Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2024, 08:36 AM   #3821
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post
Why after spending millions extending platform lengths at train stations are they still running 3 car trains during rush hour that are absolutely packed?
Not enough spare units to cover units under repair?
para transit fellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 10:37 AM   #3822
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post
Why after spending millions extending platform lengths at train stations are they still running 3 car trains during rush hour that are absolutely packed?
Are trains absolutely packed now? I don’t ride as much as I used to probably once a week now but outside of cold weather days I wouldn’t describe the trains that way.

Have they recovered to pre-pandemic levels
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 10:39 AM   #3823
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by para transit fellow View Post
Not enough spare units to cover units under repair?
Hosing off the vomit and feces doesnt qualify as 'under repair.'

Thats why the floors are made of plastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Are trains absolutely packed now? I don’t ride as much as I used to probably once a week now but outside of cold weather days I wouldn’t describe the trains that way.

Yeah, I was wondering the same. They were increasing ridership, needed to upgrade to the 4th carriage and then that little bug went around...where are we at with that?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 01:38 PM   #3824
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post

In total trips, as of September CTrain appears to have recover to 2019 numbers (but buses are still way down). But the weekday numbers are still lower, suggesting the usage profile has changed in that there are less rush hour trips for commutes and more trips during the weekend for shopping/leisure. Even 2019's weekday trips was down from 2014 (over 310K) before the oil price crash affected DT employment.

Last edited by accord1999; 03-03-2024 at 01:45 PM.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to accord1999 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2024, 09:31 AM   #3825
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ridership continues to recover, including record March ridership on the C Train.

But hey, no more money for the Green Line says the UCP because they don't like the project.

https://newsroom.calgary.ca/record-b...ss-in-q1-2024/
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 09:36 AM   #3826
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

can we run 4 cars again please?

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2024, 09:40 AM   #3827
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Seconded. At least for the morning and afternoon rushes, just having 4 cars on say 4 trains in a row on both lines (so for less than an hour even) would make a huge difference.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 09:41 AM   #3828
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
I've seen that CP Rail has a bunch of cattle-cars sitting around not doing much, we can jam people into them.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 05-10-2024, 09:45 AM   #3829
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I've seen that CP Rail has a bunch of cattle-cars sitting around not doing much, we can jam people into them.

Don’t want to Godwin the public transit thread, but the connotations of that are a bit grim.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 09:47 AM   #3830
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Don’t want to Godwin the public transit thread, but the connotations of that are a bit grim.
I am aware.

If you can't Godwin the Public Transit thread then the terrorists have won.

Old 05-10-2024, 10:18 AM   #3831
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Ridership continues to recover, including record March ridership on the C Train.

But hey, no more money for the Green Line says the UCP because they don't like the project.

So absurd. They also said that provincial money is now conditional on the green line (already planned and under construction) lining up with the provincial railway plan (doesn't even exist yet).

Which of course, will lead to more delays and make the project more expensive.

We're never going to get the green line built out are we?

PRetty good line by Gondek, lol.

Quote:
The letter acknowledged the cost pressures faced by the Green Line and other North American infrastructure projects but said the province’s $1.53 billion commitments haven’t changed, and there are two key conditions to the funding.

“Firstly, any cost increases or escalations will be the responsibility of the City and no additional funding will be available from the province for this project under any circumstances,” the letter read.

“And secondly, the provincial funding is contingent on the City’s Green Line being fully integrated with the Province’s recently announced Master Rail Plan which is scheduled for release next year.”

Mayor Gondek said in terms of the funding, nothing has changed. The Alberta government has been upfront that the $1.53 billion is the allotted amount of funding, she said.

“The only thing about that letter that’s concerning is the fact that they now want the Green Line to align with their yet-unrealized plan for regional rail,” she said.

“So, I mean, you can tinker with toy trains on your table all day long and try to come up with a plan. We’ve got construction underway on the Green Line. So Green Line, having to comply with a fictitious plan, is going to mean opening up that contract.”
https://livewirecalgary.com/2024/05/...ta-government/

Last edited by Torture; 05-10-2024 at 10:24 AM.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 10:21 AM   #3832
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
So absurd. They also said that provincial money is now conditional on the green line (already planned and under construction) lining up with the provincial railway strategy (doesn't even exist yet).

Which of course, will lead to more delays and make the project more expensive.

I dunno. They're doing lots of work on the proposed station by my office.

Old 05-10-2024, 10:29 AM   #3833
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
They've done a bunch of work already in Ogden moving the other rail lines to make room for the green line.

I think the portion between the Stampede grounds & the SE is very likely to get completed.

From there north, under downtown, the big station in Eau Claire, crossing the river, and onwards north, is more questionable to get built, just due to the scale & cost of that part of the project.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 10:50 AM   #3834
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon View Post
They've done a bunch of work already in Ogden moving the other rail lines to make room for the green line.

I think the portion between the Stampede grounds & the SE is very likely to get completed.

From there north, under downtown, the big station in Eau Claire, crossing the river, and onwards north, is more questionable to get built, just due to the scale & cost of that part of the project.
Yeah. Fair. The piece at risk is crossing the river and whether it gets tunneled downtown.

Still a vocal 'citizens group' that is well connected and has the ear of the Premier arguing to build it at grade downtown and go south first.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 11:18 AM   #3835
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon View Post

The Ogden work is specifically to make a new road underpass to access the CPKC property, because the new station is right where the current access road is.
Old 05-10-2024, 11:34 AM   #3836
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

We're going to end up with this being at-grade through downtown, aren't we? If it reaches downtown...
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 11:36 AM   #3837
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did Smith’s naturopath tell her we shouldn’t have a tunnel?
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 11:37 AM   #3838
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

"Fictious" rail plan. Thems fighting words Jyoti! Love it
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 11:57 AM   #3839
toonmaster
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post

Does anyone know how they count ridership? If it's solely based on ticket sales, how do they count monthly pass holders or the un-paid riders? Does transit run a counting algorithm off video feeds?
Old 05-10-2024, 01:00 PM   #3840
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Aren't these awful works going on downtown all for the Green Line? The road "repairs" they do after are driving me mad.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
c-train , calgary transit , information , lrt , renderings