Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-30-2012, 02:08 PM   #201
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

The first page of the thread in this link has a really great collection of articles about Rodgers' background, tactics, man-management skills and so on. I was going to try to put a few things together that I had read, but this is significantly better then anything I could have come up with. It is well worth the read if you can spare some time.

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/...topic=294162.0
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:44 PM   #202
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zziG86Xus_g

He has such David Silva-esque movement about him sometimes. I hope he gets a shot in the first team this year, although he might not quite be ready. I could see him and Sterling getting a few Carling Cup or Europa League starts next season.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:46 AM   #203
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kuyt is gone.

Quote:
Fenerbahce have announced on their official website that Dirk Kuyt has left Liverpool to sign a three-year deal with the Turkish club.
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...apture?cc=5901

I always liked him and hope he does really well in Turkey.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #204
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I never understood why Kenny didn't use him more
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2012, 11:31 AM   #205
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
I never understood why Kenny didn't use him more
Total mystery to me, hes always been a very capable player. I'm surprised hes going to Turkey though, thats retirement.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 06-03-2012, 04:59 PM   #206
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Old 06-05-2012, 10:55 AM   #207
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alright! Dirk Kuyt went to Fenerbahce, but have no fear, the cavalry is here!

Quote:
Lille boss Rudi Garcia has confirmed Joe Cole is to return to Liverpool.
Quote:
Rodgers had also revealed at the weekend that Alberto Aquilani, who has spent the season on loan at AC Milan, may yet have a future at Anfield.
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...erpool?cc=5901

Yeah......

Also: Is This How Liverpool Will Play? A look at Brendan Rodgers' playing philosophy.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/lates...ill-play-video

In my view; boring as all hell.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:23 PM   #208
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I enjoy possession football. I really don't think it will be boring as it will be much more attacking then it was at Swansea. Its a much smarter way to play then just hoofing it up to Carroll.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:02 PM   #209
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Possession play is highly overrated. Right now Spain/Barcelona are the most boring team in the world. Sure, they have the ball a lot, but if Messi/Villa doesnt score they tend to lose. Look at the team that won the Champions' League this year, they did it with hardly any possession at all.

I'm not saying thats the way to go, but too much is made of possession.

One of the biggest issues Liverpool faced this year was clinical finishing, in no way would possession play help that. All it would lead to is more 0-0 draws.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:18 PM   #210
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yeah, Liverpool already had plenty of possession this season with little to show for it. The positive that I hope to see coming from Brendan Rodgers is what Big Chill mentioned, playing the ball in a more controlled manner when we attack. Playing the long ball up to Carroll should be the last resort play, not option A imo. With Rodgers, I think players will have a much better idea of how to set up in attack. Especially with all the staff he's brought from Swansea. It looks like preparing for each opponent individually is a huge part of Rodgers' tactical approach.
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:29 PM   #211
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopChed View Post
Yeah, Liverpool already had plenty of possession this season with little to show for it. The positive that I hope to see coming from Brendan Rodgers is what Big Chill mentioned, playing the ball in a more controlled manner when we attack. Playing the long ball up to Carroll should be the last resort play, not option A imo. With Rodgers, I think players will have a much better idea of how to set up in attack. Especially with all the staff he's brought from Swansea. It looks like preparing for each opponent individually is a huge part of Rodgers' tactical approach.
Exactly. We looked lost way too many times under Kenny. I really think Rodgers has a clear approach to the game and will have the players knowing what exactly their roles are out there. And as Locke said, none of this matters if someone can't put the ball in the net.

I'm sure we will be bringing in a striker this summer window, as I think Rodgers will have Suarez starting on the wing like Sinclair or Dyer did for him last season. I also think that is the best position for Suarez as it allows him to cut in and attack the box.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:25 PM   #212
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Steve Clarke has left the club.

Quote:
Steve Clarke's departure from Liverpool has been confirmed.

He had offered his resignation following Dalglish's sacking at the end of the season but the club declined to accept.
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...erpool?cc=5901

Old 06-06-2012, 11:10 PM   #213
Nuje
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopChed View Post
Very much agreed on the hoofing it to Carroll. How many times were Liverpool playing fine with trouble finishing, only to have Carroll come on, and simultaneously have the entire team to switch to automatic "hoof it to Carroll mode"?....Ok, not THAT often, but that was more a function of how often Carroll got subbed on.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:33 PM   #214
Montana Moe
First Line Centre

Exp:

I haven't seen this posted, but Fox Soccer Channel here in the U.S. is promoting it pretty heavily: Our Liverpool: Never Walk Alone

Quote:
The club have partnered with the Fox Soccer channel in the USA and will begin collecting footage in May to coincide with the club's participation in the FA Cup final.
Filming will continue during the club's North American tour in July and carry on for the first few games of the 2012-13 season.
Quote:
"This is going to be a truly remarkable series for every football fan on earth, watching the inner workings of one of the world's truly great clubs, and seeing things no one outside the inner sanctum has seen or experienced before," Fox Sports Media Group chairman and CEO David Hill said on the Liverpool website.
Though I'm not a Liverpool supporter, I am looking forward to seeing this.

Last edited by Montana Moe; 06-06-2012 at 11:46 PM.
Montana Moe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Montana Moe For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2012, 09:00 AM   #215
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

That is awesome!

Old 06-07-2012, 02:22 PM   #216
Jagger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

Also: Is This How Liverpool Will Play? A look at Brendan Rodgers' playing philosophy.

www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/is-this-how-lfc-will-play-video

In my view; boring as all hell.
Actually it harkens back to the way Liverpool played in the 80's and early 90's.

They always used a studied slow build up from the back. Hansen and Lawrenson/Gillespie would knock it around between them play it to Souness back to them, back to Souness etc.. Probing play then some measured pass and moves up the pitch via triangle play leading to the pass out to the wide man (Heighway, McDermott, Barnes etc.) Invariably this led to chances for Dalglish or Rush/Aldridge.

I wouldn't exactly call it boring as it led to some sustained attacking play and, just as importantly, didn't allow the opposition to attack as they rarely had the ball. Sure, Liverpool don't exactly have the horses today as they did then (Downing is certainly nowhere near a John Barnes) but with a few signings this could be a very effective strategy.

Personally, I take this as an incredibly positive move for the club which shows me that FSG have studied Liverpool's past and see it as the way forward as it were.

Tags
anfield , gerrard , ynwa