Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Pick the best prospect from the following
Acolatse 1 0.27%
Agostino 7 1.90%
Arnold 35 9.49%
Billins 0 0%
Carroll 0 0%
Culkin 0 0%
Cundari 0 0%
Deblouw 0 0%
Elson 0 0%
Ferland 7 1.90%
Gilmour 0 0%
Hanowski 1 0.27%
Harrison 0 0%
Hickey 0 0%
Jankowski 190 51.49%
Jooris 0 0%
Kanzig 7 1.90%
Knight 13 3.52%
Kulak 9 2.44%
McDonald 1 0.27%
Ollas Mattson 0 0%
Rafikov 0 0%
Ramage 0 0%
Roy 0 0%
Sieloff 90 24.39%
Smith 2 0.54%
Thiessen 0 0%
Van Brabant 0 0%
Wolf 6 1.63%
Voters: 369. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-22-2014, 12:51 PM   #61
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Big Jankowski for me as well - Kulak close behind - stoked to see 3 CPers already voted Kulak. Well in!
Old 07-22-2014, 12:59 PM   #62
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Voted Jankowski, still 'projects' the highest of the prospects remaining, if indeed he is still on his development path. He's far too young to be written off yet.

It's going to be a giant cluster#### after Janks though. Personally, I'd say Sieloff, as I don't think he's any less the player this year as he was last year, as he seems to be bouncing back very well. His development was delayed, but his projections haven't changed and I think he'll reach them. Still love his heavy build and mean streak, I think he could see NHL time at some point next season. Probably still our 2nd best d-man prospect.

Kulak and Arnold should be coming up soon too.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:02 PM   #63
N26
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I thought we'd see more votes for Knight at this point. Not winning or anything but definitely thought he'd get more than 6 at this point
N26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:04 PM   #64
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Jankowski had been a 3rd round pick and put up these same numbers very few people would be voting for him yet.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:09 PM   #65
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
If Jankowski had been a 3rd round pick and put up these same numbers very few people would be voting for him yet.
Yeah, the guy is really being overrated voted in at eleventh.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2014, 01:15 PM   #66
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Yeah, the guy is really being overrated voted in at eleventh.
I'm not high Jankowski, but I'd hardly call him overrated
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:15 PM   #67
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
So? All prospects are partially judged by their draft position as well.

If you're trying to suggest his numbers are very disappointing, they aren't really at all if you put them in context. You have to factor in that he started college before most players do. His original plan was to go dominate the USHL for a year and then go to college. So last season would have been his freshman year if he had stuck to that plan and he probably would've put up some gaudy numbers in the USHL which would have made fans happy. You also have to factor in that he's on a team that isn't extremely high scoring. And you have to factor in that he hasn't been handed 1st line minutes yet.

Jankowski looks on track to me when you factor in his age and the massive jump from prep school hockey to college. I'd expect his numbers to spike this year. If they don't then we should be worried. No reasons to be worried about his development yet. His size, skill and skating combination mean he's the prospect left with the highest upside.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2014, 01:24 PM   #68
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just wondering, are people voting blind or are they reading a few pages of discussion every round?
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:32 PM   #69
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJones View Post
Just wondering, are people voting blind or are they reading a few pages of discussion every round?
Blind.

If I get any hint of the results through reading discussion I'll probably follow the majority.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:32 PM   #70
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I vote without seeing anything in each thread first, then read the thread and evaluate the arguments for and against. It helps me make my next choice in the next vote. I like to think my instincts are alright but I've been way ahead of the curve on players like Wotherspoon and Gillies. I think voting without reading the arguments keep things from becoming too much like "group think".

The consensus is still accurate, but seeing the outlier votes and the reasoning behind them is interesting and useful for me.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2014, 01:36 PM   #71
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

I go in blind every round. If I'm the sole vote or in the vast majority, so be it. This list will probably change quite a bit next year when we do it again.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2014, 01:48 PM   #72
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have my own list and follow it. So I guess that equates to blind
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:52 PM   #73
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He wasn't a 3rd round pick though - and for the same reasons he is getting votes.

He is a big, smooth-skating C with soft hands and a 200' game.

That makes him a 1st rounder, not a 3rd rounder.

And for the same reasons, that garners him votes now and not later, like say a Hanowski, who has a lesser tool set.

People aren't blind sheep that simply vote for a guy based on where he was drafted 2 years ago.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:20 PM   #74
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Flames Fan View Post
I vote without seeing anything in each thread first, then read the thread and evaluate the arguments for and against. It helps me make my next choice in the next vote. I like to think my instincts are alright but I've been way ahead of the curve on players like Wotherspoon and Gillies. I think voting without reading the arguments keep things from becoming too much like "group think".

The consensus is still accurate, but seeing the outlier votes and the reasoning behind them is interesting and useful for me.
Ya I went with Smith but reading through the pages I probably wouldn't now. Seems like next round if someone is over 25% I'll be surprised.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:23 PM   #75
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Ya I went with Smith but reading through the pages I probably wouldn't now. Seems like next round if someone is over 25% I'll be surprised.
Sieloff is over 25% in this round, so he probably will be next round as well
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:24 PM   #76
Jebus
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Jumped in to vote Seiloff in spite of Jankowski landslide. Personally think Jankowski is simply not going to live up to his draft status and that Weisbrod got excited about some magic beans. Whereas Sieloff was on such a great developmental track prior to his health issues, I really like his game.

(Very few things in life would make me happier than reflecting on this thought and being proven 100% wrong on the eve of Jankowski's Calder acceptance speech)
Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:28 PM   #77
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N26 View Post
I thought we'd see more votes for Knight at this point. Not winning or anything but definitely thought he'd get more than 6 at this point

Keep in mind Knight turns 24 in a month and a half.

IMHO, I don't even view someone that age as a prospect anymore.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:38 PM   #78
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
Keep in mind Knight turns 24 in a month and a half.

IMHO, I don't even view someone that age as a prospect anymore.
I could see that if he had been in the AHL since he was 20, but he just finished his first pro season. I'd still say he counts as a prospect.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:50 PM   #79
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

I went "off the board". Kulak! Best statistical progression of any Flames defenseman prospect, and reports from camp were positive.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2014, 02:55 PM   #80
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Clearly, this one's Jankowski. I like it, in a sense. All the pressure of 'he's Joe Nieuwendyk' has been obliterated. He's a damn good prospect in one of the deepest farm systems in the league.

So far the vote has seen a nice split between NHL readiness and potential ceilings - Janko is down the list because he's still two years away (likely) from turning pro, and he'll probably spend at least half a season in the AHL after that. His upside remains off the charts.

I also think he'd be higher on the list if he'd been healthy enough to play at development camp.