Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 10:34 AM   #281
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
My thoughts:
- seems on the surface this is all about improving the forward ranks. I like Hagman a lot and he's got a good contract for 2 years beyond this season. Stajan may just be a solution for this year or does this perhaps free up the opportunity to trade Langkow? White is probably the best piece - he's an improving dman that is an RFA so he's a long-term part of this as well.
- However we give up by far the best asset in the deal without getting a true 1st line/top pairing type guy back. And #3 is a guy that could explode in a new market. That's the risk.
- I'm shocked the Flames dealt Dion - I never thought they would, but I'm wrong a lot.

Overall I'm not a huge fan of the trade but I'll wait and see how these guys fit in. I am looking forward to seeing White who I think Flames fans will really like.
Stop being all rational and making me want to put away my pitchfork.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:34 AM   #282
The Ditch
First Line Centre

Exp:

I haven't watched White much but at 5'10'' 190lbs (NHL.com) how is this guy going to be out here?
Old 01-31-2010, 10:34 AM   #283
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

A second trade is coming. Just you watch. There are just too many roster players.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:35 AM   #284
Lunatik
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

first I hate... i mean ING HATE this trade...

but its either smash my laptop, tv, burn my flames jersey and cut the flames tat off my arm... or try to look at the positive side... which is the now...

we are losing 1 forward and 1 defenseman with a combined 11 goals and 28 points

we are gaining a top 6 winger in Hagman that is a 3 time 20 goal scorer... we are adding Stajan who will help with faceoffs and still add more offensive production... we are adding White whi is a good young defenseman who is out producing Phaneuf so far this year... and well Mayers... who with McGrattan and Prust on the 4th line is going to be intimidating... in total the Flames are adding guys with a combined 47 goals and 108 points...

in the long run we lose HUGE in my opinion... but as of right now at this very moment we are a better team than we were yesterday...

and I still feel like puking
Old 01-31-2010, 10:35 AM   #285
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think there are words to describe how distraught I am right now.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
The Following User Says Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2010, 10:35 AM   #286
Clever_Iggy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unbelievable. I really really want to know some more details of any alleged trade demand or locker room divide involving Phaneuf. Frankly, unless Phaneuf was feuding with Iginla, Kiprusoff, or Sutter, there's no one player or any group of players worth letting Phaneuf go.

This trade is the type that some fan-boy Leafs fan draws up, posts on a forum and gets shot down with stuff like "you're crazy, you can't trade junk to get a star, why would Calgary accept the Leafs' castoffs, etc...." But it really happened.

I hate this trade.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:35 AM   #287
FlamesPuck12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Although I didn't like how Phaneuf was playing this year wow, I would think that we could've got more for Phaneuf. He's a freaking franchise defenceman.

Only positive side I see is no more Regehr and Phaneuf (thank goodness) and perhaps if we can get Regehr back to his oldself...
Old 01-31-2010, 10:35 AM   #288
TRIX
Scoring Winger

Exp:

So.....where's Cuthbert going in all of this?
It is official, I'm an idiot.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TRIX For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2010, 10:36 AM   #289
mister__big
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Stajan's most probably gone after this season (UFA). Mayers will not be re-signed for sure (unless he somehow catches fire).

That leaves White (re-signed) and Hagman as the pieces remaining from this trade. Like some have said, short term wise it gives the team more scoring but beyond this season, the outlook is pretty grim.

The problem is that I doubt Sutter could've gotten much more than this since it's hard to move a $7M defenseman in the middle of the season, let alone one who's been struggling for awhile. This is a make or break trade. Only a GM desperate enough to put his job on the line would trade for Phaneuf, and Burke is one of the very few GMs that fit the criteria.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:36 AM   #290
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Sure, the website's bad right now, but it was brutally slow back when the Leeman for Gilmour trade happened. Remember that?
We may curse our bad luck that it's sounds like its; who's sounds like whose; they're sounds like their (and there); and you're sounds like your. But if we are grown-ups who have been through full-time education, we have no excuse for muddling them up.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:37 AM   #291
mister__big
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Darn double post again

Last edited by mister__big; 01-31-2010 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:39 AM   #292
SunshinecoastFlamesFan
Draft Pick

I am in the minority, but I really really like this trade. I believe that Phanuef has been a cancer to this team for a long time and Sutter was finally able to unload him....

Watch the Flames play like FIRE! now! Just watch, I would bet money on it. I am pretty sure that the rest of the team is not crying over the loss of Phaneuf, I bet they will celebrate!

Woohoo, this is going to be great! So happy!
The Following User Says Thank You to SunshinecoastFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2010, 10:39 AM   #293
Fuji
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I have faith in Sutter still, and I added both Matt Stajan and Ian White to my fantasy hockey rosters Go Flames Go!

That's me!^
Old 01-31-2010, 10:40 AM   #294
debil
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Basically were back to pre-Bouwemeester era with 50 point Stajan instead of 90 point Cammalleri. Greeaaaat move Darryl !!!
Old 01-31-2010, 10:40 AM   #295
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are too many roster players. I smell a second trade coming.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:41 AM   #296
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is terrible. Plain and simple. Hagman isn't worth 3 mill, Mayers won't be here next year, maybe we can trade Stajan. The only thing I see going on here is that some of these guys are going to be flipped in another kind of deal (I'm hoping this was part of a bigger deal for somone actually good). The only guy I am OK with us getting is White and he'll be on our 3rd or 4th pairing!

I'm guessing we're shipping either Olli out for a first rounder or Langkow out in the Kovalchuck trade
Old 01-31-2010, 10:41 AM   #297
The Ditch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Acutally I now find it funny after Sutter bashes Cammy at the fan forum he picks up a 5'10'' defenceman, you said it yourself Sutter, you don't win with small guys.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:41 AM   #298
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

Wow... I woke up to this? Just... wow. So much for those that adamantly said Sutter would never trade Phaneuf. Guess they were dead, dead wrong.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:42 AM   #299
Pugger
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

White will be resigned and he is mobile. Sutter changed some key elements to this team solid skill and grit with Hagman- goal scoring with Stajan- perhaps he gets Joker going?

More plug grit with Mayers but it's more salary exchange to even it up. This deal is all about salary as much as players.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:43 AM   #300
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Makes me think why the press conference is at 2:30... Please Sutter make another move

Lecavalier or Kovalchuk
Closed Thread