Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2017, 11:34 AM   #3561
me_dennis
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Has the Zika virus outbreak really fallen off? My wife and I were hoping to do an all inclusive, but with the Zika virus affecting most of mexico/central america, it really limits our options.
me_dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:40 AM   #3562
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_dennis View Post
Has the Zika virus outbreak really fallen off? My wife and I were hoping to do an all inclusive, but with the Zika virus affecting most of mexico/central america, it really limits our options.
I just went through this with my wife. If she is pregnant or planning on getting pregnant in the next two years, I would not recommend going anywhere south of California.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:09 PM   #3563
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, Zika's still a thing. My girlfriend and I have been invited to a wedding in Mexico in May 2018 and are debating it.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:28 PM   #3564
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Cabo is a pretty safe bet to go if you want to avoid Zika. I've never once seen a mosquito there (Desert climate and separated from mainland Mexico). I don't think they have any reported cases of it either, but I could be wrong.

Unless you stay within Canada for all your vacations, you are going to encounter Zika or another similar type of issue. Seems like a Pretty overblown concern in most cases. Zika didn't just show up out of nowhere last year, it's been around, just blown up to mass hysteria by the media. I would only worry about it if A)My wife was pregnant or B) Was planning to be pregnant within 6 months of return.

I had a buddy cancel on my friend's wedding in Mexico because he was worried about Zika.......He lives in Miami Florida which is ripe with it.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:44 PM   #3565
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
Yeah, Zika's still a thing. My girlfriend and I have been invited to a wedding in Mexico in May 2018 and are debating it.
What's the concern? Unless your are planning on having a baby, Zika is not really an issue, and even then you just hold off on having a baby for 4-6 months when you return. I guess you are almost a year and a half out from your trip so I can kind of see it as you don't know what the future holds and you'd be out that money. Can't you just do a deposit for the wedding though?.

My wife started talking about Zika about a month before we left for Mexico and saying " Should we go?" and it damn near drove me nuts. I told her to stop talking to me about it and see her doctor if she was so worried. Got the same response I was telling her, that if she was planning on having a baby in the near future to cancel he trip, and if she wasn't, he didn't see an issue with it. My month long aggravation was caused by her goddamn sister in Ottawa who is a housewife with too much time on her hands to worry about stuff.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:51 PM   #3566
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

From what I have read about Zika men may have more to worry about than women. For females, unless they are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant in the near future Zika is really not a concern. Even if you are infected once it has ran its course then it is basically back to normal. For males it is much more uncertain as there is still no consensus on the long term effects, mainly being how long the virus remains in your system and thus can be passed along to your partner. That is what the longer term uncertainty is, at least from what I remember reading.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:54 PM   #3567
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
From what I have read about Zika men may have more to worry about than women. For females, unless they are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant in the near future Zika is really not a concern. Even if you are infected once it has ran its course then it is basically back to normal. For males it is much more uncertain as there is still no consensus on the long term effects, mainly being how long the virus remains in your system and thus can be passed along to your partner. That is what the longer term uncertainty is, at least from what I remember reading.
On the rare chance you do get it, you definitely can transmit it to your partner. That said, they say it clears your system within 8 weeks, but to sure hold off for 6 months on having a baby.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:03 PM   #3568
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

WestJet and Air Canada both have promo codes out today for 21% off base fares (all flights within Canada) for March, April, May, June travel

http://yycdeals.com/westjet-and-air-...-within-canada

Promo codes are only a good deal when the price is already historically low.

From Calgary, try looking at...

Toronto, Ontario - $358 CAD roundtrip including taxes
Montreal, Quebec - $378 CAD
St. John's, Newfoundland - $487
Halifax, Nova Scotia - $443

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
cmyden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 03:17 PM   #3569
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for yesterday's Palm Springs heads-up.

Just booked a trip in April!
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2017, 01:37 PM   #3570
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Calgary to Quebec City - $340 CAD roundtrip including taxes | April, May, June with WestJet

It's unusual to see great prices from Calgary to Quebec City.

http://yycdeals.com/calgary-to-quebe...ncluding-taxes

There's also non-stop flights from Calgary to Halifax, Nova Scotia in April, May, June for $488 CAD roundtrip.

http://yycdeals.com/calgary-to-halif...ncluding-taxes

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
Old 03-07-2017, 04:53 PM   #3571
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Looks like Quebec City has sold out.

Calgary to Nashville, Tennessee - $280 CAD roundtrip including taxes

United Airlines has dropped the price of their April and early May flights from Calgary to Nashville, Tennessee down to $280 CAD roundtrip including taxes.

WestJet starts their new non-stop flights from Calgary to Nashville in May, and they are currently priced at $386 CAD roundtrip.

But if you want or need a flight to Nashville before May, this is definitely an unusually low price.

http://yycdeals.com/calgary-to-nashv...ncluding-taxes

Old 03-21-2017, 10:45 AM   #3572
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Calgary to Montreal - $366 CAD roundtrip including taxes | non-stop flights

Calgary to New York City - $324 CAD roundtrip including taxes | 1-stop flights

WestJet has a promo code out today for 25% off base fares to various places that they fly, which is making these prices possible. The code is valid for today only.

Here is the link to the promo code page: https://goo.gl/Cebk86

Some info...

Calgary to Montreal: http://yycdeals.com/calgary-to-montr...n-stop-flights

Calgary to New York City: http://yycdeals.com/calgary-to-new-y...april-may-june

--

The Following User Says Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2017, 02:36 PM   #3573
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ended up booking the Calgary to Montreal for May long weekend (20th to 24th) for 366 including taxes.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:24 PM   #3574
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Hello all. But especially Chris.

Flying with my family to Naples Florida from Calgary in November.

Any suggestions on flights? Best time to book? I've been told United sometimes has smoking deals on flights with a single stop in Houston with about a 2 hour layover which sounds ideal.

It is my understanding we would fly into Ft Myers, which is about 45 mins from Naples.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:08 PM   #3575
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Hello all. But especially Chris.

Flying with my family to Naples Florida from Calgary in November.

Any suggestions on flights? Best time to book? I've been told United sometimes has smoking deals on flights with a single stop in Houston with about a 2 hour layover which sounds ideal.

It is my understanding we would fly into Ft Myers, which is about 45 mins from Naples.
United does indeed sometimes drop the price of YYC to Ft Myers (RSW) down to pretty good prices. Anything in the high $300s CAD roundtrip is typically as low as it goes.

For example, there are currently flights in June for $388 CAD roundtrip...

https://www.google.ca/flights/#searc...-15;s=1;md=660

It's always tough to say when United might drop their prices. Most often, they drop them to Florida a few months before departure. For example, in April, they started offering the cheaper May/June prices. So somewhere around September would be a prime suspect for October/November drops.

But, sometimes, United will just drop their prices across the board, on dates far into the future.

Overall, it's been pretty common for generous price drops to occur from Canadian cities to cities in Florida over the past year or so.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:09 PM   #3576
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Calgary to Madrid, Spain - $667 to $680 CAD roundtrip including taxes

British Airways is showing some cheaper flights to Madrid in the fall. Around 40% below the typical best roundtrip prices.

The flights have 1 stop each way. The stopover city is London Heathrow on the way there, and Dallas on the way home (or vice versa).

http://yycdeals.com/calgary-to-madri...ncluding-taxes

Old 05-03-2017, 10:22 AM   #3577
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hello cmyden,

Looks like Alitalia has gone bankrupt again, how risky is it to use your credit card with a bankrupt airline? Can you get the money credited back based on non-delivery?

The route and time i am looking at is Alitalia only so I am considering a purchase. Apparently the Italian government has provide a bridge loan for the next 6 months so it should continue to operate.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:43 AM   #3578
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
Hello cmyden,

Looks like Alitalia has gone bankrupt again, how risky is it to use your credit card with a bankrupt airline? Can you get the money credited back based on non-delivery?

The route and time i am looking at is Alitalia only so I am considering a purchase. Apparently the Italian government has provide a bridge loan for the next 6 months so it should continue to operate.
A good blog post about this:

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...t-of-business/

Old 05-03-2017, 11:56 AM   #3579
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyden View Post

Calgary to Madrid, Spain - $667 to $680 CAD roundtrip including taxes

British Airways is showing some cheaper flights to Madrid in the fall. Around 40% below the typical best roundtrip prices.

The flights have 1 stop each way. The stopover city is London Heathrow on the way there, and Dallas on the way home (or vice versa).

http://yycdeals.com/calgary-to-madri...ncluding-taxes
Dang, has it been almost 8 years since cmyden sent dozens of Calgarians to Menorca, Spain for next to nothing? Because of a flight change we ended up spending a night in Madrid; man how time flies...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
FFR
Old 05-03-2017, 08:21 PM   #3580
FFR
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Dang, has it been almost 8 years since cmyden sent dozens of Calgarians to Menorca, Spain for next to nothing? Because of a flight change we ended up spending a night in Madrid; man how time flies...
Those were good times! Surprise visit to Madrid that we weren't expecting. Best deal ever.
FFR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FFR For This Useful Post: