Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2017, 02:40 PM   #301
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLAST View Post
You know what and this is just my perspective..... that scrum with the media after the game last night kind of pisses me off.

The fan 960 aired it.....You'd think Matthew was being blamed for the loss last night the way the questions were being directed in the condescending way they were asked.

Are our media guys really this daft????

This is the way he plays and at least he didn't need anyone to come to his and and fight his friggin battles.

Anyway, rubbed me the wrong way. I'm a bigger fan of Tkachuk today then I was yesterday.....In fact he made the Kings look like clowns the way they were running around trying for redemption for Poor Drew.

Good God you guys and then the audio of Iginla and Kopitar .....Wow....You'd think they were talking about Matt Cooke or Sean Avery.

I'm so glad this kids not a wimp, is a Flame and Future captain material.
What a breathe of fresh air....We could be playing against him.
Links! I demand links!
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2017, 03:11 PM   #302
Franchise Player

Exp:

A lot of Flames haters and Kings fans saying Tkachuk shouldn't get to pick who he fights. I thought McNabb was a fair opponent; he's bigger and has 6 fights on his resume this year and has fought much better fighters than Tkachuk. Why should he fight Clifford or Andreoff? They are way out of Tkachuk's league.

It's also not like Tkachuk went after an unsuspecting Doughty. Doughty himself admitted to initiating the rivalry with Tkachuk. The elbow came from battling all season long.

According to the haters, Doughty can:

a) initiate the rivalry;
b) cry about it when it gets too heated;
c) not fight his own battles;
d) have Tkachuk fight LA's goons.

I would have preferred if Tkachuk didn't fan the flames prior to the game, but I can see why he is so pissed at the whole situation. Doughty starts it all, and then when Tkachuk fights back, Doughty whines about it, and everyone blames Tkachuk for it.

To top it all off, I don't think the elbow really hit Doughty that hard. Tkachuk has been doing the reverse hit all season long, and he's done it to Doughty before too. Doughty knew it was coming and embellished it. At first, when I saw the elbow and the big head snap, I thought Doughty would get a concusssion, but the fact that he barely even missed a shift and was fine, makes me wonder how big the impact was.

There are only two people who know how much the elbow actually connected, and judging by how pissed of Tkachuk is about the whole situation, and by how Doughty sort of marginalized it in the post game, i'm guessing he only grazed Doughty with it.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:34 PM   #303
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Doughty proves he is a little b####, coward and punk. Tkachuk made him his b#### all night.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 03:34 PM   #304
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
According to the haters, Doughty can:
Not just according to haters - according to the Code.

The NHL has a culture where what you can do and who you can do it to depends entirely on your status in the league. Rookies are at the bottom of that hierarchy. Elite veterans at the top. If effects coaching decisions, how refs call penalties, and vigilante justice on the ice.

It's a dumb and unfair system. But it's a league-wide thing, not just some conspiracy against the Flames.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 03:42 PM   #305
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Not just according to haters - according to the Code.

The NHL has a culture where what you can do and who you can do it to depends entirely on your status in the league. Rookies are at the bottom of that hierarchy. Elite veterans at the top. If effects coaching decisions, how refs call penalties, and vigilante justice on the ice.

It's a dumb and unfair system. But it's a league-wide thing, not just some conspiracy against the Flames.
I know and agree with you, BUT, I think this situation is different in that it was Doughty who started it. What is Tkachuk suppose to do, just take it?

If Tkachuk just randomly elbowed Doughty in the face with no provocation from Doughty, then yes, the code should hold, but that's not the case here. Doughty instigated and then now is hiding behind the code.

At least that's why I think Tkachuk is so pissed off about it. Tkachuk has also been lauded for being around the game. As one commentator noted, Matthew has been in the NHL longer than Doughty has, so he knows what the code is and if he isn't sure, he can easily pick up his phone and ask old pa.

I'm guessing he asked Walt, and Walt told him the code didn't apply in this situation. If someone starts something with you, you are well within your right to finish it.

It's odd for a young kid like Tkachuk to be so pissed off about this and you can tell he is really really pissed off by how he was chirping at Doughty after the fight and still going after him all game long. He feels that there is some injustice directed his way and he may be right.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:42 PM   #306
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
A lot of Flames haters and Kings fans saying Tkachuk shouldn't get to pick who he fights. I thought McNabb was a fair opponent; he's bigger and has 6 fights on his resume this year and has fought much better fighters than Tkachuk. Why should he fight Clifford or Andreoff? They are way out of Tkachuk's league.
The dumbest part of them saying that is Tkachuk didn't choose McNabb, McNabb moved up to the wing for the faceoff and I am sure it wasn't to ask for Tkachuck about his favorite brand of mouth guard.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 04:01 PM   #307
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
You are suggesting Chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) is 'good old fashioned BS'? That there is no link between repeated head trauma and long term brain health?
Accepting those risks for glory, or to make a pile of money, is not connected.
I won't derail further.
The repeated head trauma in hockey generally comes from hits, not from fights. But all the attention is diverted from the real issue because certain people have a pre-existing agenda and want to get rid of fighting, and hey, any stick will do to beat a dog.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:08 PM   #308
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know Tim and Sid seem to be a tad polarizing in these parts, but interesting commentary nonetheless:

jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jar_e For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2017, 08:07 PM   #309
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:
Default Lesson learned by outspoken Flames rookie Tkachuk in loss to Kings

Don't poke the bear!

Quote:
“He’s been talked to,” coach Glen Gulutzan told Postmedia Thursday. “I didn’t personally talk to him but I know what message has been delivered. It was a great learning lesson for him.”
Quote:
“The best thing about the whole thing is that it wasn’t the playoffs, because in a seven-game series you never want to give anything like that,” Conroy said of Tkachuk’s response to being called dirty by Doughty, by saying: “I expected more from (Doughty), honestly, than to go right to the media and start complaining after a loss.”

“When I heard it, it caught me off guard because we always talk about bulletin board stuff – you never want to give anybody anything. And (Kings coach) Darryl (Sutter) loves that stuff. He doesn’t miss much. It probably gave them a little life last night.

“He probably didn’t know (the consequences) and wanted to see how it played out, but now he realizes it probably wasn’t the best thing. He did it and now he sees the repercussions and I don’t think it will ever happen again.”
Quote:
“He’s a young guy who plays with a lot of passion and emotion and he stands up for himself,” said captain Mark Giordano, whose Flames will get a second chance to clinch a playoff spot Friday against San Jose.

“You’ve got to respect him but there are certain things you don’t want to give a team – anything to get them going or any motivation you don’t need to. I thought he did a good job (Wednesday). He knew he’d have to answer the bell and he did.”

It’s what he did beforehand he’ll surely think twice about repeating next time.
http://calgaryherald.com/sports/hock...-loss-to-kings
Old 03-30-2017, 09:01 PM   #310
Flamescuprun2018
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Not sure if discussed elsewhere on CP today. Source: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/h...ve-l-response/

Really enjoyed Kypreos comments on SN. Kypreos understands the "code" and played in an era where this old school stuff happened alot more.

On the ice:

"Matthew Tkachuk can play on my team (pause) anytime." "Love him"
"It was nice to see animosity in a game"
"It was a mans game, he started something and he finished it"

Off the ice:

"The stuff off the ice...did not like his comments"
"Did not appreciate him talking down, especially calling out Doughty as a good player when he is a great player."

Kypreos did also say surprised Kings did not come after Gaudreau hard after Tkachuk open ice attempted hit on Doughty.
Flamescuprun2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flamescuprun2018 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2017, 09:26 PM   #311
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Well maybe Tkachuk can take a little attention away from Johnny getting abused.

Drawing attention to himself wisely, without the bulletin board stuff is the lesson learned for sure but you have to admire him for his balls to the wall style.

This whole team plays better when Chucker is playing his style and I hope we turns the volume down from 11 to 10....still loud just no distortion.

Well clinch tomorrow .
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EVERLAST For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2017, 03:52 AM   #312
saXon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLAST View Post
Well maybe Tkachuk can take a little attention away from Johnny getting abused.

Drawing attention to himself wisely, without the bulletin board stuff is the lesson learned for sure but you have to admire him for his balls to the wall style.

This whole team plays better when Chucker is playing his style and I hope we turns the volume down from 11 to 10....still loud just no distortion.

Well clinch tomorrow .
Don't make "chucker" a thing. About as cringe worthy as Benzo

saXon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to saXon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2017, 09:55 AM   #313
Rollin22x
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I find it hilarious that the Kings used a 19 year old rookie's antics to motivate themselves to get up for this game. Pathetic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rollin22x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:57 AM   #314
Sutter_in_law
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin22x View Post
I find it hilarious that the Kings used a 19 year old rookie's antics to motivate themselves to get up for this game. Pathetic.

why is that pathetic? It worked. Any good coach would/should use anything they can to win, especially a team that needs to win outright to make the playoffs.
Sutter_in_law is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sutter_in_law For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2017, 10:47 AM   #315
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutter_in_law View Post
why is that pathetic? It worked. Any good coach would/should use anything they can to win, especially a team that needs to win outright to make the playoffs.
I think the point is if the Kings players weren't already approaching the game with 100 per cent intensity, then they're a bunch of losers.

That's why I've never really understood the whole 'bulletin board' issue. Okay, if it's a Wednesday night in January against a cross-conference team, the team might not be fully engaged. But if it's the playoffs, or a team is fighting to make the playoffs, I assume the players are all-in already. Sports cliche's aside, there's no such thing as giving 110 per cent. So to say a team played harder because of bulletin-board material suggests they wouldn't have played at 100 per cent otherwise. Which I have a hard time believing of competitive athletes in a big game.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 11:05 AM   #316
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I seem to be in the minority here but I think the Flames actually played the situation really well. They engaged, got them to draw a slew of dumb penalties. This is valuable for playoffs.

Their power play failed them and it's why they lost.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sketchyt For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2017, 11:12 AM   #317
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post
I seem to be in the minority here but I think the Flames actually played the situation really well. They engaged, got them to draw a slew of dumb penalties. This is valuable for playoffs.

It moved the flow of the game more into LA's wheelhouse than ours.

We're an up-tempo, possession-based team. LA is a lumbering, wear-you-down team. LA wants a whistle every 30 seconds. We want two whistles per period.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2017, 11:29 AM   #318
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Agreed. If Flames could've taken advantage of their several PP opportunities, they've could've left that game with a W, along with showing that they're a team that won't back down, and still get the job done.

I get why the say it's best for Tkachuk not to poke the bear, but these are the best players in the world; where several of them have won the stanley cup multiple times in the past few years. You figure these guys would know how to be motivated enough to go out and win when their season is on the line. Bulletin board material should've amp them up that much more than they should be already.

It seems also that in hockey, that stuff matters more than compared to other sports. In football, baseball, and basketball, players can be more candid about their opinion of the opposition, and while it does draw interest (media storylines), it's effect on motivating the other team/player doesn't have as much weight as it seems to carry with hockey players. I don't know if it's the difference in cultural swagger between the sports, and off venue trash talking is more tolerated.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 05:13 PM   #319
Rollin22x
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutter_in_law View Post

The trap works and it's pathetic.
They haven't and the coach hasn't used, found, or stumbled on anything for several games. OMG boys... a rookie called us out. Now is the time to play! Tkatchuk should have skated to their bench with a bunch of copies of hurt feelings reports.
The previous night they made the oilers look like the Blackhawks and that game was just as important as the next.

Rollin22x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 05:46 PM   #320
JJolg
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

I agree, also felt the 4th line allowing the first goal and taking 3 minors and all of them holding/obstruction, not of the physical variety hurt us big time.
JJolg is offline   Reply With Quote