Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-29-2011, 10:31 AM   #1
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default The Official 11/12 Liverpool F.C. Thread

Time to start this one up.

A lot for Liverpool fans to be excited about, fewer matches as theres no Europe of any kind this season, but maybe that will allow Kenny to focus on the league. And its clear that this season's ultimate goal is a Champion's League berth.

At the moment the biggest issues surrounding this club is an almost 'City-like' glut of extraneous players and a ridiculous over-population amongst the midfield.

Further, of all the purchases made none were made to really strengthen the back 4. I dont discount someone in the likes of Jose Enrique being brought in, but theres no indication hes even on the radar. Now, there are options back there as Flannigan and Robinson showed us last season, as well as Kelly being fit and as I understand his natural position is CB so Kenny may not see that as a weakness.

There are also rumours floating around about Daniel Agger having been subjected to Super Soldier Serum therapy in order to endow him with the strength of a normal human, albeit a Danish one. It should be noted that these rumours are wholly unsubstantiated and more than likely a complete figment of a wild imagination.

Moving right along....

We're all realtively happy about the way the season went under Kenny after the atrocious start under Woy, so theres lots of optimism going into this season, but theres also a fair bit of mystery surrounding the squad.

Whats Kenny going to do with all those midfielders? What happens to Raul Meireles? Where do Adam and Henderson play? Is a CB or Wide player still on the cards? What are they going to do with all the extras like Joe Cole, Poulson and the rumours of Pacheco wanting out? What kind of opportunities are the kids who played well last season going to get?

Whatever the answers are, its certainly gearing up to be a fun season for Reds fans. I'm going into this season with a pretty hearty degree of optimism as opposed to last season's dreadful sense of impending doom.

And the best thing about this season? No more Hicks or Gillette. This Reds team is officially Cancer free.

YNWA!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2011, 12:44 PM   #2
Jagger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just a quickie reply.

Pumped for this season.

Would like some more defence for sure.

Happy with the purchases though. Adam is an awesome player, Henderson has huge potential, Downing is a really underrated winger as he's much more than that. Reds fans are going to really like him. He is going to create so much for Carroll.

And what can you say about Suarez? Awesome, awesome player. Liverpool got themselves a real gem there.

Kenny at the helm from the start as it should have been last season. That's exciting in itself.

Exciting times on Merseyside for sure.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:01 PM   #3
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I'm really excited for this season. The biggest concern right now is all the rumors flying around about Gerrard's health. Some say his injury could be career threatening, hence the influx of midfielders, and others say he will be fit in time for the start of the season.

I hope we can bring in Dann or Cahill before the start of the season.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 02:47 AM   #4
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

6th should be a good finish for Liverpool this year.

But like the Leafs and Canucks we will hear about how awesome they under Queen Kenny.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:53 AM   #5
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
I'm really excited for this season. The biggest concern right now is all the rumors flying around about Gerrard's health. Some say his injury could be career threatening, hence the influx of midfielders, and others say he will be fit in time for the start of the season.

I hope we can bring in Dann or Cahill before the start of the season.
Right after I go and say this, the club have made a statement that Stevie G will not be available until September.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:30 PM   #6
Nuje
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Can't wait for the season to start, two weeks to go. I really wonder if there will be another defender coming in. I definitely hope so. Sucks about Stevie too.

Not much to say at the moment I suppose except....start the season already!!!
Old 08-11-2011, 08:25 AM   #7
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Liverpool agree £6m fee for Newcastle United defender Jose Enrique

Liverpool will discuss personal terms with the Spaniard when he arrives on Merseyside for his medical at their Melwood training ground this afternoon.

Enrique, 25, will cost Liverpool in the region of £6million but will fill a position which they struggled with last season.

Providing there are no hitches to the move the defender will become Kenny Dalglish's fifth signing of the summer, following midfielders Stewart Downing, Charlie Adam and Jordan Henderson and back-up goalkeeper Alexander Doni to Anfield.

and...

Kenny Dalglish and Arsene Wenger are set to go head-to-head over the signing of Birmingham’s Scott Dann.
Liverpool have identified Dann as the long term successor to Kop legend Jamie Carragher and the Reds are thought to be the 24-year-olds preferred option as he's a life-long Liverpool fan.
The Brum defender is rated at around £8million and is expected to leave St Andrews following the clubs relegation to the Championship.

Last edited by Cheese; 08-11-2011 at 08:33 AM.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:02 AM   #8
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

When did you become a Liverpool fan?

The Jose Enrique signing was the worst kept secret in the league, but I think it strengthens the squad right where they need it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 08-11-2011, 09:22 AM   #9
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
When did you become a Liverpool fan?

The Jose Enrique signing was the worst kept secret in the league, but I think it strengthens the squad right where they need it.
LOL...youd be surprised. Ive been a Reds fan since about ~1970. Im not as rabid as you guys, but have followed closely every year. Came aboard just before Paisley took over the helm...about a year or two of Shankly?

Last edited by Cheese; 08-11-2011 at 09:26 AM.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:10 PM   #10
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I think Enrique is a good signing for the price. We should finally have some answers for the LB position. Now it sounds like we may get Cahill as our last signing for this window. If we can get him it will have been a great window for us, with the majority of our weaknesses addressed.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:10 PM   #11
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would have gone for Pieters (who is rumored to be his replacement for the toon) rather than Enqirue
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 04:06 PM   #12
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 08-11-2011, 04:12 PM   #13
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
I would have gone for Pieters (who is rumored to be his replacement for the toon) rather than Enqirue
Seriously? I watch Pieters a fair bit with Holland and I've found him entirely unimpressive.

I'm more than happy with LFC signing Enrique and leaving Pieters to Newcastle.
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 04:24 PM   #14
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

He hasn't been great internationally but I think he will adapt really well to the quick english game

Where does Glen Johnson play now? (assuming Kelly is the first choice RB which he should be)
Old 08-11-2011, 04:47 PM   #15
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
He hasn't been great internationally but I think he will adapt really well to the quick english game

Where does Glen Johnson play now? (assuming Kelly is the first choice RB which he should be)
Johnson had been playing either RB or LB, depending who was healthy. It'll be interesting to see who starts at those positions when everyone is fit. It seems Johnson/Kelly will battle for RB, and Enrique/Aurelio for LB. Insua is another wild card for LB.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:27 AM   #16
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I disagree, hes the replacement for the Toon because hes inexpensive and hes inexpensive for a reason.

I like the Enrique signing because he has both flair and stability and Jack Robinson is behind him for when Aurelio is hurt. It really does give the team some good depth.

Quote:
He hasn't been geat internationally but I think he will adapt really well to the quick english game

And Johnson will likely go back to RB, he was a sensation in the second half of the season after being an unbelievable disaster in the first half.

Also, Kelly's primary position is CB, and that will be good to have him available for when Agger is hurt (which is always). So a CB rotation of Carra, Skrtel, Agger and Kelly, unless eitehr Dann or Cahill are signed.

And personally, I'd prefer Cahill. But Kelly was very good and very versatile.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:13 AM   #17
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Suarez misses a penalty but comes back with his first goal of the season on a Adam free kick! 1-0!
Old 08-13-2011, 05:19 PM   #18
Nuje
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

aaand some failed marking by Flanagan resulting in a disappointing draw. Wicked shot by Downing off the crossbar, offside goal by Carroll, and that missed penalty. Can't be doing that again. Not to mention the entire second half was a giant WTF. GREAT first half though, and if the Reds can play anywhere near that all season, it will be good.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:29 PM   #19
Mightyfire89
And I Don't Care...

Exp:

Adam looked like the real deal, unfortunately, Carroll did not. How many opportunities did he completely screw up? Hoping for better things to come from him.

I thought Enrique looked good and Downing as well.

The second half...what...the...hell?

That Larsson goal was superb though.

Could have easily been 3-1, 4-1 Liverpool, oh well. Looking forward to a huge season.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:07 PM   #20
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Loved what I saw from Downing, Enrique and Suarez in the first half especially. Hopefully they'll get it together and put some of these games out of reach early when they dominate like that. Next week should be a good one at the Emirates.

Tags
anfield , gerrard , ynwa