Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2013, 10:26 AM   #101
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
It is a scientific fact that they are bad. Why are they bad?

As British Columbians they are geographically isolated from the rest of Canada. They feel ignored. They have been a terrible franchise for most of their existence. Now that they finally have a good team they hunger for attention. They also abuse substances.
FYP, and I don't trust any Canadian that does not spend the winter complaining about the snow. You just can't trust them...
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:26 AM   #102
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
This is the problem. People take it upon themselves to deal with these things.

I ask nicely once, then go to the ushers. It is there issue to address, and I have never had one have a problem dealing with a d-bag.
That's basically what I'd do. Unless they were really bad right off the bat, in which case, I'd skip the "ask nicely" step. But in a case like Stay Golden's experience, if he shoves you once, then goes to do it again, I'd definitely defend myself before going to security.

It's not dealing with the problem yourself, it's self defense and diffusing the situation before calling in the pros.
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:30 AM   #103
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth22 View Post
That's basically what I'd do. Unless they were really bad right off the bat, in which case, I'd skip the "ask nicely" step. But in a case like Stay Golden's experience, if he shoves you once, then goes to do it again, I'd definitely defend myself before going to security.

It's not dealing with the problem yourself, it's self defense and diffusing the situation before calling in the pros.
Problem is if buddy is pushing you, I suspect the situation is beyond "diffusing". When I was younger I was very much a hit first ask questions later......now I try to take a different approach.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:31 AM   #104
clancy
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darockwilder View Post
Canuck fans are like Rider fans. Can't stand them, but they themselves think they are the best fans in the league. Every other fanbase knows the truth though.
Big difference between Rider fans and Canuck fans is that Rider fans in general are very knowledgeable about football. Same cant be said for Canuck fans and Hockey.
clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #105
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
I'm not actively hanging out with Canucks fans when there's so many other places to go. Just because you haven't experienced ######ed fans there doesn't mean others haven't.
Okay, I'm saying I've been there a lot because I live right by there, and I have never seen an incident. I didn't say there's never BEEN one. I'm saying your post was ignorant, being apparently flabbergasted that the Pig and Duke is a Canucks bar. No S%%, Sherlock, it's obviously a Canucks friendly bar, there's Canucks-related stuff all over it. I used to live in Kensington and there's a place called FATS there that a lot of Vancouver fans seemed to flock to and there was no indication that that was a Canucks bar, at least the Pig and Duke is up front about it. I'm baffled that you could spend any time there and express shock and disgust that such a thing could exist in this city.
Quote:
Why go through a long winded post just to try and justify a Canucks' focused bar on a Calgary message board? I just simply won't go back there - place sucks.
Long-winded? Look again, I think it was about four sentences. Not a big reader, I take it?

You're welcome to not go back there (that's exactly what you should do if you don't want to watch hockey with non-Flames fans), but to express disbelief that there's a bar catering to Canucks fans and taking a "WTF are you doing in Calgary" attitude is pretty ridiculous. There are a lot of Flames fans who watch games there too, though, I assure you.
19Yzerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:44 AM   #106
BACKCHECK!!!
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't know if anybody's mentioned it here yet, but Canucks fans had a big ######ed riot a couple years back. There's a great video of a bunch of Nucks fans trying to burn a guy's work truck while the crowd chants "Burn that truck!" (because, ya know, Canucks fans).

I would have been on the "every fan base has their bad apples and this is just a case of observation bias". Right up until the point in that video where some guy tries to stop them from burning the truck, and a swarm of scumbags jump on him and the crowd's chant changes from "Burn that truck" to "###### him up!!".

Somebody loses in the Stanley Cup finals in a heartbreaking fashion every year. When it happened to them, Canucks fans gave a fairly compelling demonstration of how they are different from a 'typical' fan base.

As such, the argument that they are just another group of fans and that any difference in behavior (as a whole) is entirely imagined, well, it just doesn't hold much weight with me anymore.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:44 AM   #107
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
You cannot appreciate how unbearable they are until you've lived out there. You think its bad here but this is Canucks fans lite you get. Out on the coast its a totally different animal, so much more whinning, and crying and ######bagery and drunken losers and on and on and on.
This. I lived in Vancouver for a few years and almost every Flames game I went to you had to have your guard up. Really obnoxious and hostile fanbase.

And no, it isn't every Canuck fan. But as a whole they do tend to have quite a high number of idiots in their ranks.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:57 AM   #108
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Yzerman19 View Post
Okay, I'm saying I've been there a lot because I live right by there, and I have never seen an incident. I didn't say there's never BEEN one. I'm saying your post was ignorant, being apparently flabbergasted that the Pig and Duke is a Canucks bar. No S%%, Sherlock, it's obviously a Canucks friendly bar, there's Canucks-related stuff all over it. I used to live in Kensington and there's a place called FATS there that a lot of Vancouver fans seemed to flock to and there was no indication that that was a Canucks bar, at least the Pig and Duke is up front about it. I'm baffled that you could spend any time there and express shock and disgust that such a thing could exist in this city.

Long-winded? Look again, I think it was about four sentences. Not a big reader, I take it?

You're welcome to not go back there (that's exactly what you should do if you don't want to watch hockey with non-Flames fans), but to express disbelief that there's a bar catering to Canucks fans and taking a "WTF are you doing in Calgary" attitude is pretty ridiculous. There are a lot of Flames fans who watch games there too, though, I assure you.
Calm you ass down. I didn't know Pig and Duke was a Canucks bar until I actually paid attention to what's on the walls, and went there unfortunately during a Canucks game when everyone was wearing a Canucks jersey. I only went there for cheap wings on Wednesday. Now I won't go, because I don't have to support a Canucks' friendly bar. Not a big deal.

If you think for a second that I'm surprised that Canucks fans watch hockey in this city, however, you're being a complete drama queen. Hockey fans are allowed to watch hockey at anytime. Don't give a crap about that. Doesn't mean I have to spend my time and money hanging out with them.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:00 AM   #109
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
It is a scientific fact that they are bad. Why are they bad?

As British Columbians they are geographically isolated from the rest of North America. They feel ignored. They have been a terrible franchise for most of their existence. Now that they finally have a good team they hunger for attention. They also abuse substances.
Not only is it a scientific fact, we now have a solid legal opinion on the matter.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #110
Rerun
Often Thinks About Pickles

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Racist?
You are correct.. I used the wrong word. Bigoted is much better and much more applicable.
Fixed my original post. Thank you for pointing out my error.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:23 AM   #111
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post
You are correct.. I used the wrong word. Bigoted is much better and much more applicable.
Fixed my original post. Thank you for pointing out my error.
Bigoted?
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:27 AM   #112
Rerun
Often Thinks About Pickles

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
Bigoted?

Definition of a bigot:

a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group with hatred and intolerance
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:40 AM   #113
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Well, I guess I am a bigot then.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2013, 11:56 AM   #114
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

I agree. Oilers fans respect Flames fans and the rivalry and there's good ribbing going back and forth but at the end of the night, there's a handshake or even a hug and we call it a night. I remember one New Year's Eve I shooked so many Oilers fans hands at the Dome and wished them a happy new year. This was 09? Can't remember. Oilers lost 6-4 and even they weren't that douchy about it.

Canucks fans are nobodies and respect nobody. Just bad people.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:59 AM   #115
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACKCHECK!!! View Post
I don't know if anybody's mentioned it here yet, but Canucks fans had a big ######ed riot a couple years back. There's a great video of a bunch of Nucks fans trying to burn a guy's work truck while the crowd chants "Burn that truck!" (because, ya know, Canucks fans).

I would have been on the "every fan base has their bad apples and this is just a case of observation bias". Right up until the point in that video where some guy tries to stop them from burning the truck, and a swarm of scumbags jump on him and the crowd's chant changes from "Burn that truck" to "###### him up!!".

Somebody loses in the Stanley Cup finals in a heartbreaking fashion every year. When it happened to them, Canucks fans gave a fairly compelling demonstration of how they are different from a 'typical' fan base.

As such, the argument that they are just another group of fans and that any difference in behavior (as a whole) is entirely imagined, well, it just doesn't hold much weight with me anymore.

I still can't believe they burned that girl's car in front of her, still haunting footage.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:05 PM   #116
Envitro
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think I've told this story before, but Canucks fans have a notoriously bad reputation across the NHL.

I've gone to Flames games in LA, Phoenix, and Anaheim and all of those fans have made comments about how much they hate the Canucks and especially their fans. It was really a bonding moment with the locals LOL

Last night was a rare exception where I didn't get verbally assaulted, or even physically at a Canucks game. As a 10 year STH these are the games that my wife and I hate going to as we know our section is going to be full of DB's that take their team way too seriously and get in your face for no good reason (i.e. 0-0 game so far).

I don't get it, but it must be some sort of inferiority complex. It's like fat-agression, but with losing
Envitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:11 PM   #117
LickTheEnvelope
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Is it that bad in Calgary? Weird. Maybe that's where all the crazy's go now that Rogers Arena is filled with suits.

EDIT ADD:

Been to quite a few games over the last 10 years out here and I will agree with an earlier poster, only problem I've had with nearly every fan of an opposing team is Red Wings fans... which is weird because I like their team... and their fans in most forums are always fine.

Last edited by LickTheEnvelope; 10-07-2013 at 12:15 PM.
LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:14 PM   #118
Neeper
Official CP Photographer

Exp:

I can't stand them either. I get hot and bothered when I see any of them. There were a few in my section (PL17) last night and they were well behaved. But nothing pee's me off more than when the Dome erupts when they score. Its sooooo aggravating!
Neeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:17 PM   #119
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Did you have a point in that comically nonsensical run-on sentence?

All you've done is shown Canuck fans here are as annoying as they are in the Saddledome.
Don't worry about Blaster. Once the Canucks start sucking again and miss the playoffs like this year, he will be buying a Wideman jersey to go along with his Phaneuf one.
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:21 PM   #120
hayduke's dad
Scoring Winger

Exp:

A couple years ago at a Flames/Canucks game there was a group of 4 young women in canucks jerseys. When the Flames potted the empty net winner I tried to convince them to show us their breasts as their team lost and they should have to reward us for the win. They wouldn't.

The OP is correct totally classless however I wish those ones were a little more trashy
hayduke's dad is offline   Reply With Quote