. Also this last trip through England. We did a TON of walking and pounded thousands of stairs. No problems at all where as I would have been sucking a ton of wind as a smoker.

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 08-21-2017 at 11:53 AM.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 02:18 PM   #626
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

The best motivator for me was the QuitPro app which I saw someone in this thread post. Something about just keeping track of how many I hadn't smoked made it kind of easy to kick a craving.

Up to 8 months, 1240 cigarettes and $900. Wow that's crazy. Hadn't checked it in a while.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 03:10 PM   #627
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

I forgot about this thread, I'm at 12 days after quitting cold turkey and it's a challenge obviously, but I'm feeling great about it.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2017, 07:14 PM   #628
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Coming up on 4 years. Man time flies.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:18 PM   #629
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
I forgot about this thread, I'm at 12 days after quitting cold turkey and it's a challenge obviously, but I'm feeling great about it.
Great job man, hang in there!
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2017, 09:29 PM   #630
ToewsFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quitting smoking is the best thing you can ever do for your body. It's like having someone to love.
ToewsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 06:49 PM   #631
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Time to bump this for different reasons,

I'm quitting drinking. It has gotten to the point where I can't casually have one or two. 6 beers on a regular night isn't out of the ordinary. Weekends are even worse and I believe a combination of my drinking and communication issues has cost me my relationship. The failure of it wasn't entirely my fault but I wasn't helping.

I had tried to quit before and it was the understanding that I wasn't quitting entirely and just going to cut back. Well I had quit drinking for a month that time and felt great but then fell back into the routine.

I'm not doing this to maybe salvage my former relationship, I know if I'm doing this, it's for me. However I feel rather lost as everyone does after a relationship ends, and not drinking leaves me with too much spare time.

I find myself swimming in my thoughts right now, but in time it will be better. Just wanted a quick vent from posting this.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2017, 11:51 AM   #632
Baxter Renegade
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
Time to bump this for different reasons,

I'm quitting drinking. It has gotten to the point where I can't casually have one or two. 6 beers on a regular night isn't out of the ordinary. Weekends are even worse and I believe a combination of my drinking and communication issues has cost me my relationship. The failure of it wasn't entirely my fault but I wasn't helping.

I had tried to quit before and it was the understanding that I wasn't quitting entirely and just going to cut back. Well I had quit drinking for a month that time and felt great but then fell back into the routine.

I'm not doing this to maybe salvage my former relationship, I know if I'm doing this, it's for me. However I feel rather lost as everyone does after a relationship ends, and not drinking leaves me with too much spare time.

I find myself swimming in my thoughts right now, but in time it will be better. Just wanted a quick vent from posting this.
Im in the exact same boat as you, friend.

I had a break up end of July, largely due to drinking and Class A drug use. I dummied up... Today I am one month drug free, tomorrow I am one month booze free.

It feels incredible, satisfying and relieving. My bank account is also very thankful.

Remember to always do it for you, the remaining pieces will fall into place. Keep a support network. Youll want to drink... And when you do, call someone: Mom, Dad, Sister, a buddy... Just make the calls and dont drink. Its worth it.

Oh, Im quitting smoking tomorrow. Ill update as my journey progresses. Good luck to all in their battles to kick gnarly habits!

-Brett Hull
Baxter Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Baxter Renegade For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2017, 01:24 PM   #633
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Good luck boys. I’m 5.5 years sober right now, it’s attainable. This coming from someone who drank around a 12er a day for a decade plus. I can’t speak as to what helps anyone else but changing your habits immediately will help make it easier. Take a different drive to work, find another use of your time after work, hell you may have to skip some hockey for a bit. Definitely use a support system if you have it, whether that be friends and family or using AA. There is no shame in what you’re doing and reach out to whoever you can if you think you need a quick assist.

Last edited by ResAlien; 10-02-2017 at 01:28 PM.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2017, 04:47 PM   #634
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter Renegade View Post
Im in the exact same boat as you, friend.

I had a break up end of July, largely due to drinking and Class A drug use. I dummied up... Today I am one month drug free, tomorrow I am one month booze free.

It feels incredible, satisfying and relieving. My bank account is also very thankful.

Remember to always do it for you, the remaining pieces will fall into place. Keep a support network. Youll want to drink... And when you do, call someone: Mom, Dad, Sister, a buddy... Just make the calls and dont drink. Its worth it.

Oh, Im quitting smoking tomorrow. Ill update as my journey progresses. Good luck to all in their battles to kick gnarly habits!
Quitting all of that in a months time is very impressive, rooting for you.

I know the type of drinker I am, and it's not fiending so much as it is a snowball effect where one drink can turn into 12. If I make the choice to not drink it's doable. I do have a good support group around me that I can call if need be too so im well set up in that regard.

Now I just need better ways to occupy my time, I think I'll start by reading some books on communication as that was the other big downfall of the last relationship. I'll be ready for this next one!

Congrats by the way Res, how does it feel so many years later?
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2017, 08:55 AM   #635
Baxter Renegade
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Today's the day I quit smoking for good!

With help of Nicorette Gum and strength/will, Imma do this!

-Brett Hull
Baxter Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Baxter Renegade For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2017, 09:12 AM   #636
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

You can do it. All of you. I haven't had a cigarette in well over a decade. For me, the key was to wait out the cravings. When they occur, don't give in and light up. A craving is just that and it will go away in a few minutes. Wait it out. I know it sounds simple but you'll be surprised how well this works. At least for me it did.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:12 AM   #637
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was crazy how much easier it became after about 3 weeks. I still break down on a bender every once in a while. But the day to day cravings pretty much were gone by week 3 and never restart even after a boozy night where I give in. Keep it up guys.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 11:02 AM   #638
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good luck to you all. I hope others who may be struggling can take inspiration from your self awareness, courage and drive to face a demon like alcoholism. Most people aren't able to look in the mirror long enough to admit they have a problem, and even fewer will actually do something to address the problem.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 02:11 PM   #639
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter Renegade View Post
Today's the day I quit smoking for good!

With help of Nicorette Gum and strength/will, Imma do this!
Just be careful with the gum, I used Thrive Lozenges and I got addicted to them long term instead. Still much better than smoking but giving up the supplement can be a bugger too.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2017, 02:52 PM   #640
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
. Still much better than smoking but giving up the supplement can be a bugger too.
Truth. Breaking the addiction all together gives you the best shot IMO. Champix worked well for me. It's not for everyone, first to admit that, but I was one of the lucky ones that had zero side affects at all. It's makes breaking the addiction easy. After that, it's only habit you have to fight and that's really up to you. Nothing out there will make that part any easier other than time. But Champix will make it very manageable for you to stay smoke free for the first 3 months. After those 3 months are over, you are already forming new habits of not smoking.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote