Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-07-2016, 09:21 AM   #21
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
We need to see the full roster playing their specific assignments to properly judge the system. Too early. Let's talk in 10-20 games.
You're telling me linden vey bobbling the puck along the half wall isn't how the powerplay was drawn up?
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:31 AM   #22
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It really never a good idea to put much stock into pre-season, especially without our best player in any of the games.

The Flames gave more opportunity to PTO's than other teams and by all accounts they under-performed. Then you have the vets who are more focused about playing the new system than winning the meaningless pre-season games. It's going to take some time before everyone is comfortable and actually executing the systems to GG's liking.

There's a reason teams like Edmonton always do well in the pre-season. They have more jump than other teams because they're all collectively trying to prove that this year is different. Put a lot of stock into the games and the coaches make decisions based on whats best for winning the game rather than giving fringe players an extended look.

That said, a few of the players who needed to make an early impression did. Brouwer secured the spot with Bennett. Tkachuk secured his 9 games at the very least. Elliott has earned his teams trust already.

I'm happy with that.
Bandwagon In Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:32 AM   #23
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can't judge a system until a team is actually executing it.

Well.

And we're no where near there yet.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:36 AM   #24
FireItUp
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think we might get off to a slow start with a new system and without Gaudreau, Monohan and insert player playing together. Hopefully the Bennett, Brouwer and Tkachuck can do the business until Monohan's line picks it up.
Elliott looks like the real deal, Johnson needs to get his timing on with more practice and games.

Either way, I'm going to the Oilers home opener against our Flames, so I hoping we get Gaudreau signed today so he can come in and steal the spotlight from McCaptain, like he did at the WHC.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:47 AM   #25
LouCypher
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hard to get a read on his system at this point, I would say 20 games in we should see something more to evaluate. He does look like Archie all grown up on the bench hahaha. I think playing all these PTO guys maybe doesn't serve the team well, I would have rather have seen a longer look at some of the guys we sent to Stockton.
LouCypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:52 AM   #26
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Never trust a one N Glen.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:07 AM   #27
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Too hard to tell that there *was* actually a system in play.

Moving up ice as a group of 5 is great in theory; it breaks down totally when no-one can complete two passes in a row. And, if the d-men are too far up ice and dump-back occurs, they're totally exposed to an odd-man rush. Maybe when Brodie, Gio et al are back in place it won't look so off-balance.

No pressure on the opposing goalie and not enough net-front presence. Again, maybe that the top-tier players are missing.

Good defensively, sort of. But the guys executing it over the past few days couldn't separate forwards from the puck, lost almost all the board battles, and couldn't clear the puck effectively. Again, back to Gio, Brodie.....maybe better then.

As others have said, not sure we'll see a "real" system in play until some number of games have been played. Not impressed so far - too confused everywhere on the ice and too much running around doing nothing going on.
taxbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:19 AM   #28
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

What I've been wondering is... I heard Gulutzan doesn't like the bump back. Yet I've seen it multiple times every PP.
Monahan For Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahan For Mayor For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2016, 10:58 AM   #29
Phaneufenstein
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just watching yesterday's game where the roster was mediocre, I noticed that they are holding on to the puck more in the defensive zone for a cleaner breakout.
With more skilled guys and time to adjust, I think this will be a treat to watch
Phaneufenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 11:15 AM   #30
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan For Mayor View Post
What I've been wondering is... I heard Gulutzan doesn't like the bump back. Yet I've seen it multiple times every PP.
Some of those guys have been playing it for three years now. Hard to break those habits sometimes. Plus, I doubt he says "never use it" since it can work sometimes (just not every time). Same applies to the stretch pass.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 11:16 AM   #31
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

To add to my comments: what I've seen, I've liked.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 11:27 AM   #32
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

No top liners gettin proper in game action to get sync'd.

AHL lineups night after night, no mainstays truly getting used to the new system.

Not 1 game with an almost starting lineup, hence getting crushed and looking real bad vs Vancouver.

Not 1 game with our top 4 D playing together, how can we tell if they will in fact control the flow of the new system...?

Now, first 10 games will be some players getting back to game speed.

Players getting used to each other at game speed and learning to read line-mates new tendencies with the new system.

First 20 games will be sorting out the bottom 3 D as they are going to look like a liability. (Wideman still trying to backhand everything out of his own zone and batting at pucks that he should just be letting go by, essentially trying to do too much while actually not doing anything at all)

April 15 2017- 5 points or so out and missing the playoffs and wondering where it all went wrong..?

Well, just look at pre-season, and first 10 games.

The new system, not playing a starting lineup enough in pre-season, not having our proper starting line-up at all through the pre-season, will all add up to the same distraction and result as the 3 headed goalie monster last year.

Sorry for the Debbie downer post, but I'm really struggling to see how this team comes out and actually competes right from the get go.

I hope I'm wrong on all accounts.
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 11:40 AM   #33
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Not enough Flying V's knuckle pucks and triple dekes.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 11:44 AM   #34
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
Not sure how your complaints, while having merit, are GG's fault. I doubt he controlled the roster for preseason games. Management was likely dictating who they needed to see in each game. And the Gaudreau situation prevented any kind of real look at a top line.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 11:52 AM   #35
Demaeon
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
F'n Commie. Not gonna show you the big board

Thanks for giving me a reason to share one of my favourite gifs.

Last edited by Demaeon; 10-07-2016 at 12:21 PM.
Demaeon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Demaeon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2016, 11:55 AM   #36
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

They look to be working better as a 5 man unit.

Not sure if part of the system but seemed like more passes within the Flames zone. Lots of those were ill-advised and will end up in the net if not corrected.
automaton 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 11:56 AM   #37
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Drop passes seems less possible to be picked off.

In a seriousness, I feel it is too early to tell. I miss the pace the team brought under Hartley.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 01:40 PM   #38
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

To early to tell, give it until Nov 1 to determine its effectiveness or not with the regular roster. It would be easy to say it is bland but that is an unfair assesment considering we have only seen it in preseason.
Old 10-07-2016, 01:50 PM   #39
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
No top liners gettin proper in game action to get sync'd.

AHL lineups night after night, no mainstays truly getting used to the new system.

Not 1 game with an almost starting lineup, hence getting crushed and looking real bad vs Vancouver.

Not 1 game with our top 4 D playing together, how can we tell if they will in fact control the flow of the new system...?

Now, first 10 games will be some players getting back to game speed.

Players getting used to each other at game speed and learning to read line-mates new tendencies with the new system.

First 20 games will be sorting out the bottom 3 D as they are going to look like a liability. (Wideman still trying to backhand everything out of his own zone and batting at pucks that he should just be letting go by, essentially trying to do too much while actually not doing anything at all)

April 15 2017- 5 points or so out and missing the playoffs and wondering where it all went wrong..?

Well, just look at pre-season, and first 10 games.

The new system, not playing a starting lineup enough in pre-season, not having our proper starting line-up at all through the pre-season, will all add up to the same distraction and result as the 3 headed goalie monster last year.

Sorry for the Debbie downer post, but I'm really struggling to see how this team comes out and actually competes right from the get go.

I hope I'm wrong on all accounts.
i'm unfortunately in the same place....

Our top line has yet to play a practice, and won't have any preseason game time.

Our top offensive player may not even play at the start of the season.

Preseason games haven't provided much confidence, especially offensively. Just 9 goals in 7 games. No body made a big push for the obvious job openings on the opening day roster (1 line RW, 3 line LW, 4th line wingers, #6,7 dman).

I'm quite nervous for the start of the season also..
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2016, 12:01 AM   #40
hockey.modern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bump, still might be early, but thoughts so far?