Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-24-2012, 09:18 AM   #181
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I read a lot on some of the Liverpool fan forums, and there are a few posters who claim to have inside info who are saying 2 things:

1) Liverpool will soon announce that they plan to stay at Anfield by redeveloping the stadium and the surrounding area, and

2) Dalglish will be stepping down from his position, but will likely stay on with the club in another role.

Obviously this is far from being official, but a few people seem to agree that these things will both happen.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Big Chill For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2012, 02:45 PM   #182
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its official...TFC to host Liverpool July 21st at the Dome.

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=394091
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:16 PM   #183
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
I read a lot on some of the Liverpool fan forums, and there are a few posters who claim to have inside info who are saying 2 things:

1) Liverpool will soon announce that they plan to stay at Anfield by redeveloping the stadium and the surrounding area, and

2) Dalglish will be stepping down from his position, but will likely stay on with the club in another role.

Obviously this is far from being official, but a few people seem to agree that these things will both happen.
I think both of these would be great for the club. It may just be for selfish reasons (since I still haven't been to Anfield), but I would really like to see them keep the old ground. I think English football still has a lot of magic in some of their old stadiums, and it's a shame to think of clubs replacing them for bowls like the Emirates.
And on Dalglish, I think every LFC supporter can appreciate what he has done as a custodian, but it does seem like the time to pass the torch. I just hope his replacement is somebody with a vision the team can get behind, and a reputation the players respect.
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:18 PM   #184
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopChed View Post
I think both of these would be great for the club. It may just be for selfish reasons (since I still haven't been to Anfield), but I would really like to see them keep the old ground. I think English football still has a lot of magic in some of their old stadiums, and it's a shame to think of clubs replacing them for bowls like the Emirates.
And on Dalglish, I think every LFC supporter can appreciate what he has done as a custodian, but it does seem like the time to pass the torch. I just hope his replacement is somebody with a vision the team can get behind, and a reputation the players respect.
I would definitely like to see them keep Anfield too. I've been there on a stadium tour but never seen a game. Hopefully in the next couple of years I'll make it out to one. The surrounding area is an absolute disaster zone though, and a lot of work would have to go into it to make it respectable.

When I was in Liverpool last year, I tried to buy tickets to a sold out game outside the stadium, with the plan that if I couldn't get them I would just go watch it in a pub near the stadium. We weren't even able to watch it in a pub though, as the only 2 pubs we could find within walking distance were complete dives. The one didn't even have the game on at all since their TVs were broken, and the other had one little tiny TV with the game on that we couldn't even see because there were so many people surrounding it. It made me appreciate how easy it is to watch the Flames play in this city since you are never more then 5 minutes away from a pub with multiple HD widescreen TVs.

Its a tough call for what to do with Kenny. The first half of the season we looked pretty good, and all we really lacked was a goal scorer. If I knew we could play at the level for a whole season, I would be ok with seeing Kenny in charge with an extra striker brought in this summer and Lucas returning to the lineup.

On the other hand, the second half of this season has been downright ugly. We have been wildly inconsistent, have been in the press for negative reasons, and still can't score goals.

I wouldn't want to see Kenny ousted just for the sake of change, but if FSG has a manager in mind that they think could be a long-term solution then I would be perfectly happy with the move.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:23 PM   #185
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I am on board for both of these.

I've said it before but I want them to keep Anfield for the history of it and so that it gives me a chance to scratch seeing a game there off my bucket list.

I think Kenny's got to get a desk job. This season has been an unqualified disaster. Clean the staff room and bring in someone with some vision to set this team back on track.

I hear Pep's got some free time..... completely joking.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:00 PM   #186
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I would definitely like to see them keep Anfield too. I've been there on a stadium tour but never seen a game. Hopefully in the next couple of years I'll make it out to one. The surrounding area is an absolute disaster zone though, and a lot of work would have to go into it to make it respectable.

When I was in Liverpool last year, I tried to buy tickets to a sold out game outside the stadium, with the plan that if I couldn't get them I would just go watch it in a pub near the stadium. We weren't even able to watch it in a pub though, as the only 2 pubs we could find within walking distance were complete dives. The one didn't even have the game on at all since their TVs were broken, and the other had one little tiny TV with the game on that we couldn't even see because there were so many people surrounding it. It made me appreciate how easy it is to watch the Flames play in this city since you are never more then 5 minutes away from a pub with multiple HD widescreen TVs.

Its a tough call for what to do with Kenny. The first half of the season we looked pretty good, and all we really lacked was a goal scorer. If I knew we could play at the level for a whole season, I would be ok with seeing Kenny in charge with an extra striker brought in this summer and Lucas returning to the lineup.

On the other hand, the second half of this season has been downright ugly. We have been wildly inconsistent, have been in the press for negative reasons, and still can't score goals.

I wouldn't want to see Kenny ousted just for the sake of change, but if FSG has a manager in mind that they think could be a long-term solution then I would be perfectly happy with the move.
Love Google Maps for this type of thing...

NSFW!

NSFW!

NSFW!
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2012, 02:15 PM   #187
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
Love Google Maps for this type of thing...

NSFW!

NSFW!

NSFW!
And thats not even the worst of it. There is a whole street of abandoned, boarded up houses right beside/behind the stadium. The stadium itself was pretty awesome though.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:36 PM   #188
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Suarez!
Old 05-06-2012, 02:11 PM   #189
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Long, but very interesting read.

Spoiler!

I really agree with the last section about Kenny's tactics.

Last edited by The Big Chill; 05-06-2012 at 02:14 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Big Chill For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2012, 12:55 PM   #190
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don't really want to rehash the whole Luis Suarez incident from earlier this year, but I just read an interesting article on ESPN about Messi and Royston Drenthe, now playing at Everton.

Quote:
"We played against each other a lot, and we always had problems," he told Dutch magazine Helden. "You know what really bothers me? That tone with which he always called me 'negro, negro'."

As was widely discussed in the wake of the recent accusations against Liverpool's Luis Suarez, the term "negro" does not necessarily carry negative connotations in South American countries, but Drenthe feels such words are offensive.

"I understand that it is very common in South America, but we cannot stand it," he added. "Mahamadou Diarra, my team-mate at Real, would become furious when Gabriel Heinze and Gonzalo Higuain initially called him 'negro', but they soon stopped.
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...o'?cc=5901

I really feel like that whole incident exploded into something massive for Suarez that never needed to be. I doubt that Messi will face an 8 match ban.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #191
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:20 PM   #192
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I don't mind them, but I prefer the ones without collars. It looks better when you can see the whole kit IMO

Old 05-10-2012, 05:23 PM   #193
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think it's awesome. I love the collar, and the vintage look. So much better than the shiny, 3 striped, run of the mill Adidas kits that we were used to. It's just too bad we have to wait another month for the away now.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:18 PM   #194
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

After spending (too much) time reading forums and other rumor sites, and despite the fact that Roberto Martinez seems to be the front runner right now, I am going to guess that Brendan Rodgers will be the next manager of LFC, and Loius van Gaal is going to be the director of football or some sort of similar title.

I've read a fair bit on Rodgers and I really like how he gets his players playing and how he handles himself.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:33 AM   #195
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

My prediction may actually end up being pretty close to correct! It is not official yet, but:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18235961

Quote:
THE ANFIELD WRAP ‏@TheAnfieldWrap
Brendan Rodgers, Three Year Deal, Done.
Quote:
Liam Tomkins ‏@liam_tomkins
Manager: Brendan Rodgers. Sporting Director: Louis van Gaal. Technical Director: Pep Segura. #LFC
Quote:
BBC Sport ‏@BBCSport
Brendan Rodgers has signed a three-year contract to become the new manager of Liverpool Football Club, confirms @BenSmithBBC
Old 05-30-2012, 10:11 AM   #196
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yeah, looks like you nailed it.

I was really warming up to Martinez when it seemed like he was the frontrunner, but Rodgers is probably the better pick. The slate is clean, and now I hope he has a good summer.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:03 AM   #197
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's a good move if the fans give him time

If FSG are bringing him in to implement his system it's going to take time and very likely some new players
Old 05-30-2012, 11:12 AM   #198
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Phil McNulty ‏@philmcnulty
Interesting to see Daily Telegraph's well-connected Chris Bascombe saying chances of Van Gaal joining Liverpool have receded significantly.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:18 AM   #199
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
Phil McNulty ‏@philmcnulty
Interesting to see Daily Telegraph's well-connected Chris Bascombe saying chances of Van Gaal joining Liverpool have receded significantly.
I've seen that in a couple of places too. Rodgers seems to be nailed on, but the rest of the staffing picture is still fairly murky at this point.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:38 AM   #200
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Louis van Gaal is notoriously arrogant. You can bet he wanted to be the big Chief or nothing.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anfield , gerrard , ynwa