Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2023, 01:06 PM   #1021
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Was the Corral ever used much in its later years?
I graduated from high school there.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 01:07 PM   #1022
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
I probably missed it somewhere, but when will the new event center break ground and when it will open?

Thought I heard nothing will be shown or discussed until everything is officially signed off on, and that would have to wait until after the election
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 01:09 PM   #1023
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
I probably missed it somewhere, but when will the new event center break ground and when it will open?
That's it! You're off John Bean's Christmas Card list.
Old 04-26-2023, 01:18 PM   #1024
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Notley's gonna have comments today she says.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 01:19 PM   #1025
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I graduated from high school there.
There's just gotta be a Superdogs joke here somewhere.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2023, 01:20 PM   #1026
t0rrent98
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

One positive thing that's come out of this horrific season 🤣
t0rrent98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to t0rrent98 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2023, 01:20 PM   #1027
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNotKenKing View Post
Thanks for calling me (usually) pretty fair. I try to be.

I think wording is important, though, as one can easily say "double the price of the last arena deal", as one of my partners did this morning having only seen a headline, and I called him out on that.

Speaking frankly, I have no idea how other municipalities spend their money (and kinda don't care) but someone did comment on the Titans receiving $1.2B in Public Financing earlier today. That only gets you 9 home games...
Is that worse?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...blic-financing

According to Stephenson and Wegner, financing for the project includes the largest public subsidy for a stadium in United States history of at least $1.26 billion.
Fair enough. As for the Titans, that deal also sucks, but I see it as being in the same kind of category. Of course a worse way to spend that kind of money is to spend more of it on the same kind of thing, but I don’t know if it’s in the spirit of what I’m thinking. I’m just genuinely curious what these “worse ways” Calgary could reasonably spend this money are.

We know there are better ways, many of which have been listed in the thread. But you’ve got around $1b to spend on a major project in Calgary… how much worse could it get?
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 01:22 PM   #1028
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Was the Corral ever used much in its later years?
Last time I was there I saw the TNG reunion. Before that it was the SuperDogs.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 01:22 PM   #1029
CF84
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/calgary-a...rict-1.6370698

Not to nitpick of details, but how does a parkade cost $235.4 million, and what is the public benefit of that? This fancy repurposable parkade with 503 spots cost $80 million:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...cmlc-1.6041589

Is this new one encased in gold?
I would assume that a parkade for the event center would need have more spots than 503. A parkade of 500 spots would only provide parking for around 10% of an arena if there were 4 people per vehicle.

Rogers Arena has a parkade with 792 spots and I would guess that Calgary's will be even larger. The parkade you posted isn't heated and is open to the elements, and an enclosed and heated parkade will greatly increase the cost.
...not encased in gold, but likely larger and far more convenient during cold winter events.

Edit: Nevermind. Now I can see the real total of the parkade, and it makes the cost of an $80 million parkade look really bad. That was built during the pandemic though so I can only imagine that the cost of materials was far greater.

Last edited by CF84; 04-26-2023 at 01:25 PM.
CF84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 01:23 PM   #1030
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan! View Post
What lawsuit?
Is this a serious question?

Or did I miss some breaking news that Tempe and Phoenix have settled their differences.

Obviously I’m kidding about $4 billion actually being spent by anyone but using Tempe as a template for a fair deal seems disingenuous considering it is mired in conflict and threatened litigation.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 01:26 PM   #1031
Elkyiv
Scoring Winger

Exp:

with the cost being this high, why not have a local referendum and see where Calgarians stand on the issue? Wasn't that the case for the 26 Olympic bid?
Elkyiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 01:31 PM   #1032
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkyiv View Post
with the cost being this high, why not have a local referendum and see where Calgarians stand on the issue? Wasn't that the case for the 26 Olympic bid?
We already elected the council to figure out the arena deal.

And we ####ed up the Olympic referendum too - how good would that extra $5B in federal/provincial investment look now, eh?

Just build the frickin thing before a piece of the Saddledome roof falls off and kills Elton John.
Old 04-26-2023, 01:31 PM   #1033
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkyiv View Post
They know it would fail
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 01:32 PM   #1034
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

As far as the City’s expenditure, I don’t see this as an excessive or burdensome amount. Honestly, a few hundred million doesn’t go very far when it comes to major facilities these days.

What grinds my gears is the pittance that the Flames are paying. $40M plus rent in the form of a loan.

Why didn’t the city just finance the entire thing at this point? At least then the City could get revenues for the naming fees and non sport events while charging the Flames a market rent (tied to inflation) for every sporting event. Just not clear what the Flames are bringing to the table here. Will they be responsible for building maintenance?
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Funkhouser For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2023, 01:36 PM   #1035
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

I swear to god, you tax police take all the fun out of everything
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jbo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2023, 01:44 PM   #1036
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
I can *sort of* buy the idea that a new venue does keep some entertainment dollars in Calgary (and by extension Edmonton). Because folks would be less inclined to fly to Vancouver or Seattle or wherever for acts that as John Bean said see it being worth flying over the Rockies because they can hit up both cities.

But there is something to be said for local dollars being spent locally, but just differently.
Calgary has already prioritized spending locally and differently for decades. We're 1.5-2.0 million people in this metro area and have the sports venue quality of a city of 250,000 to 500,000. We have a crumbling arena from the early 80s and a 1960s era concrete slab football stadium. We have literally overprioritized 'differently' all over the place forever. It's time to do this and get it done.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2023, 01:46 PM   #1037
Scooter
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Event Centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post
As far as the City’s expenditure, I don’t see this as an excessive or burdensome amount. Honestly, a few hundred million doesn’t go very far when it comes to major facilities these days.

What grinds my gears is the pittance that the Flames are paying. $40M plus rent in the form of a loan.

Why didn’t the city just finance the entire thing at this point? At least then the City could get revenues for the naming fees and non sport events while charging the Flames a market rent (tied to inflation) for every sporting event. Just not clear what the Flames are bringing to the table here. Will they be responsible for building maintenance?
Higher season ticket prices for sure!
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 01:51 PM   #1038
Demzy84
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
We already elected the council to figure out the arena deal.

And we ####ed up the Olympic referendum too - how good would that extra $5B in federal/provincial investment look now, eh?

Just build the frickin thing before a piece of the Saddledome roof falls off and kills Elton John.
Everyone I know who voted no on the 2026 Olympics were worried about cost overruns and that the $330M the city had estimated to pay would turn into $1B or more

And now, here we are spending $1.2B on an entertainment district instead of getting a new arena, a revamped WinSport/Oval/McMahon Stadium, and a 5000 person arena next to McMahon
Demzy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Demzy84 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2023, 01:55 PM   #1039
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
They know it would fail
To be fair, I'm pretty sure the $230 million for the Central Library would have failed as well. That's why you can't put all these things Tina referendum, as then you end up living in a Soviet style concrete city.

I think we need to see what is included in the spend beyond "infrastructure" and what the public spaces will look like. Then we can Jude the cost/benefit to the city.
Infinit47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Infinit47 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2023, 02:03 PM   #1040
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't seen this asked and think I covered the whole thread.

Does this deal include any commitment to the Flames remaining in Calgary for a certain period of time? Publicly financed stadium deals in other cities have often had a minimum year commitment to not move the team...
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote