Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-30-2012, 10:01 AM   #141
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Liverpool added Danny Ward to its Academy ranks on Monday. Sky Sports reports the 18-year-old goalkeeper is leaving Wrexham FC for Anfield for a modest transfer fee.
http://www.nesn.com/2012/01/report-l...s-academy.html
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:02 AM   #142
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kristoffer Nordfeldt is traveling to Liverpool with hopes of completing a deadline-day move to the Reds. The 22-year-old goalkeeper is a free agent, having last played for Swedish club IF Brommapojkarna, according to Sky Sports.

http://www.nesn.com/2012/01/report-l...ml?rs-img120=0
Old 01-30-2012, 10:10 AM   #143
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

What's up with Liverpool stockpiling all these keepers? IIRC, the first team backup Doni (or whatever is his name) hasn't touched a single ball yet this season.
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:24 AM   #144
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

There was also a rumour that they offered to swap Carroll for Tevez. No idea why, as if he hates Manchester that much I dont know how much of an improvement Liverpool is going to be.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:52 AM   #145
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
There was also a rumour that they offered to swap Carroll for Tevez. No idea why, as if he hates Manchester that much I dont know how much of an improvement Liverpool is going to be.
yep
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...d-carroll-swap

Andy says he is happy with the Reds though...
http://www.thenewstribe.com/2012/01/.../#.TybY1_lGyLg
Old 02-01-2012, 01:12 PM   #146
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

So not much action for us this window. Joao Carlos Teixeira made the switch. He looks like a great young prospect and is dubbed the "next Deco".

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/lates...-joins-academy

I keep reading that it is very likely that Doni will be going back to Brazil, and Brad Jones will be away from the club for personal reasons, and that Nordfeldt will be signed. I guess these transactions can still occur because the Brazilian window is still open and Nordfeldt is a FA.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:45 PM   #147
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's not only Liverpool, everyone else (save Tottenham) was quiet on the deadline. I was stoked to read about rumors of Liverpool to snatch Keisuke Honda away from Lazio, but he didn't go anywhere. I hope he will come to Liverpool in the summer.
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:53 PM   #148
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if this will be foreshadowing of the NHL trade deadline. I'd love to see the talking heads sit there all day playing checkers or something because nothing happened.

As it is, I'm not surprised by Liverpool's lack of action. When NESV came in to take over I never got the impression that they were Daddy Warbucks. I was actually shocked at the amount of transfer funds Kenny was allowed over the summer, but I never expected them to give him much more.

The only surprising thing to me was that some players didnt leave. I honestly believe that Kenny's biggest issue at the moment is an overabundance of selection options, the team shows no consistency week to week in formation outside of the back 4, and even then he tinkers with that.

Get rid of some bodies and start playing a consistent first XI.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 02-01-2012, 02:25 PM   #149
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Come on Arsene, Oxlade-Chamberlain looks tired and Arshavin looks like hes itching to get on the field!

Old 02-04-2012, 01:04 PM   #150
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

It will be interesting to see Kenny's selection for Monday now that Suarez is back. I think we really need to stick with the 4-3-3 with Spearing sitting right in front of our defense. He will be absolutely key against the really strong midfield of the Spurs. I think this will be a really tough game for us as we have seemed to really struggle against the Spurs the last couple of years.

It could be interesting to see Gerrard, Carroll, and Suarez get to play at the same time. Has that even happened yet?
Old 02-18-2012, 05:44 PM   #151
azzarish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Come on boys! Big performance tomorrow. We shouldn't take Brighton lightly as they play decent football under Poyet. Strong first 11 please and through to the quarter finals.

No Arsenal, United or City left in the competition.
azzarish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:51 PM   #152
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm looking forward to this one, hopefully it's a great Sunday morning.

I'm guessing we'll have plenty of the old guard starting, since Kenny said it would be an audition for guys to start the Carling Cup final.
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:53 AM   #153
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Its impressive how terrible Charlie Adam is. He is a half-step late on every challenge and gives the ball away constantly. I hope Kenny gives him a couple of games off and lets Hendo slide into the middle.

What an ugly game that was, I don't think we created a single decent chance. Hopes of top four are long gone, time to see some of the younger guys get some time on the pitch.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:33 AM   #154
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

This team is going to finish lower than last year, and even the most jaded fan must see an axe over Kenny's head. Hes made some pretty questionable team selections and every purchase from the summer barring Suarez (somewhat) has failed.

Just when things look to get better, they get worse.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:54 AM   #155
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
This team is going to finish lower than last year, and even the most jaded fan must see an axe over Kenny's head. Hes made some pretty questionable team selections and every purchase from the summer barring Suarez (somewhat) has failed.

Just when things look to get better, they get worse.
Ya, FSG can't be too happy with the lack of improvement after all the purchases. I'm usually one for continuity and longevity of coaches/managers, but I could see a switch being made in this case. Especially after all the bad PR we have gotten this year due to Kenny and Suarez.

FSG were rumored to be hesitant to put Kenny in charge in the first place because they feared this exact situation. They didn't want to have to fire a manager who was idolized by so many fans. It won't be an easy situation to deal with.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:04 PM   #156
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is going to be a big problem because of what Kenny means to the club, and maybe he isnt the problem, but he sure doesnt seem to be the solution.

He got a lot out of very little last season, but now it just isnt working. Maybe because the collection of players we have dont fit into the style hes trying to advocate, but no matter where you look money was spent and it was spent unwisely.

As much as I dislike scapegoating though, I do feel that the success of any elite team is directly linked to the quality of their central midfield. There has to be creative playmaking and ball moving ability in the midfield and Liverpool simply dont have it.

Stevie shows flashes every now and again, and playmaking isnt Adam's strong suit, Hendo should get a chance in there, but you can see that its a glaring weakness in the side.

The other thing is the obvious need for a striker who is going to score. It almost feels like everyone is trying to do too much and no one is doing the one thing that needs to be done. You need a selfish goalscorer who is going to say 'to hell with the rest of you, I'm putting the ball in the net.' See; Robin van Persie or Mario Gomez, that style of up front striking.

Suarez is good, but he plays off that guy as opposed to being that guy himself and I think thats what people were expecting of Carroll, but it hasnt materialized.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:15 PM   #157
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I completely agree about the CM position. That really has to be our main focus in the next window. We just haven't had any quality there since selling Alonso.

The problem is that we really need 3 top new players. One CM, a RW and a Striker. Hopefully some of our youth will come through soon and fill some of those spots (Sterling, Suso, Shelvey).
Old 03-10-2012, 12:28 PM   #158
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
I completely agree about the CM position. That really has to be our main focus in the next window. We just haven't had any quality there since selling Alonso.

The problem is that we really need 3 top new players. One CM, a RW and a Striker. Hopefully some of our youth will come through soon and fill some of those spots (Sterling, Suso, Shelvey).
I dont see anyone coming up the pipe for the CM or striker position, I think they're going to have to buy one, and my opinion is that they should stay away from Brits.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:56 PM   #159
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just saw this on twitter, had to laugh:

TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TopChed For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2012, 09:43 AM   #160
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I thought I should switch some of our specific Liverpool talk back to this thread. I came across a link to this page in a Liverpool forum and I thought I should share. It has a lot of interesting points, and one part about Carroll that was particularly interesting.

http://tomkinstimes.com/2012/03/in-d...ol-struggling/

Quote:
Liverpool (All Comps): P40 Win%=50, Points Per Game = 1.78

Carroll starts: P22 W13 D5 L4, Win%=59, Points Per Game = 2.00

Carroll doesn’t start: P18 W7 D6 L5, Win%=39, Points Per Game = 1.50

In terms of ‘difficulty’:

Carroll starts vs Teams higher in PL than Liverpool (All Comps v Arsenal, Chelsea, City, United, Newcastle, Spurs)
P8 W5 D1 L2, Win%=63, Points Per Game = 2.00

Carroll starts vs “the rest”
P14 W8 D4 L2, Win%=57, Points Per Game = 2.00

No Carroll start vs Teams higher
P6 W1 D3 L2, Win%=17, Points Per Game = 1.00

No Carroll start vs “the rest”
P12 W6 D3 L3, Win%=50, Points Per Game = 1.75

I think this is fascinating. Not only are the team’s results significantly better when Carroll plays, but the results with Carroll are exactly the same (2 points per game), whether versus “hard” or “easy” teams!
It appears that Carroll is having more of a positive effect then we give him credit for.

Tags
anfield , gerrard , ynwa