Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 03-11-2017, 09:10 AM   #161
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would love to see him get in for a game but I assume he won't but either way it will be good for him to spend some time around the team at such an important time in the season.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:16 AM   #162
Burner
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

he was at the MTS Center at 0800 this morning....
Burner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2017, 09:23 AM   #163
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Maybe Francis is himself a believer of the Wideman effect and is just making up crap to convince those listening that dressing him is not in the team's best interest.

Yes Eric, we all would prefer the team part ways with the guy, but he's still an experienced defenceman and those guys have some value over pro rookies.

Johnny came out and defended Wideman yesterday, so I dunno. If these rumours about him b####ing and not being a team player were true, surely the team wouldn't rush to his side so quickly.
I'm certainly not going to get into character assassination, but lets just say I don't find the Francis comments all that surprising. To me it just fits rumblings to the same effect I've heard for years.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2017, 10:36 AM   #164
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

News Update

Pat Steinberg @Fan960Steinberg
For those wondering why Rasmus Andersson is still with the team, he’s on regular recall now. Was originally on an emergency recall. #Flames

Flames now have 3 non-emergency recalls left
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2017, 10:38 AM   #165
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Hope we see him over -3 Wideman tonight.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:41 AM   #166
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
By some nights, do you mean maybe one or two games and then the other 50 he was one of the worst?

I respect your posts on this site but you're way too nice and positive when talking about the Flames. I know some say I'm negative but come on Wideman a beast defensively when we made the playoffs? He was terrible defensively. I remember the talk being "well at least he's out scoring his mistakes" because he was making so many.

Wideman even after that good year offensively was a black hole defensively. That's some revisionist history calling him a beast defensively.

Wideman had never been even above average defensively let alone a beast.
Yes, he was a defensive beast.

You must have short term memory to forget how Wideman for a time (while on the Flames) led all NHL defencemen in TOI. He was fantastic at both ends of the ice, and did so in two long stints while on the Flames, especially when Giordano went down.

You may not like Wideman now. However, it is either your short-term memory or your own revisionist history that has completely erased what Wideman at least used to be.

Just because a player 'sucks now', doesn't mean that player always sucked. Wideman was indeed counted on to play some heavy minutes against top competition on the Flames, and he did it well.

Edit: While I may be 'positive' mostly, this is just who I am as a fan. Life can be plenty negative, and sports is one of my outlet to focus on something positive - win or lose. Why focus on what is wrong all the time when you can enjoy what is right? With that being said, I have been plenty negative over the years here. I mostly don't discuss the bad stuff, as it seems to be well covered usually, so no need for me to delve into it. I do bring up plenty of negative things though - I remember especially my 'attack' on Baertschi for just coasting around not doing much time and time again as I started noticing the kid simply wasn't skating or competing hard. I also have made a number of posts on my observations on Shinkaruk - I didn't like him at the draft, didn't like it when the Flames traded for him, and still don't like him now, and I will be shocked if he turns into an NHL'er. I couldn't stand Brent Sutter and made a tonne of posts (still do at times) about him as a coach, and how Stajan was so mentally weak and didn't bother to prepare or compete hard that he allowed Horak to walk on and take his job. I have been plenty negative on this site, actually

I just don't often post about negative stuff too much since I just find it draining to fixate on stuff like that. I just find when it comes to following a team and cheering for them, it doesn't make much sense for me to just focus on what's wrong, instead of what's right. It isn't because I think I am a better fan, or something stupid like that, but rather just how I look at the whole reason for cheering on a team in the first place, and I also remember that these sports figures are really human beings as well, and really don't want to suck. Now if they don't try, or pout and ask for a trade (screw you Drury) that is a different thing altogether.

As for Andersson - interesting he was converted. I am guessing he might be here to stay at least until Stone is back. I figure he will get a few games in at least, and the Flames might keep him up the rest of the year if he performs well. Hope he does.

Last edited by Calgary4LIfe; 03-17-2017 at 10:53 AM.
Calgary4LIfe is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2017, 11:06 AM   #167
Nabber
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Surprised with the Andersson recall, especially hearing Stone is back tonight. I guess they like his development with the Flames for a big part of the final games. Would like to see him get a few games in before the end of the season, which I'm assuming will happen.

Also that 4 recall rule just seems stupid to me. Seriously, only 4 recalls after the trade deadline. So at the most can call up 4 different players and even less if you have to send 1 down then back up again. Just is ridiculously a low number, not sure how that was decided.
Nabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:10 AM   #168
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post

News Update

Pat Steinberg @Fan960Steinberg
For those wondering why Rasmus Andersson is still with the team, he’s on regular recall now. Was originally on an emergency recall. #Flames

Flames now have 3 non-emergency recalls left
Puzzling

Was the recall converted to regular in Winnipeg but wasn't announced? They could have been considering Andersson ahead of Wideman but then in the end stayed with the vet?

That's my guess.

Then given it's been done, they don't have to send him back today so may as well keep him and see how Stone does.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:17 AM   #169
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

The way I understand it, because Dougie ended up playing, the flames had no choice but to call it a regular call-up because it no longer qualified as emergency.
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:38 AM   #170
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM14 View Post
The way I understand it, because Dougie ended up playing, the flames had no choice but to call it a regular call-up because it no longer qualified as emergency.
they could have sent him back down right away and not had him count as a regular recall.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:43 AM   #171
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe there are other defencemen on the roster that are a bit dinged up, and they are keeping him up for insurance? With the 'playing every other night', it is going to be difficult for players nursing minor injuries to heal quickly.

Edit: I mean nursing injuries but are still in the lineup and playing.
Calgary4LIfe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:56 AM   #172
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe that teams have a certain amount of leeway when it comes to Emergency recalls because the league doesn't want to be too strict and potentially force teams to play without a full roster.

The nature of Hamilton's injury likely allowed them to keep him categorized as a game time decision for each of the last three games. If he aggravated his injury and was unable to play, Andersson could have gone in. With Stone being cleared as well, they now have an extra healthy d-man even if Hamilton was unable to go, so they can't justify Andersson being on an emergency anymore.

It's also possible that they converted Andersson's recall after the Winnipeg game and no one in the media thought to ask about it until today.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:59 AM   #173
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I believe that teams have a certain amount of leeway when it comes to Emergency recalls because the league doesn't want to be too strict and potentially force teams to play without a full roster.

The nature of Hamilton's injury likely allowed them to keep him categorized as a game time decision for each of the last three games. If he aggravated his injury and was unable to play, Andersson could have gone in. With Stone being cleared as well, they now have an extra healthy d-man even if Hamilton was unable to go, so they can't justify Andersson being on an emergency anymore.

It's also possible that they converted Andersson's recall after the Winnipeg game and no one in the media thought to ask about it until today.
It's most likely the latter
Old 03-17-2017, 03:55 PM   #174
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

They may as well keep him up now. 3 non-emergency recalls left, and 2 each of forward and defence on hand for whatever comes up, they should be able to hoard these recalls now.
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 03:57 PM   #175
alan21
Don't click that link!

Exp:

They should make these re-calls a trade-able asset for futures.
alan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:04 PM   #176
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Perhaps Wideman's dire performance against the Bruins was enough to convince management that they'd best keep Rasmus around in case Stone can't play.
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:11 PM   #177
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameZilla View Post
Perhaps Wideman's dire performance against the Bruins was enough to convince management that they'd best keep Rasmus around in case Stone can't play.
the decision would have been made when they didn't send him back after Hamilton dressed against the Jets
Old 03-17-2017, 05:11 PM   #178
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

May have already been asked but with it being a regular recall now I assume they can play him and sit a vet?
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:13 PM   #179
JohnnyT
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
May have already been asked but with it being a regular recall now I assume they can play him and sit a vet?
Yes no restriction on playing him now
Old 03-17-2017, 05:15 PM   #180
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry, just saw it's been mentioned a few times.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote