Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2017, 06:37 AM   #281
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
The morbid part of me likes this result because it means that Trudeau might actually have to do his job on pipelines and tell BC to stfu.

Someone's going to have to take a popularity hit, whether it's Trudeau, or the BC NDP/Greens on this file. There isn't any way to scapegoat Notley on it anymore.
I guess the pipelines are dead then. Trudeau is spineless and won't step up to the plate.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 06:39 AM   #282
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I guess the pipelines are dead then. Trudeau is spineless and won't step up to the plate.
I'm concerned that this is indeed the case... he'll simply pass the buck. Something like, "We approved them, it's hardly our fault if local interests are preventing them from being constructed. We've done our part."
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2017, 07:25 AM   #283
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
Didn't Notley putting a price on carbon would get pipelines built?
Jason Kenney was teeing off on this yesterday on Twitter. He was expressing mock bewilderment at how Notley's social license could be so worthless.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:57 AM   #284
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

To Trudeau's credit, he came out in Italy yesterday

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/trude...-b-c-1.3435162

Quote:
The decision we took on the Trans Mountain pipeline was based on facts and evidence on what is in the best interests of Canadians and indeed, all of Canada," Trudeau said Tuesday in Rome, where he held a joint news conference with Italian Prime Minister Paolo Gentiloni. "Regardless of the change in government in British Columbia or anywhere, the facts and evidence do not change," he said.
Was it a strong statement? Absolutely not, however I'm not sure what he could have said at this point. The first shot in this jurisdictional war is going to have to be fired by BC after the Liberal Minority falls.

I mean some of us would have hoped that Trudeau would have said "Provinces have no say in the transportation of provincial goods across the country, so stay out of my lettuce patch, if you smell what the Just is cooking"

But he doesn't know if Kinder Morgan is going to be challenged, though its likely if we do see a NDP Green coalition government that they'll run off to file in court faster then you and I can say "Beachwatch is a bad movie"

However where it gets difficult is that no matter what Justin does if he takes action he's going to lose voter share. Side with BC and he writes Alberta off and probably Saskatchewan off as well. Side with the Pipelines and he loses BC and he also loses the environmental yogurt eaters.

But if he does nothing and pushes this issue past 2019, its probably the smart political move for him.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:13 AM   #285
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Actually, I'd say that is about as strong as Trudeau's statements get.
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2017, 08:29 AM   #286
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
To Trudeau's credit, he came out in Italy yesterday

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/trude...-b-c-1.3435162

Was it a strong statement? Absolutely not, however I'm not sure what he could have said at this point. The first shot in this jurisdictional war is going to have to be fired by BC after the Liberal Minority falls.

I mean some of us would have hoped that Trudeau would have said "Provinces have no say in the transportation of provincial goods across the country, so stay out of my lettuce patch, if you smell what the Just is cooking"

But he doesn't know if Kinder Morgan is going to be challenged, though its likely if we do see a NDP Green coalition government that they'll run off to file in court faster then you and I can say "Beachwatch is a bad movie"

However where it gets difficult is that no matter what Justin does if he takes action he's going to lose voter share. Side with BC and he writes Alberta off and probably Saskatchewan off as well. Side with the Pipelines and he loses BC and he also loses the environmental yogurt eaters.

But if he does nothing and pushes this issue past 2019, its probably the smart political move for him.
There's politics and then there is doing what's good for the country, and sometimes those are mutually exclusive. A good leader does what is right for the country. That may be naive but it is what Canada needs right now. Weak leadership on this issue in Harper caused this problem.

Does anyone think the Canadian Pacific Railway would have been built if all anybody cared about was political implications and NIMBYism?

This is still bad given BC has jurisdiction over intraprovincial pipelines and development.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2017, 08:41 AM   #287
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
There's politics and then there is doing what's good for the country, and sometimes those are mutually exclusive. A good leader does what is right for the country. That may be naive but it is what Canada needs right now. Weak leadership on this issue in Harper caused this problem.

Does anyone think the Canadian Pacific Railway would have been built if all anybody cared about was political implications and NIMBYism?

This is still bad given BC has jurisdiction over intraprovincial pipelines and development.
No, there's no chance the railway would get built today. People would protest about the half dozen grizzlies that get killed per year and about native groups not being "consulted" enough. It's a joke, this country is a joke, a nation of boy scouts obsessed with being nice and liked while the entire world eats our lunch. Where do people think wealth comes from? All the hipster losers/career students in Vancouver and Victoria, where do you think money comes from that allows this country to support such a tremendous standard of living?
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2017, 10:38 AM   #288
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

dude chillimax, once Maty jo Wanna legalization goes through, BC Will totally become an economic powerhouse, and none of us will have to work again, what with the automated blunt roller, sin taxes and the totally awesome Pizza Pizza ap.

We won't need any oil dude, except for like Hash Oiler.

We'll become the land of milk and honey and twinkies.

Totally reaganomics dude.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 10:50 AM   #289
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
Where do people think wealth comes from? All the hipster losers/career students in Vancouver and Victoria, where do you think money comes from that allows this country to support such a tremendous standard of living?
http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tabl...dps04a-eng.htm

troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2017, 11:01 AM   #290
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

She's not much of a leader, but Notley can sure fire off a zinger when she wants...

https://twitter.com/markusoff/status/869590789537415168

Quote:
Notley on pipelines: BC economy can’t grow on housing prices alone. #ableg #bcpoli
Old 05-30-2017, 08:20 PM   #291
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Other than the Kinder Morgan business, most of this sounds pretty reasonable. That said, I'll wait until the actual budget is released.

Looks like they maybe learned from watching the Alberta NDP and will be going with a more gradual approach to increasing the minimum wage instead of all at once.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3490544/hi...y-deal-in-b-c/
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:49 PM   #292
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Oh good, our country isn't floated by Oil. It is floated by a real estate bubble, financing and insurance on the bubble.

Yup I can see why Justin isn't worried at all about economic diversity. Were one 2007 away from a massive economic contraction.

Well at least some Euros will kinda think were cool. With our niceness and carbon tax and all.

OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 10:49 PM   #293
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Going to be interesting to watch the next year.... I think NB has a one seat majority that has lasted 3 years so I think it could hold up, but expect the greens and ndp to start squabbling over something after a year and a half or so.

Interesting that the only con left in power anywhere nationally or provincially is now Brad Wall who seems to be fading in popularity himself. Although Ontario looks like it will be a genuine fight and Alberta will flip back.

Personally I think if they ever want to be more than a brief placeholder govt that conservative movements need to meaningfully distance themselves from the religious and social conservatives and emphasize the fiscal restraint, not just pretend the viewpoints being widespread in their parties doesn't matter because they don't talk about them. Canadian society is moving further and further away from people dictating social rules being palatable.

Not an issue in bc where the bc liberals are not socially conservative at all i guess but the liberal win in NS tonight made me reflect on the sorry state of the right wing in canada.

Edit... Forgot Brian Pallister in MB

Last edited by Matty81; 05-30-2017 at 11:18 PM.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matty81 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2017, 06:28 AM   #294
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
Going to be interesting to watch the next year.... I think NB has a one seat majority that has lasted 3 years so I think it could hold up, but expect the greens and ndp to start squabbling over something after a year and a half or so.

Not an issue in bc where the bc liberals are not socially conservative at all i guess but the liberal win in NS tonight made me reflect on the sorry state of the right wing in canada.
The Liberals in NB currently have 26 of 49 seats, the Tories with 22, and the Greens with 1 seat. It was 27-21-1 for the Liberals in the last election, but, the Tories won a seat in a by-election.

The NS election is a close one with 27 of 51 seats for the Liberals, 17 for the Tories, and 7 for the NDP. There will be recounts.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:16 AM   #295
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Harper would have just rolled over like he did on Northern Gateway.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:03 AM   #296
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post

Interesting that the only con left in power anywhere nationally or provincially is now Brad Wall who seems to be fading in popularity himself. Although Ontario looks like it will be a genuine fight and Alberta will flip back.

Personally I think if they ever want to be more than a brief placeholder govt that conservative movements need to meaningfully distance themselves from the religious and social conservatives and emphasize the fiscal restraint, not just pretend the viewpoints being widespread in their parties doesn't matter because they don't talk about them. Canadian society is moving further and further away from people dictating social rules being palatable.

Edit... Forgot Brian Pallister in MB
Canada's brand of successful conservatism is dying an accelerating death.

I'm a pretty fiscally conservative guy, that's a big motivation for any vote, and I've had to hold my nose and vote for a variety of liberal and NDP candidates over the last decade because the socially conservative, non-evidence based policy platforms is such a huge turnoff as a voter.

Where are Canada's true fiscal conservatives? Supply management, end the useless drug war, lower corporate taxes and increase progressive tax brackets, cool the housing bubble, reform lending practices, etc.

Where is the guy or gal willing to adopt any number of social positions if it means maximizing tax dollars and revenue?
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2017, 09:11 AM   #297
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do think it's funny that federal CPC supporters quit telling more left-wing voters to stop bringing up the social elements, because they're "not election issues." Know what the easiest way to get us to stop bringing them up is? Stop having nominating social dinosaurs as your candidates and leaders.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:24 AM   #298
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Erm, who is actually saying that, Rube?
Old 05-31-2017, 10:12 AM   #299
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

This will be an interesting dynamic to watch from a parliamentary perspective, with a single disaffected NDP or Green MLA having the power to bring down the government.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 11:34 AM   #300
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Erm, who is actually saying that, Rube?
Sorry, was typing that from my phone this morning and re-reading it, it doesn't make a whole bunch of sense. Basically what I was trying to say is that the left gets accused of fear mongering when bringing up the social conservative views of someone like Scheer or Harper. An easy way to fix that would be to stop nominating people with those views.