Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-06-2016, 11:22 PM   #1
hockey.modern
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default What are your thoughts on Glen Gulutzan's system?

With the wrap up of the preseason, what are your thoughts on the changes to the systems for the upcoming season?
Old 10-06-2016, 11:31 PM   #2
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

A little bit too much dump and chase, but overall I like it. I would prefer more of a soviet style patience.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 11:32 PM   #3
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

When I see it in action I will let you know
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 11:34 PM   #4
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

We got like 1.2 pre season games on TV this year compared to the 5 or 6 the other Canadian teams got so I guess we'll have to answer after a couple regular season games.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2016, 11:34 PM   #5
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

It needs more Gaudreau.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:44 PM   #6
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Too soon to tell. The lineups they have iced have not resembled the team that we will see in the regular season.

I liked some of the things they were working on in camp.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 11:56 PM   #7
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Needs more Johnny.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 12:00 AM   #8
darthma
Scoring Winger

Location: Down by the sea, where the watermelons grow, back to my home, I dare not go...
Exp:

I posted this thought in the Game Thread. They had a really hard time breaking out of the zone with any speed. It was really boring to watch. I suddenly miss Hartley's stretch pass stuff.
darthma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to darthma For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2016, 12:02 AM   #9
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like it a lot. It is the system I was hoping for.

The defense is very tight in the defensive zone, and the forwards are more prone to clog up the front of the net. Allowing shots from the perimeter is not a big deal. Preventing ones from the home plate area is paramount. The goalies by in large can stop the point shots and ones from the half wall area without much difficulty. The shots from in tight are the problem (see three of Van's four goals tonight for an example).

The breakouts are as a team, which with the type of guys we have on the back end is how it should be. They are fast, so having them not to jump way up in the play makes it both easier to contribute offensively, but also decreases the distance they have to go to get back. Once Gaudreau and Monahan are back together and the third line of what I'm assuming will be Bouma-Backlund-Frolik are going, this team is going to be deadly.

Each game we were good in the Corsi department and outshot the other team heavily. Once you get some skilled guys in there, it makes it all the more easy for goals to come.

Hard to score when you're basically putting 4th line AHL players out there in most of the games during the preseason.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2016, 12:04 AM   #10
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthma View Post
I posted this thought in the Game Thread. They had a really hard time breaking out of the zone with any speed. It was really boring to watch. I suddenly miss Hartley's stretch pass stuff.
It will be okay though because we are going to win a lot more games now and that's the important thing.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2016, 12:44 AM   #11
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it is really tough to judge the system so far. Too many guys in and out of the lineup, too many rookies, too many PTO's, etc., in preseason under a new coach and without (for the most part) the first line (so everyone slots in differently).

Unless the Flames start off game 1 playing the system well, it will really be too soon to comment until at least the 20 game mark. I just find it difficult to say if I like a system or not when there is a lot of system break-downs. Flames looked like they are playing with their head's chopped-off for even 3/4s of most games.

There seems to be certain things I like about the system - but there were definitely things that seemed really, really good about Hartley's system too. Even when the stretch-pass became a thing, it made total sense seeing as the defence were mostly of the puck-moving, great passing types. League had a difficult time adjusting to the Flames I thought, but then when they did (last season) the Flames still ended up finding ways to get on the score-sheet.

I do like the pressure they seem to be putting on in the defensive zone (I had no problem with Hartley's offensive system - it generated a lot of offence after all, but felt the defence was too passive and too reliant on shot-blocking). However, at the moment, it does look like the Flames are often running around in their own zone trying to put that pressure on too often, and end up puck-chasing instead of playing smart defence. Is that they system, or are guys just missing assignments and adjusting to being on the ice, playing with different guys every night, and learning a system? I think it was the latter, so I can't really provide criticisms, and the platitudes thus far end with "more defensive zone pressure".

~20 games or so and I think the Flames should (they better!) have the system down-pat and should be easier to comment on.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2016, 01:02 AM   #12
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pre-season games are far less clean than regular games. Wait until the season starts before you judge.

Having said that, I have no idea what to expect from the team this year. Like zero. Cautiously pessimistic, I guess.
Henry Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 01:10 AM   #13
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
A little bit too much dump and chase, but overall I like it. I would prefer more of a soviet style patience.
F'n Commie. Not gonna show you the big board
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2016, 01:11 AM   #14
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

pre season

no top line

Its impossible to tell really
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2016, 02:39 AM   #15
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not bad, I like what I see but need to see NHL players doing it to really be able to comment much. Each game I saw we outshot the other team, usually buy a pretty large margin, so once there's guys that can score added into the mix I think it'll work pretty well

Last edited by btimbit; 10-07-2016 at 02:41 AM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:33 AM   #16
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw six of seven preseason games in full.

The system works well with the skilled players, but for the grinders and depth defensemen, they still seemed to handle the puck like a hand grenade in their own end and frequent in-zone passes to exit the zone gives them opportunities to bobble. I'm sure it'll get better as they adjust to it, but there were a few cringe-worthy moments throughout the exhibition season.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2016, 08:50 AM   #17
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
I saw six of seven preseason games in full.

The system works well with the skilled players, but for the grinders and depth defensemen, they still seemed to handle the puck like a hand grenade in their own end and frequent in-zone passes to exit the zone gives them opportunities to bobble. I'm sure it'll get better as they adjust to it, but there were a few cringe-worthy moments throughout the exhibition season.
Interesting. Thanks for the insight.

So then, do you think Gulutzan will adapt his system for the grinder types to just chip it out instead of trying to move the puck like the Red Army? It would seem to me that his system should be adaptable depending on the personnel, right? Otherwise we're looking at another coach who is stubborn to change the system, which was problematic last year.

The top 3 lines should all have forwards who can move the puck out of their zone with Gulutzan's system, but the 4th line and the bottom pair are likely going to have to keep it simple, and whatever d-pair/forward line they are working with will need to be aware of that and adapt their game and anticipation of the play a little.

Besides which, some variability within a game is fine, as long as there's a cohesive plan for the majority of the game.

I really, really wish I could have watched more than a couple periods this preseason in order to evaluate this a little on my own.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:12 AM   #18
Fischy13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Not sure if its a valid concern, I do think we see an offensive decline. For a couple reasons. Hartley was up tempo, risky, high flying offense. It was entertaining af. It sacrificed defense and poor possession. By default, I believe we take a step back be it exciting offense, actual offense. That unfortunately will draw attention. It's also gonna suck if its compounded by Gaudrea missing time and Gulutzan's system takes unnecessary flak because of it. I feel there is a recipe for disaster here. I hope I'm wrong. I think Gulutzan's system will be 1000x better defensively though and lead to winning more games. Just think it will be criticized unfairly for a step back offensively. I could be wrong, until I see more of it, maybe it leads to more goals...
Fischy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:18 AM   #19
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

such an odd preseason when you think of it.

how many teams essentially go the entire process without a top line? The third line arrive late from the World Cup, the first line never did arrive, and the second line newly invented was great.

Wouldn't put a lot of stock in any thing we saw ... just hope it all hits the ground running given the distractions and absentees in camp.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:19 AM   #20
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

We need to see the full roster playing their specific assignments to properly judge the system. Too early. Let's talk in 10-20 games.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote