Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2017, 02:37 PM   #41
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Other sites must be a lot more user-friendly than TSN. Try to watch a simple, short Flames highlight recap on there, it does a full commercial, then usually freezes and stalls trying to load the clip to the point I have to reload it. So I reload the screen, get forced to watch the same commercial again, finally the clip plays.. in choppy form. Then the next video auto-loads, back to the next commercial..

I can't imagine choosing to get my highlights only from TSN.ca over TSN on TV, I'd lose my mind.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 04:29 PM   #42
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Interesting....earlier today on twitter Jay corrected a fan that said he flew from LA to Toronto (he corrected him by saying he flew to Edmonton). Looks like that tweet has since been deleted
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 04:52 PM   #43
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

It was a weird scenario from the get go. I'm surprised and happy it was successful as it was.

Starting in the mid-2000's TSN's top ten and Jay and Dan on sportsnet often dominated youtube, so with that viral success Fox spots saw something there, but they put them on a pretty big stage in front of totally different people.

Americans aren't quite as a quirky as Canadians and don't appreciate that kind of goofy, 'always looking to make a joke' sports commentary like we do here. Many have spoken to this, but Americans prefer the loud, serious (bonus points for former players) personalities that scream "American sports are the most important issue in the world!!!".

They'll laugh at a few viral clips, but regardless of the media landscape shifting, I didn't think they would last too long down there on such a big stage.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2017, 04:55 PM   #44
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Interesting....earlier today on twitter Jay corrected a fan that said he flew from LA to Toronto (he corrected him by saying he flew to Edmonton). Looks like that tweet has since been deleted
He was in Athabasca on his instagram.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 05:36 PM   #45
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Starting in the mid-2000's TSN's top ten and Jay and Dan on sportsnet often dominated youtube, so with that viral success Fox spots saw something there, but they put them on a pretty big stage in front of totally different people.

Americans aren't quite as a quirky as Canadians and don't appreciate that kind of goofy, 'always looking to make a joke' sports commentary like we do here. Many have spoken to this, but Americans prefer the loud, serious (bonus points for former players) personalities that scream "American sports are the most important issue in the world!!!"
Very true. I think another factor was at TSN, they were doing the late night slot when you've got the young crowd watching, at an hour when you can be a lot zanier. At FS1 they were on during primetime - for 3-4hrs, compared to their 1 at TSN - just a completely different animal and audience.

Even before they left Canada, there were lots of people up here who couldn't stand them either, usually types who wouldn't be up to watch when they're on anyway. I think they just appeal more to that late night slot and younger audience. (Though given that the college crowd that started following them over a decade ago are now older family men, I'm sure they could get away with a prime time slot now)

Last edited by Sainters7; 02-26-2017 at 05:41 PM.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:55 AM   #46
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I liked them as a team when they did Sportscenter at TSN but there has been a lot of changes in the media landscape, how we consume content , the prestige of being on the "desk" and other things.

I never watched them while they were on Fox but ESPN is a different beast in the sports world than anybody else. Sportsnet/TSN battle it out over ratings but both have desired properties in terms of Sports.

TSN: Regional Leafs, Habs, Jets, World Jr's etc Natonal: NBA, Monday Night Football and others

Sportsnet: National and regional coverage for NHL, Jays, Thursday Night Football and other properties.

To my knowledge, Fox didn't have a great line up of live sports that lead viewers to stay on the program to watch the highlights package. It's not rational to expect viewers and business's to have the TV tuned to MNF for the big game and than switch to Fox to watch analysis and highlights from the day's game?

The cost cutting on the set and employee's also took a toll and the ever changing media landscape with how we consume content. I used to religiously watch TSN, The Score etc to get the latest scores, highlights and news. Heck, one of the reasons why I despise baseball was because when I was growing up and wanted to know the NHL scores come playoff time, MLB would take up the whole dam ticker with the 3000 games going on every day.

I believe Jay is from the Edmonton area and I don't know if he makes a return to TSN or not but I could definitely see the Oilers picking him up as a media personality.

Regardless, best of luck to the boys!
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:07 PM   #47
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Came looking for a George Stroumboulopoulos mention, left happy!

Bring these two back big time. I tuned in every night for the highlights just to see their antics and when they would pronounce Bobrovsky.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote