Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2015, 10:01 AM   #241
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
That wasn't Darnell Nurse, he never played in the preseason for the Condors. The guy that fought Smith was Kale Kessy and yes that is all Kessy is good for, he is part of the reason Stockton signed Colton Orr
That's weird. Isn't Kessy the guy that Smith ran over in Penticton and beat up afterwards? Kessy isn't even in the same league of a goon as Orr. Hard to believe Smith would get his ass handed to him by Kessy. If true though, Smith needs to take some fighting lessons. Smith and Kanxig won't be doing much deterring or intimidating if they can't fight.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:05 AM   #242
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
That's weird. Isn't Kessy the guy that Smith ran over in Penticton and beat up afterwards? Kessy isn't even in the same league of a goon as Orr. Hard to believe Smith would get his ass handed to him by Kessy. If true though, Smith needs to take some fighting lessons. Smith and Kanxig won't be doing much deterring or intimidating if they can't fight.
I never got to see much of the Penticton tournament due to work commitments, so I can't comment on that. But no Kessy isn't in the same league as Orr and that is kind of the point, after Kessy beat Smith he threw his helmet and had a couple midgets in Hunt and Lomberg go after him. There is also little doubt in my mind that Orr will teach Smith, Carroll, Van Brabant, Kanzig... etc a thing or two.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alberta_Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2015, 10:16 AM   #243
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quick thoughts from last night's Heat game:
  • Granlund shouldn't be in the AHL. He's too good for that league.
  • Poirier's speed is going to burn a lot of defenseman in the NHL one day.
  • Agostino is a keeper, but he's going to be a victim of the numbers game.
  • Nakladal is a power play freak of nature.
  • Gillies was solid, but was hardly tested. Don't read into that game much.
  • Kylington is so slick in the opposing zone.
  • Turner Elson is still Turner Elson. Some things never change.
  • Arnold's never lost a face off in his life, I don't think.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2015, 11:03 AM   #244
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone know why we didn't see Hathaway? I would have thought he'd be in every night? Is he nicked up perhaps?
Old 10-11-2015, 11:11 AM   #245
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggysback05 View Post
Anyone know why we didn't see Hathaway? I would have thought he'd be in every night? Is he nicked up perhaps?
I'd guess too many bodies at this point since no forwards are hurt.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:29 AM   #246
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I was wondering who was missing. Didn't don on me that it was Hathaway. I'm not sure why he was out.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 11:41 AM   #247
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ya. I get that we have a lot of bodies down their but he wears an "A" and will be a key guy all year. Can't see him getting a healthy scratch game one, something is wrong with him physically I suspect
Old 10-11-2015, 12:10 PM   #248
KOgear
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Highlights fom 7-0 beating in link below

http://ahl.neulion.com/ahl/video/roc...-10-2015/13507
KOgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KOgear For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2015, 12:38 PM   #249
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ya. I get that we have a lot of bodies down their but he wears an "A" and will be a key guy all year. Can't see him getting a healthy scratch game one, something is wrong with him physically I suspect
I highly doubt his is injured. They named 3 alternate captains and dressed 2 of them. I suspect we see him and Riley take turns not playing.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:41 PM   #250
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOgear View Post

Holy smokes. That team looks really rippin' fast. The folks in Stockton are in for a real treat.
Old 10-11-2015, 03:30 PM   #251
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOgear View Post

URL of highlights changed a bit: http://ahl.neulion.com/ahl/video/tor...ba-moose/13497

How are we not talking about that Kylington goal? I can't believe how quickly he was able to skate into open ice and make the most of the screen in front. He went from the blue-line to the slot in 1 second.

Very Karlssonesque.
Bandwagon In Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 04:36 PM   #252
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha. The Heat play by play guy sure isn't afraid to let it buck when the Heat score.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2015, 04:57 PM   #253
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, not to rag on former players, but seems subtracting Cundari and Acolatse and adding Nakladal went a long way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StocktonHeatLVR View Post
Gillies looked good in net but outside of it looked a little lost. Kind of lumbered around.
IMO McDonald is our top prospect at playing the puck. You'll probably see him next year

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 06:02 PM   #254
StocktonHeatLVR
Draft Pick

Flames You are correct it was Kessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
That wasn't Darnell Nurse, he never played in the preseason for the Condors. The guy that fought Smith was Kale Kessy and yes that is all Kessy is good for, he is part of the reason Stockton signed Colton Orr
It was Kessy, the game I saw was the flames preseason game with Edmonton when they fought.
StocktonHeatLVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:30 PM   #255
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still hard to fathom that we have Oliver Kylington playing on our farm team as an 18 year old, fresh off of being drafted late in round 2.

Nice to see him get off to a nice start as well.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2015, 09:06 PM   #256
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

You can't dream up a better opening than what the fans in Stockton got to experience for their first ever AHL game.

The Flames organization has absolutely loaded that team with NHL ceiling talent. I think I read that 21 of 28 players are on NHL contracts. Huska is also a year more experienced at coaching at the professional level, which should help the Heat start the season strong.

It's amazing to see how the organizational depth has grown over the past 7 seasons since the Heat came to Abbotsford.

I expect the Flames to be very busy on the trade market this season and next. They have almost too many pieces.

/randomthoughts
Old 10-11-2015, 09:15 PM   #257
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymebalm View Post
You can't dream up a better opening than what the fans in Stockton got to experience for their first ever AHL game.

The Flames organization has absolutely loaded that team with NHL ceiling talent. I think I read that 21 of 28 players are on NHL contracts. Huska is also a year more experienced at coaching at the professional level, which should help the Heat start the season strong.

It's amazing to see how the organizational depth has grown over the past 7 seasons since the Heat came to Abbotsford.

I expect the Flames to be very busy on the trade market this season and next. They have almost too many pieces.

/randomthoughts
The Flames could do what the Jays did and make a couple of 2/3 players for 1 trades and still have a deep farm system.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:21 PM   #258
druetetective
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Still hard to fathom that we have Oliver Kylington playing on our farm team as an 18 year old, fresh off of being drafted late in round 2.

Nice to see him get off to a nice start as well.
It seems to be the latest trend in player development. Kylington is the youngest and only 18 yo this year. Remember we may have been one of the 1st with when we sent Sieloff in his draft +2 season when he still had 2 years of jr available.

Last year however, Nylander, Fiala, Pastrnak and Honka as well as some I'm sure I'm unaware of all played as 18 year olds.

This year Kempe, Kapenen and Kapenen to name a few are all playing in their draft +2 seasons*.
*(these players are considered underagers unlike Poirer for example who also played in his draft +2 season but since he was an overager in his draft year he had already extinguished all his junior eligibility not taking into account a overage season which no 1st rounder has used since Bryan Marchment in the 80s)

Anyways I really like this decision as it has seemed to pay dividends for other players in similar situations.
druetetective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:34 PM   #259
druetetective
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
The Flames could do what the Jays did and make a couple of 2/3 players for 1 trades and still have a deep farm system.
Can the Heat make AHL trades that have no bearing on the parent club that holds the players rights? Klimchuk for Shinkaruk for example. I doubt it but I'm not positive.

I remember the Flames doing something similar with Cundari a couple years ago. Although perhaps that was a loan and not a trade.

That brings up another question though....
Do you guys think it would be better to loan guys to weaker AHL teams so they can get more playing time or simply send them to Adirondack?

Im guessing most of you will say Adirondack because it worked out for Kulak last year plus it would be our own coaches that will put an emphasis on development.

With that being said though, the ECHL is far inferior to the AHL in every way,shape and form. AHL minutes might be better for development than ECHL minutes regardless of the team and system being played. It might be a good idea to have a couple independent AHL teams with no NHL affiliation for this reason.

Anyways I'm drunk off wine and rambling nonsense, what do you AHL guys who are much more knowledgeable than myself think?
druetetective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:55 PM   #260
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by druetetective View Post
Can the Heat make AHL trades that have no bearing on the parent club that holds the players rights? Klimchuk for Shinkaruk for example. I doubt it but I'm not positive.

I remember the Flames doing something similar with Cundari a couple years ago. Although perhaps that was a loan and not a trade.

That brings up another question though....
Do you guys think it would be better to loan guys to weaker AHL teams so they can get more playing time or simply send them to Adirondack?

Im guessing most of you will say Adirondack because it worked out for Kulak last year plus it would be our own coaches that will put an emphasis on development.

With that being said though, the ECHL is far inferior to the AHL in every way,shape and form. AHL minutes might be better for development than ECHL minutes regardless of the team and system being played. It might be a good idea to have a couple independent AHL teams with no NHL affiliation for this reason.

Anyways I'm drunk off wine and rambling nonsense, what do you AHL guys who are much more knowledgeable than myself think?
Yes you can trade among AHL teams, the Cundari for Corey Locke trade did happen. You would have to have both parent clubs sign off though which is why it rarely ever happens and when it does, it's will filler players rather than anyone with NHL potential.

The ECHL is increasingly being used as a developmental league, so you're starting to see some players with potential that would otherwise be buried on the AHL team getting prime minutes in the ECHL. Martin "I'd like to buy a vowel" Frk is an example of it with the Red Wings.

Guys like Kanzig, perhaps Hunter Smith, and a couple others could be options to head down.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post: