Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-18-2017, 12:44 AM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default Ducks 5 Flames 4 (OT)

http://www.calgarypuck.com/2017/04/g...ad-series-3-0/

That was something huh?

Complete disbelief in the lack of bounces for this hockey team.

Pretty happy to see Bennett find his game, and really impressed with Monahan.

Rough night for Dougie Hamilton.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:16 AM   #2
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have to admit I don't like the its all been about luck theory. Goaltending is the most important factor in the playoffs and Elliott has been poor. Perhaps the worst goalie in the playoffs. Mentally the Flames have been weak whether confidence wise or in showing a lack of discipline.

Have they had adversity to deal with? Yes they have and come up short. The goaltending is yet again a weakness on the team. Just not good enough.

Those are pretty huge factors and how the heck are they supposed to overcome adversity when the goalie is letting in stinkers and they get rattled so easily?
St. Pats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:33 AM   #3
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Pats View Post
I have to admit I don't like the its all been about luck theory. Goaltending is the most important factor in the playoffs and Elliott has been poor. Perhaps the worst goalie in the playoffs. Mentally the Flames have been weak whether confidence wise or in showing a lack of discipline.

Have they had adversity to deal with? Yes they have and come up short. The goaltending is yet again a weakness on the team. Just not good enough.

Those are pretty huge factors and how the heck are they supposed to overcome adversity when the goalie is letting in stinkers and they get rattled so easily?
Totally agree. Great goaltending and solid coaching. See Oilers, Edmonton.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:43 AM   #4
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
You're being way too gracious with Elliott.

4th and 5th Ducks goals were both complete stinkers.

I'm usually pretty understanding with goaltending, but IMO there's no real debate that this was completely on Elliott.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 04:51 AM   #5
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep, after game one this series has been on Elliott. Too many softies in the last two games. Bad luck and mental lapses have featured in the losses as well, but the soft goals have been killers.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:37 AM   #6
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I struggle with Elliott. He has shown he can be a top tier goaltender here in Calgary. However, last night was ugly. The again I look at the 4th goal and onthe replay it shows a bounce off Benett with interference from...Engelland.

It has happened a lot where the puck has pin balled right into the net. So is the issue Elliott or is it that the Flames are playing poor defense. The old addage block the shot or get out of the way. Are the Flames screening Elliott but doing a lousy job of committing to block shots or keeping traffic out of his crease both them and the Ducks?

I am to indifferent right now to check. However I think it is a combination of all of it. It was just disappointing to see last nights game basically mirrior game #1 of the season. Came full circle for me.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:39 AM   #7
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

bad luck, bad goaltending = doomed.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:00 AM   #8
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any team that gets to the Stanley cup final probably has a few bounces go their way but there was nothing lucky about 2004. Flames outworked their opponents and received outstanding goaltending. This series the Flames have outplayed the Ducks for the majority of three games but have received substandard goaltending. You can't win in the playoffs with substandard goaltending no matter how good your roster is.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:10 AM   #9
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Elliott was a world beater in game one. He's been very ordinary the last two.

Bennett was built for playoff hockey, the guy has been terrific.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 08:18 AM   #10
BurningSteel
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I feel like Dr. Claw every game. We'll get you next time Anaheim....next time. And then the next time ends the same way.

BurningSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BurningSteel For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 08:37 AM   #11
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Our entire bottom 6 has stepped up. Engelland and Giordano have been great on the backend.

Monahan and Ferland have been unbelievable.

But that still leaves a lot of players that we depend on that hasn't stepped up at all.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:48 AM   #12
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Elliott, Brouwer and to an extent Versteeg were brought in as veterans with playoff experience to lead this team at this time of year.

Versteeg has delivered.

Utter crap from the other 2.

Elliott gave up 4 goals in the final 14 shots. With a 3 goal lead.

You go with Johnson until he loses. Hopefull he can get us a couple of games and end the curse.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:18 AM   #13
atb
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Flames could be up 2-1 in the series with better goaltending. The two early soft ones in game 2 were killer. At least 2, maybe 3 of the goals last night should have been stopped, regardless of the deflections or bounces. These bounces appear to be going against the Flames because they result in goals. These types of deflections happen in games all the time, just that good goaltenders tend to make the save and it's a non-issue.

They did everything right last night, extremely disciplined, played with a controlled edge, kept a lot of the shots to the outside, scored enough goals. I don't see how the blame could be placed anywhere except on Elliott. What I really hated, was his body language after each goal. He was looking for a call, or someone to blame, instead of owning it. On the supposed Hamilton deflection, he's trying to stare down Hamilton after the fact. If that was deflected, it was far enough away, and a small enough deflection, that Elliott should have had that. It's on him, not Dougie.
atb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atb For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 09:33 AM   #14
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well Bingo at least you watch the games.

Hamilton was drifting out there.

The other guy that has become somewhat of liability is Gaudreau.

He should not be on the ice for a defense zone face off. always seems to be circling back just enough to wave at the play. When they showed him scoring the tying goal 2 years ago he was significantly quicker than he is now. Really hard and dangerous to play his skill game at top speed.... That is what made him special.

If we had Hamilton Gaudreau Monahan on bridge deals the total overall 3rd contracts would be likely less.

Bennett is the new future for the Flames but hopefully we bridge him rather than than 6x6
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:45 AM   #15
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Not sure if you're just trying to stir things up but do you really want to sound as if you think a person is only watching if they see it the way you do?
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:49 PM   #16
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Perhaps I'm overreacting but I'm actually starting to dislike Gaudreau. I wish he was more like Gallagher or Byron, a guy that can actually play physical and bring more than just pirouetes and over-passing. Don't get me wrong, he can be terrific at times with his sick moves and passes, but he's just too weak for playoff hockey.

(waiting for him to prove me wrong)
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stanley For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 06:22 PM   #17
wired
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post

Hamilton was drifting out there.

The other guy that has become somewhat of liability is Gaudreau.

He should not be on the ice for a defense zone face off. always seems to be circling back just enough to wave at the play. When they showed him scoring the tying goal 2 years ago he was significantly quicker than he is now. Really hard and dangerous to play his skill game at top speed.... That is what made him special.

If we had Hamilton Gaudreau Monahan on bridge deals the total overall 3rd contracts would be likely less.

Bennett is the new future for the Flames but hopefully we bridge him rather than than 6x6
I was wondering if it was me being super critical, or if other fans have seen this.
I wonder why he just quits on a play when his team mates are still going hard.
Not too impressed this season with his compete level.
wired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:26 PM   #18
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
Our entire bottom 6 has stepped up. Engelland and Giordano have been great on the backend.

Monahan and Ferland have been unbelievable.

But that still leaves a lot of players that we depend on that hasn't stepped up at all.
What exactly has Ferland done to be "unbelievable"