Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-13-2016, 10:58 PM   #101
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
They talk about it in the episode. They talk to each other debugging themselves becoming more and more human like.

The man in black scalps the one guy which shows some kind of map or else some kind of Nurel net revealing they are android. He's seeking the maze so I kind of assume that it's a map for the maze. The girl drops out of character when she says the maze is not for you which to me could mean it is unfinished content.

My MIB premise is this guy essentially moved into the came from the real world and doesn't leave. He is a super player who has seen all the moves been shot as a guest from every situation so can anticipate the next moves. Maybe he's been imprisoned by the corporation in this fake world trying to escape or just an eccentric billionaire.

So my theory is the Maze is the new naritive that Hopkins introduced and he and the MIB have some previous connection which will come to a head inside.
Not as sure about this theory. If you slow the video around the scalp scene down enough, the scalp shows a person splayed out like the virtruvian man. I'm more inclined to think that this represents the android being made like in the Westworld logo or the host production factory that Dr Ford likes the hang around in. It's likely not a maze and just a representation of the machine that made the hosts.

Spoiler!

If that is indeed what it represents, and if the Lawrence's daughter's message to MIB saying the puzzle "is not for you" (a guest). The area around the machine might represent the path for the hosts to see where they were made i.e. meet their maker Dr Ford. Dr Ford seems to be continually pushing boundaries to make hosts more intelligent and real. A maze with the host production facility in the middle would seem to me a draw for any self-aware, intelligent and curious host to find their way back to Dr. Ford for whatever reason he sees fit.

Last edited by FlameOn; 10-14-2016 at 12:46 PM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2016, 11:46 PM   #102
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Couple of thoughts.

What is corporate up to that they keep mentioning? Military application?

Boy that walked with Hopkins, that's a younger android of himself? Made mention their fathers both used the same phrase. And speaking of Hopkins, he mentioned his own storyline plan but all they showed was what looked like the top of an old knocked down church, or whatever the hell that was.

Old man eye patch kept mentioning a treasure hunt to shy guy and his dbag friend. Ed Harris, who is excellent btw, is on a hunt of his own. Coinkydink?

Furthermore, mr shy filled cyclops' role. Bumped into guy right after getting off train, is being chivalrous, met Abernathe's daughter. Even picked up the can the same etc. Is he also going to have in common that he's enemies with Mr Black?

Is Hannibal the saboteur? Androids are having dreams, Bernard thinks it is because of the new programming (forget what he calls them), and there's definitely something fishy going on with old man Lecter. new programming caused Thandie Newton to have the dreams of Mr Black. He's one effed up mofo. Did I mention Ed Harris is excellent?

Sorry I barely remember their names so I'm just calling them by characters they've played in other roles or by made up nicknames. These are all rhetorical questions or ones that I expect the show will answer. I don't need actual responses.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 10-13-2016 at 11:50 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 08:15 AM   #103
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't Mr Black also say that he was born in the world?

And Thandie Newton...
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Madman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2016, 08:21 AM   #104
Iceman57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Iceman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 11:37 PM   #105
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched the first two episodes. Good God. This is the most ambitious TV show ever made. It has all the potential to pay off, and I hope it does. I also hope they keep up with the Shakespeare, though it was fairly specific to Abernathy's background.

There's too much interesting stuff to talk about jammed into two episodes, but one thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is the casting. They've deliberately tried to cast certain actors that skirt the edge of the uncanny valley. Angela Sarafyan is the most obvious of these but there are a number of others, including Jimmi Simpson, Louis Herthum and Evan Rachel Wood. There's just something very slightly off about their facial features and proportions that creates a subtle discomfort, like a deceptive cadence. That's just inspired.

I'm all in on this. I really hope they can pull it off. This reminds me of old HBO shows like Carnivale where they could really just... try stuff.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2016, 05:34 PM   #106
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
Didn't Mr Black also say that he was born in the world?

And Thandie Newton...
He said "He's been coming here for 30 years. In a sense, I was born here. This here is exactly why I come (referring to the gunfight)"

So he's just a long term guest that seems to have some huge amount of money to stay there long term and has been there since the last park "disaster" 30 years ago.
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2016, 05:37 PM   #107
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

In the Series Finale I hope that Westworld mixes with Jurassic Park and the Cowboys have to fight the Dinosaurs in an epic battle to the death.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2016, 11:55 PM   #108
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

What the #### did I just watch?

Holy ####.
Old 10-16-2016, 11:56 PM   #109
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
What the #### did I just watch?

Holy ####.
There is some huge thematic consequences in this episode. Great episode.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 10-17-2016, 12:01 AM   #110
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

We need to keep a Teddy kill counter in this thread. I guess this time he got axed instead of getting shot.

Is Ford trying to add a zombie storyline to Westworld or what?

Also young Anthony Hopkins!

EDIT: Teddy Death Count: 5
-3 on screen gunshot deaths
-1 off screen gunshot death
-1 axe to the chest

Last edited by FlameOn; 10-17-2016 at 02:33 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2016, 06:13 AM   #111
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Not sure they needed another mysterious creator aside from Hopkins but whatever! Am I supposed to put stuff in spoilers? Meh whatever.

Maybe Hopkins' former partner is Ed Harris? Maybe he created an avatar for himself, but gave it different rules than the other droids in the park? And forgot to tell himself who he was... I dunno.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:31 AM   #112
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was meant to sound like a suicide but he likely is killed by the androids. I like the idea that he is the MIB. Essentially an android with Arnolds back story and consciousness code in and none of the code that stops him from harming humans. The programmers important lines of the backstory being the anchor that holds together the personality. And the security guys comment that only one line of code prevents them from hurting us.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2016, 09:31 AM   #113
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was also thinking it could be Ed harris.
Great episode overall.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 10:50 AM   #114
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm possibly confused - clarity anyone?

Spoiler!
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 10:55 AM   #115
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
I'm possibly confused - clarity anyone?

Spoiler!
I think we saw from Teddy's refusal to run away that Host's are programmed with strong aversions to certain actions. You see is that Delores can't even fire a gun.

Depending on how you think the timeline functions no one intervened in Delores's code between that scene and the scene of her shooting the other host. It appears though that they did not fix the Revory (sp) update that caused the glitches in episode one on Delores.

So her emerging consciousness has allowed her to override her programmed aversions. So I think its a function of her remembering. The pain associated with what is about to happen overrides her fear / aversion to killing.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2016, 11:00 AM   #116
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

What about her conversations with Bernard? Didn't he tell her to act only spontaneously (or whatever word he used) during their conversation? And then made her promise to stick to code, just like he did with killing the fly. Her divergence from code is getting further and further.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:02 AM   #117
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
What about her conversations with Bernard? Didn't he tell her to act only spontaneously (or whatever word he used) during their conversation? And then made her promise to stick to code, just like he did with killing the fly. Her divergence from code is getting further and further.
That was just during their conversation so she didn't give him canned responses to his questions, not a forever change how you act command.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 11:10 AM   #118
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's the photo of Arnold...

He looks to be quite a bit older than the young Hopkins.
Old 10-17-2016, 12:28 PM   #119
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

For anyone interested in picking up more of the backstory on Westworld, you can visit the Westworld website at discoverwestworld dot com. It's the theme park's website and the writers use it to drop interesting tidbits here and there.

There are all sorts of things you can figure out from there including how much it costs to stay in westworld, internal company bulletin boards/emails, details on settings, and "loops" of some of the characters. Here is Dolores's character loop for example (spoilers):
Spoiler!

But it's blocked in Canada and will re-direct to the HBO Canada website so follow the instructions in the spoilers.
Spoiler!

Last edited by FlameOn; 10-17-2016 at 01:17 PM.
Old 10-17-2016, 12:38 PM   #120
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why does HBO hate Canada? I mean, I pay my money!