Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-19-2017, 04:53 PM   #21
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:
Flames

I have a good feeling about Parsons. The best goalies are always a bit strange. By all accounts, Parsons fits the strange dude goalie mold.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:54 PM   #22
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameZilla View Post
McDonald is a highly regarded 20-year-old goalie. You can't write off a goalie prospect until they're at least 25.

What is bad news for him is that Parsons and probably Rittich as well have leapfrogged him in the depth chart. I think Mason might be looking at a couple more years in the ECHL...

Parsons seems to be incredibly highly-regarded by pundits like Button etc. Does he jump straight to the top of the pile of goalie prospects? Where the hell does he play?!

I would normally say this is a good problem to have, but since all these players are old enough to play professionally we kind of need them, all of them, to log huge minutes so they can develop thoroughly. Going to be tough to accommodate them all.

THN has Parsons as the Flame's top prospect, with Gillies second. As a side note they have former Flame's prospect Laurent Broissoit as the Oiler's top G prospect and figure he's ready to make the jump. That's how long it takes goalies to ripen.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 04:54 PM   #23
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
I have a good feeling about Parsons. The best goalies are always a bit strange. By all accounts, Parsons fits the strange dude goalie mold.
All goalies are strange.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2017, 05:10 PM   #24
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Weird time to sign a Juniour player isn't it ? Is it acting as some sort of reward for his good play ? Letting him go into playoffs on a high note?
Monahan For Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:19 PM   #25
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan For Mayor View Post
Weird time to sign a Juniour player isn't it ? Is it acting as some sort of reward for his good play ? Letting him go into playoffs on a high note?
If he is ready to sign, why not. Especially if they are not burning a year of his ELC this year. If he has a strong playoff, you never know who may try and change his mind, better to have him inked.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:27 PM   #26
JerryUnderscore
Scoring Winger

Exp:

In the absence of some advanced stats that can start predicting early and often how well a goalie will do (which would be a magic bullet), the best strategy is really just to draft as many goalies as possible. Throw everything against the wall and see what sticks.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:45 PM   #27
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Thanks. Just wanted to make sure.

Fine with both these signings. Was just wondering if there was still room for a college/junior free agent signing. Not that it was important to do so.
Don't think it really makes a lot of difference, can't really think of one college/junior free agent so far this season where the team signs them to a contract this year. Most if not all have contracts that start next season. Also since we are past the trade deadline, any free agent signing now would be ineligible for the playoffs.

Maybe Vechionne is the only one out there that might warrant a contract for this season, but it sounds like he is staying East if he gets the choice.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:57 PM   #28
flamesrule14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Goalies are so tough to predict, but always nice to have a bunch of goalies and hopefully one hits. I really liked Parsons both in Penticton and in the World Jrs. Between Parsons and Gillies I feel good that at least one will hopefully be our goalie of the future. Can't discount Rittich either as he's been surprisingly better then I thought he would.
flamesrule14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:55 PM   #29
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

So many goalies.

Will be interesting to see how they juggle them all.

You have to think McCollum will be loaned out again, and you would assume Parsons is going to turn pro with this signing today.

Rittich has had a good year and you have to think he will be back in some manner. Not sure what else he could have done this year to warrant another contract. Really solid AHL numbers.

Gillies will most certainly be back tending the Heat net barring a trade of some sort.

Schneider has had a disaster year where he lost his WHL net despite the Tigers being the 2nd best team in the league. Flames used the loophole to sign this guy, you have to wonder if they'd like to take a Mulligan on that one. He turns 20 this summer too, so you would think he'd be turning pro.

So really, of all these guys eligible for minor pro next year none of them look ready to take one of the currently open NHL spots, save for maybe Rittich who could be a back up at best.

1. Rittich (RFA)
2. Gillies (RFA)
3. McCollum (Signed)
4. McDonald (Signed)
5. Parsons (Signed)
6. Schneider (Signed)

Assuming Rittich and Gillies are re-signed, 6 contracts used up on goalies and we don't currently have legit NHL goalie signed for next season yet. That's a lot of mud being chucked at the wall, hopefully some of it sticks for once.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:03 PM   #30
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
John Deere cap and an arm full of tattoos. Interesting cat.
Quote:
Is the "by all accounts" referring to yourself when you made the observation that a tat and John Deere hat made him a different cat?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:06 PM   #31
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Is the "by all accounts" referring to yourself when you made the observation that a tat and John Deere hat made him a different cat?
Largely separate thoughts, but an atypical look for a hockey player. Have heard a few interviews about how his tendencies are a little different.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:15 PM   #32
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I like his neck tattoo. Shows that he is confident he will become a millionaire professional athlete with no need for a traditional career path.
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to sun For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2017, 07:16 PM   #33
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

He also retweets Trump, has a neck tattoo, and likes American Sniper. Sounds like Tim Thomas a bit.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:19 PM   #34
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

My favorite goalie prospect along with Rittich.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:20 PM   #35
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
THN has Parsons as the Flame's top prospect, with Gillies second. As a side note they have former Flame's prospect Laurent Broissoit as the Oiler's top G prospect and figure he's ready to make the jump. That's how long it takes goalies to ripen.
Is he not their backup right now?
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:24 PM   #36
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
Is he not their backup right now?

Indeed. I should go back and read the article again to see what they were talking about
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:47 PM   #37
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameZilla View Post
McDonald is a highly regarded 20-year-old goalie.
Out of curiosity... by who?

I haven't seen anything within the last couple years that suggests anyone outside of the Flames organization is overly hopeful or impressed by his development since he was drafted.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:56 PM   #38
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Please be a #1 goalie by 2020-21.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:31 PM   #39
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watch the kid quite a bit and he's good. Cut the Trump crap though. I don't care about politics, but Trump support goes beyond politics.

Anyways, a really good patch of mud for the wall.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:11 PM   #40
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
As a side note they have former Flame's prospect Laurent Broissoit as the Oiler's top G prospect and figure he's ready to make the jump. That's how long it takes goalies to ripen.
Hopefully he is playing for Vegas next season.
Assuming he is eligible that is.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote