Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2017, 08:08 AM   #21
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ask Jeeves is moving to Calgary!
The Following User Says Thank You to Iceman90 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2017, 08:43 AM   #22
flamingchina
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Please let it be http://www.zombo.com/
flamingchina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:51 AM   #23
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I listened to an interesting TED talk (can't remember the speaker) but he purported that MAYORS can actually be the key in bringing about social, economic and environmental change.

Without going into too much detail, he said that mayors for the most part are apolitical, and are strictly worried about making their own city great. And many people associate their indemnity with their city.

This Nenshi example shows proves that TED speakers point. Without some big fancy federal to-do, he went out an lured business into Canada.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:08 AM   #24
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Mayors don't have party lines and council is a collaborative environment as opposed to an adversarial environment.

It's really how all politics should function. Party lines ruin politics. They are the reason all parties have the dumb black and white stances they do.

Last edited by polak; 04-06-2017 at 09:18 AM.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:13 AM   #25
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

This is the kind of thing that all three levels of government should be doing heavy ground laying work on right now (wait until after NAFTA is resolved to really kick it into gear).

It's a unique opportunity. An orange buffoon in the White House who simultaneously is spouting protectionist rhetoric, intent on blocking potential skilled labour, and focused on the economy of yesteryear. Setting up shop in Canada with it's increasing global market access and labour mobility has got to be looking more appealing to new economy firms.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2017, 09:18 AM   #26
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I listened to an interesting TED talk (can't remember the speaker) but he purported that MAYORS can actually be the key in bringing about social, economic and environmental change.

Without going into too much detail, he said that mayors for the most part are apolitical, and are strictly worried about making their own city great. And many people associate their indemnity with their city.

This Nenshi example shows proves that TED speakers point. Without some big fancy federal to-do, he went out an lured business into Canada.
I am as happy as others that this is coming, but the first line of the article says that this company is "setting up an office in Calgary". Is that the same as picking up and moving here? Don't get me wrong, it's great that we have these trade missions and press the flesh to do these deals, but at the same time it's a branch office of something larger as I read it.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote