Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-26-2012, 11:10 AM   #161
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

That is interesting.

What surprises me more is the lack of quality Kenny's had as far as tactics are concerned. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, but its becoming harder and harder to do. Some of his tacticalty decisions are abviously wrong, and I'm wondering if hes making these decisions because the players arent performing or whether the players arent performing because of the demands of the decisions.

That being said though, his transfer signings havent panned out, and I cut Carroll a lot of slack because the whole side isnt contributing so how is he expected to?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:54 PM   #162
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It's been baffling to me for the last few games that Carroll will play so well in the starting 11, and then be on the bench the next week. Without Carroll on, we really don't have anyone who is forcing defenders back and pressuring them consistently. Suarez does it as well as he can, but he also drops off from balls in the air and comes back to midfield to support the ball. Kuyt is kind of the same. He'll never be a true target man because he does so much work in other areas. From every Carroll appearance I've seen lately, he's done a great job of holding the ball up and moving the game forward. It's exactly what he was missing earlier this year and last year as well. He's gotta be starting the majority of games now that we're out of any league race this year.
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:53 PM   #163
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heads up!!

http://www.lfctour.com/

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2012, 10:54 AM   #164
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Man, I miss this guy. What a difference maker he is for us. Lucas actually leads our team in tackles this year, despite having missed most of the season. Lucas has 68 tackles in 12 games played. In comparison, our next player with the most tackles is Adam, with 62 in 28 games. That is incredible.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:07 PM   #165
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Does anybody here listen to The Anfield Wrap podcast?

I started listening just after it was launched, and I've become a pretty big fan of it. It's nice to be able to listen to some commentary on Liverpool games each week. If you guys haven't heard it, I'd recommend giving it a shot.

http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TopChed For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2012, 06:41 AM   #166
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

I went to the match on Saturday (having been to see Tranmere Rovers the day before). I'm not a supporter but it was a great experience. Hearing You'll Never Walk Alone followed by a minute of silence for the Hillsborough disaster (in which you could honestly hear a pin drop within a full stadium) sent chills down the spine and was pretty powerful. I could certainly see how sport transcends sport sometimes. Fun match, Liverpool missed a lot of good opportunities but emerged with the draw after a bleak first half.

Also, Liverpool is a wild city. I don't remember much else of the weekend but I know I want to go back.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:19 AM   #167
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Liverpool have announced that director of football Damien Comolli has left the club by "mutual consent".
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...omolli?cc=5901

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2012, 08:33 AM   #168
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^so what does this mean to the club? Was he responsible for acquisitions?
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:01 AM   #169
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
^^^so what does this mean to the club? Was he responsible for acquisitions?
He is technically responsible for all purchases and sales, but he typically works closely with the manager.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:42 AM   #170
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Good, he really isn't that good at his job. He has shown that at a couple of different places. It was also pretty clear that he and Kenny didn't see eye to eye on what players to target.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:14 PM   #171
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think this is a scapegoat for Kenny and Henry

Commoli has never bought English in the past (Spurs/Arsenal) and has always been one for a bargain, when you buy English you overpay, Liverpool like to buy English

the successful buys he is credited for bringing to the two North London clubs

Henry, Pires, Bale, Modric, Berbatov, Toure, BAE, Kaboul, Prince-Boateng

not an Englishman among the bunch
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:21 PM   #172
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

They fired to doctor too!
Old 04-12-2012, 03:18 PM   #173
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
I think this is a scapegoat for Kenny and Henry

Commoli has never bought English in the past (Spurs/Arsenal) and has always been one for a bargain, when you buy English you overpay, Liverpool like to buy English

the successful buys he is credited for bringing to the two North London clubs

Henry, Pires, Bale, Modric, Berbatov, Toure, BAE, Kaboul, Prince-Boateng

not an Englishman among the bunch
I don't know if they are intending to use Comolli as a scapegoat, but I personally don't put much, if any, blame on Comolli. It can be argued about who had what influence on transfers, but at the end of the day it is Kenny's responsibility. Plus, as you said, the transfers appear to reek of Kenny's influence, not Comolli's. For one example, Comolli had apparently told Moussa Sissoko's agent that he saw Sissoko as a long term replacement for Gerrard. However, Kenny had no interest in the player, so nothing ever materialized.

Kenny was quoted on the LFC site saying that the transfer targets were his, and Comolli's job was to follow through on the player and take care of the negotiations with the club and player.

I have no issue with Comolli going, but I really don't fault him for much.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:17 PM   #174
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
I don't know if they are intending to use Comolli as a scapegoat, but I personally don't put much, if any, blame on Comolli. It can be argued about who had what influence on transfers, but at the end of the day it is Kenny's responsibility. Plus, as you said, the transfers appear to reek of Kenny's influence, not Comolli's. For one example, Comolli had apparently told Moussa Sissoko's agent that he saw Sissoko as a long term replacement for Gerrard. However, Kenny had no interest in the player, so nothing ever materialized.

Kenny was quoted on the LFC site saying that the transfer targets were his, and Comolli's job was to follow through on the player and take care of the negotiations with the club and player.

I have no issue with Comolli going, but I really don't fault him for much.
ya that's true he may not be used as a scapegoat they may have just decided that they are going to give Kenny full control and see what happens

will know soon enough because if they don't hire another DOF then it's all Kenny
Old 04-13-2012, 09:07 AM   #175
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Uh oh.....

Quote:
Dutch legend Johan Cruyff is among the heavy-weight names being targeted by Liverpool following the departure of Damien Comolli as the Premier League club's director of football.
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...s-exit?cc=5901

Cruyff, while a legend, also happens to be insane.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:11 AM   #176
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Uh oh.....

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...s-exit?cc=5901

Cruyff, while a legend, also happens to be insane.
I saw his name brought up yesterday and I just dismissed it as a random rumor, but since then I have seen it get brought up in several different places. I'm not really sure how to feel about that.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:20 AM   #177
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
I saw his name brought up yesterday and I just dismissed it as a random rumor, but since then I have seen it get brought up in several different places. I'm not really sure how to feel about that.
While I'm not too sure of his transfers/player-movement abilities, I think he might be able to do wonders with your Academy and youth setups.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:04 AM   #178
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addick View Post
While I'm not too sure of his transfers/player-movement abilities, I think he might be able to do wonders with your Academy and youth setups.
The entire Ajax board of directors quit because of him. When he does something well he does it really well, but hes stubborn and refuses to compromise. I dont see that going well.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:24 PM   #179
mac_82
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Rumours have been flying around that LFC will play TFC in Toronto July 21.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer...-rogers-centre
mac_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:33 AM   #180
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

well that was bloody embarrassing!
Lose to West Brom for first time in 45 years? The team has clearly given up.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anfield , gerrard , ynwa