Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2008, 02:18 PM   #1
Finny61
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default A Dead Xbox 360

Well I won't waste a thread on whining and complaining. Appears this time it's from a bad disk drive. I heard a buzzing noise, pulled the disk out and it was fine but the drive doesn't sound the same when I open and close it and it won't read or spin disks. Best buy in the city won't offer help even though my Service Plan is still in effect, because this is my 3rd Xbox it is within the 1 year manufacturer warranty and they say can't touch it. So my only option is Microsoft which I worry will just lead to trouble. Have you guys had to go through this yet?

Do any of the stores offer a no questions asked replacement policy? I've considered getting a newer one or perhaps wait until the fall and see if a new model gets released.
Finny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 02:20 PM   #2
Prototype

Exp:

I'm currently awaiting my XBOX Box from Microsoft, RROD got me a week or two after it's 1 year anniversary.

I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:23 PM   #3
InSutterWeTrust
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I had gotten mine exchanged through best buy, but it was after a year and I had bought the extended warranty. They exchanged it for a brand new one, this was last September. Over the past few months I kept getting this error saying, "to play this game please put it in an Xbox 360 console" even though it was a 360 game and console. So a couple weeks back I phoned Microsoft they sent me my box and Im waiting for it back. I hope its back before GTA IV comes out!

InSutterWeTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:24 PM   #4
Finny61
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Where did you drop your boxes off to ship? Canada Post or a UPS store?
Old 04-07-2008, 08:36 PM   #5
InSutterWeTrust
Scoring Winger

Exp:

You drop the boxes off with Purolator.
And just a status update I just got back my Xbox today! Amazing turn around time. I had spoken with someone on March 28, shipped me a box, shipped out my box and got a replacement in less than 2 weeks! Wow! Now if the replacement works...I haven't tried yet.

InSutterWeTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 08:50 PM   #6
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Microsoft is getting good at this because if you own an Xbox 360, there's an 80% chance it will die and give you a RROD within a year. Luckily in Canada, they send you new ones instead of refurbished like in the U.S.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 01:54 PM   #7
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Microsoft is getting good at this because if you own an Xbox 360, there's an 80% chance it will die and give you a RROD within a year. Luckily in Canada, they send you new ones instead of refurbished like in the U.S.
How can you tell it is a new one?
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 02:16 PM   #8
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan View Post
How can you tell it is a new one?
I think it shows date on back. if new will be '07 or '08
FlamesKickAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 02:20 PM   #9
T I M
Backup Goalie

Exp:

The replacement one I got about a month and a half ago was refurbished. And yesterday it game me a RROD, turned back on afterwards. I'm guessing that I will have to send it back in the near future though.
T I M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 02:25 PM   #10
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Look for a 175W power supply on new units.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 02:29 PM   #11
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T I M View Post
The replacement one I got about a month and a half ago was refurbished. And yesterday it game me a RROD, turned back on afterwards. I'm guessing that I will have to send it back in the near future though.
I got the RROD when my circuit breaker blew on the line the Xbox was plugged into (moron electricians set the place up).

I reset the breaker, lightened the power load and turned it back on. Havn't had a single issue with it since.
llama64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:22 PM   #12
Finny61
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Very strange experience calling Microsoft to order my coffin. Called the first time and they said they were having a service outage and that I had to call back the next day. Representative #1 Name: Chad sounds like a 14 year old Thai nerd. I call today, representative #2 Name: Casey sounds exactly the same as the other nerd, even in the way they talk and I'm not talking cultural. Microsoft either has perfected the I Robot technology or they hired a poor family of 15 over in Asia to look after customer service because everyone else quit.

It was a good laugh. They said they won't fix it though, my guess is a refurbished one with heating issues.