Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-04-2016, 03:29 PM   #81
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I thought he would be sent down as well. I was wrong as he's further in his development than I thought. Pretty impressive when you consider he only has a single WHL season under his belt. Draft lottery day was a pretty depressing day for Flames fans getting bumped down by the Jets but things really didn't work out too bad after all as Tkachuk has potential to be at least the 3rd best player of the top 10 players of this draft.
OHL, but I like that you admit that you were wrong. You come off as very opinionated, which is fine when you admit when you are/were wrong.
Old 12-06-2016, 02:39 PM   #82
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

TSN (Frank Seravalli) article on the emergence of Troy Stecher and whether the Canucks make a mistake taking Juolevi instead of Tkachuk.

The Canucks drafted Olli Juolevi from the OHL’s London Knights with the fifth-overall pick — the first defenceman selected by Vancouver in the first round since 2005 — and passed on a top-ranked forward in Matthew Tkachuk.

Tkachuk, 18, was next off the board to the Calgary Flames with the sixth pick. He was ranked as the fifth overall prospect on TSN director of scouting Craig Button’s final draft board.

Tkachuk has six goals and six assists in 24 games for the Flames while also providing the sandpaper many would say the Canucks are missing. Tkachuk’s 12 points are more than $36-million free agent signee Loui Eriksson has contributed so far to Vancouver’s 28th-ranked offence.

Linden believes that comparison is low-hanging fruit.

“I think it’s easy to make that comparison today because it’s right in front of you,” Linden said. “We’re really thrilled with Olli. I think we’re going to get a top pairing-type defenceman and they are worth their weight in gold.”

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/far-too-ear...plans-1.625106
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 04:01 PM   #83
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I still think the Nucks made a fine move there. After drafting wingers Shinkaruk, Virtanen and Boeser recently in the 1st and with their lack of premiere young defencemen I think taking a potential franchise defencemen was smart. I made that argument prior to the draft and stick by it.

Now if you wanna go back and critique the Virtanen pick and the way they've developed him I think that was an actual mistake
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2016, 09:49 AM   #84
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
In turn, taking penalties that get under the other team's skin will get him a reputation for being a dirt bag. Teams tend to go out of their way to attack dirt bags. Look at Koivu clocking him at one point. Getting other teams to take dumb penalties of their own will be the name of the game. Earning the reputation takes time though.
It looks like he is on his way to earning his reputation. This blogger is also bothered by the mouth guard chewing habit that he has.

http://thecomeback.com/puckdrunklove...scandella.html
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:54 AM   #85
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

They know they messed up, the fans know it too. Every Canuck fan I interact with say they wish they took Matt. That's also followed with them admitting they thought that's what Virtanen was going to be, but is seemingly more and more a third line player at best.

Love it! I remember being at the pub watching the draft and nicks fans being happy with Juolevi and me cheering we got Tkachuk and them telling me how Matt was carried by Marner and Dvorak..
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IgiTang For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2016, 10:00 AM   #86
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
I still think the Nucks made a fine move there. After drafting wingers Shinkaruk, Virtanen and Boeser recently in the 1st and with their lack of premiere young defencemen I think taking a potential franchise defencemen was smart. I made that argument prior to the draft and stick by it.

Now if you wanna go back and critique the Virtanen pick and the way they've developed him I think that was an actual mistake
Sergachyev was the only potential franchise defenseman available. It's funny because before the draft I was comparing Juolevi to Alex Edler. Now the Canucks get to replace Alex Edler with Alex Edler.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 10:00 AM   #87
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This belongs here.

IT'S TKACHUK

Best part is at the end when the very sad canuck fan says "Aww that means Calgary gets Tkachuk". He listened to Simon and Garfunkel when he got home that night.
Bandwagon In Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bandwagon In Flames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2016, 10:20 AM   #88
WesternCanadaKing
Giver of Calculators

Exp:

I can't imagine how much I would hate Tkachuk if he was playing for the Nucks.

So happy he's ours.
WesternCanadaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to WesternCanadaKing For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2016, 10:37 AM   #89
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

After watching Tkachuk the first 1/3 of the season henisn#3 for me behind Matthews and Laine for players I would want from this Draft class. Tkachuk brings an element to the Flames that has been sorely missed
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 11:07 AM   #90
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Sergachyev was the only potential franchise defenseman available. It's funny because before the draft I was comparing Juolevi to Alex Edler. Now the Canucks get to replace Alex Edler with Alex Edler.
Lol. You can't know who will turn into a franchise dman or not. Don't talk in absolutes about young prospects with huge upsides.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2016, 11:17 AM   #91
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Lol. You can't know who will turn into a franchise dman or not. Don't talk in absolutes about young prospects with huge upsides.
Yeah, I like to call it the Drew Doughty effect, Where fans want all their defencemen to be immediate impacts at 18. In reality, it takes most defencemen 4 or 5 years to even break into the league.

It is pretty funny that people will make bold claims about who or what young players will be, and be disappointed that an 18 year old isn't Drew Doughty.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2016, 11:18 AM   #92
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Duplicate

Last edited by tkflames; 12-10-2016 at 11:20 AM. Reason: DUplicate
tkflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 11:20 AM   #93
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
TSN (Frank Seravalli) article on the emergence of Troy Stecher and whether the Canucks make a mistake taking Juolevi instead of Tkachuk.

The Canucks drafted Olli Juolevi from the OHL’s London Knights with the fifth-overall pick — the first defenceman selected by Vancouver in the first round since 2005 — and passed on a top-ranked forward in Matthew Tkachuk.

Tkachuk, 18, was next off the board to the Calgary Flames with the sixth pick. He was ranked as the fifth overall prospect on TSN director of scouting Craig Button’s final draft board.

Tkachuk has six goals and six assists in 24 games for the Flames while also providing the sandpaper many would say the Canucks are missing. Tkachuk’s 12 points are more than $36-million free agent signee Loui Eriksson has contributed so far to Vancouver’s 28th-ranked offence.

Linden believes that comparison is low-hanging fruit.

“I think it’s easy to make that comparison today because it’s right in front of you,” Linden said. “We’re really thrilled with Olli. I think we’re going to get a top pairing-type defenceman and they are worth their weight in gold.”

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/far-too-ear...plans-1.625106
Want proof that Trevor Linden is no good at math:

Olie Juolevi Weight: 182 lbs - let's assume that he will grow to 220 lbs.
Troy Ounces in a Pound: 14.583
Price of Gold per Ounce: $1162
Value of Player: $3.728M

I am not sure that Linden understands how much a top pairing defenseman is worth, but it certainly isn't a career earning of $3.728M.

Vancouver & Trevor Linden = NG
Old 12-10-2016, 11:55 AM   #94
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

^ Juolevi looks great though, in the couple games I've seen of the Knights this year. He is always creating, will be able to QB a PP in time.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 12:42 PM   #95
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I get why some Vancouver fans are miffed, but I think it's very premature. Juolevi could easily turn out as good or even better as Tkachuk.

(Obviously I'm still very happy with the Flames getting Tkachuk. We got a good one, and something that helps the team immediately too.)
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2016, 03:09 PM   #96
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

was just browsing around on Eliteprospects and came across Matthews little brother Brady, who is draft eligible in 2018 (missed the cutoff for 2017 by a day it seems). In 8 USHL games, he has a total of 39 penalty minutes already. Thought that was hilarious, I guess that element of the games just comes automatically when your last name is Tkachuk.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 04:23 PM   #97
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
was just browsing around on Eliteprospects and came across Matthews little brother Brady, who is draft eligible in 2018 (missed the cutoff for 2017 by a day it seems). In 8 USHL games, he has a total of 39 penalty minutes already. Thought that was hilarious, I guess that element of the games just comes automatically when your last name is Tkachuk.
So you're saying that you are penciling his name in with the Flames 2018 1st round pick. Unless he's rated in the top ten, I would not be shocked if it happened that way.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 05:02 PM   #98
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
If you've never seen him, he's also already bigger than Matt. Kid is a giant.
Monahan For Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 05:34 PM   #99
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
So you're saying that you are penciling his name in with the Flames 2018 1st round pick. Unless he's rated in the top ten, I would not be shocked if it happened that way.
if he's available with the Flames pick and they deem him BPA at that point, then sure. Playing against one Tkachuk is a pain the behind already, can you imagine them having a second one plus Bennett? Would be hilarious.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 10:36 PM   #100
JD
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
I get why some Vancouver fans are miffed, but I think it's very premature. Juolevi could easily turn out as good or even better as Tkachuk.

(Obviously I'm still very happy with the Flames getting Tkachuk. We got a good one, and something that helps the team immediately too.)
This is a good post. With trades and drafts and comparing between rivals, it's too often thought of in dichotomies. Why can't both teams and fanbases be happy with what they got? I'm really happy with Tkachuk and I hope in the end the Canuck fans are sorely disappointed with what they got, but it's very possible both teams get what they wanted.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote