Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2016, 09:58 PM   #101
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

What Marner is doing to the best junior teams in the nation is pretty ridiculous. 12 points in 3 games now.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:59 PM   #102
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Does Bennett ever get linemates, or are we content to see him centre Jooris and Bouma for the rest of his career?
Really hoping we find someone who has good chemistry with Bennett so he can showcase his skills.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:25 PM   #103
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

The sheer amount of high end NHL talent that's went through London since 2002 is ridiculous.

Even lots of later round picks that become good NHLers. They have probably developed and drafted (OHL drafts) more NHLers than some NHL teams over the last 14 years.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/d...m.php?tmi=6618
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2016, 10:31 PM   #104
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha, the two London knights the Flames picked? Brandon Trust and Rico "don't call me" Fata.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:47 PM   #105
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Prust was a good pick.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:55 PM   #106
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-hole View Post
Yeah. What a pick by Arizona. Ranked #71 in NA in CSS final rankings after 14 points in 35 games in a season mired with injury. Taken 58th.

(Sadly, taken 4 picks after blue chip prospect Hunter Smith. )
Hopefully Treliving made some good friendships With the Arizona scouts and can lure some of them to the Flames. They've done a great job in recent years.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:28 AM   #107
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
What Marner is doing to the best junior teams in the nation is pretty ridiculous. 12 points in 3 games now.
He's a talented kid but man he gets flattened easily by junior players and he's playing on a stacked line as that Dvorak kid is really good and Tkachuk isn't chopped liver. He's going to have to get stronger (165 lbs) or have that elusive quality like Gaudreau or it could take him a while to get acclimated to the NHL.

Also watching that game last night was kind of sickening as it was a big Leafs lovefest.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:04 AM   #108
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Haha, the two London knights the Flames picked? Brandon Trust and Rico "don't call me" Fata.
Could be worse. Could be Edmonton's picks.

Kyle Platzer (4th round), Sam Gagner (1st round), Danny Syvret (3rd round), Rob Schremp (1st round), Alex Henry (3rd round), Maxim Spiridonov (9th round), Nick Stajduhar (1st round), Don Martin (5th round), David Haas (5th round), Steve Smith (6th round)

You also left Brian Bradley (3rd round) off the Flames list. I would say he was arguably the best pick for the Flames from the Knights, although I'm sure you could get an argument that the Oilers selection of Steve Smith was better in the long run for the Flames!
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:10 AM   #109
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Did anyone else find that game painful to watch? The refs were a complete gong show. They called so many penalties, it made the game boring. The Knights are great on special teams so it favours them, but I found the game boring and don't know what would happen if those two teams could actually get some flow going.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:05 AM   #110
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukes View Post
Did anyone else find that game painful to watch? The refs were a complete gong show. They called so many penalties, it made the game boring. The Knights are great on special teams so it favours them, but I found the game boring and don't know what would happen if those two teams could actually get some flow going.
Yeah I was at the game.

I actually feel bad for the Huskies. The reffing seemed tilted for the Knights in my opinion. There was some really questionable calls against the Huskies and some obvious calls against the Knights were missed.

I actually, think if the game had flowed the result might have been different.

Also, had the opportunity to speak to Damian Cox after the game:

"Hey Damian, how you enjoying Red Deer? What you think of that game?"

"lot of stupid #### in that game"

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:41 AM   #111
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Yeah I was at the game.

I actually feel bad for the Huskies. The reffing seemed tilted for the Knights in my opinion. There was some really questionable calls against the Huskies and some obvious calls against the Knights were missed.

I actually, think if the game had flowed the result might have been different.

Also, had the opportunity to speak to Damian Cox after the game:

"Hey Damian, how you enjoying Red Deer? What you think of that game?"

"lot of stupid #### in that game"
I got the feeling the crowd felt that way. I think that's more an anti-Ontario and anti-favourite feeling though. There were questionable calls on both teams, and many, many missed calls both ways at the same time. The Huskies at 12 PP's! I don't know how that is slanted to the Knights. I just think it was terrible all around.

The refs also called a dive against Max Jones early (questionable at best) and the Huskies probably could have been called several times after that for the same thing.

The hit from behind on Yakomovich was the d-man's fault (but a hit from behind is a penalty anyway, I understand) and then was overblown once he was hurt. I am not questioning the guy who was down as I don't think that he was faking it, as when they first showed him his face was purple and I was actually scared. His brother was over there shortly after and he gave the thumbs up to his parents in the crowd shortly after. The announcers then said he couldn't catch his breath and was severely winded. They said his dad is a respiratory doctor and he checked him out after.

Then one of the Knights, I believe Owen MacDonald, was hit from behind in a play as bad or worse and got nothing (he popped up and got back in the play), yet the refs called a 5 minute major on Yak.

The Knights got a high sticking penalty at one point and the Huskies player was bleeding, slightly, but bleeding but the ref looked at him, said something and skated away giving the Knights two minutes.

The last 10 minutes of the 3rd there were several penalties that could have been called both ways but I guess the refs were out of breath from blowing their whistle all night.

edit: Damian Cox is terrible
Old 05-25-2016, 10:48 AM   #112
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Why did they schedule the only game between both Eastern teams at 10:00 PM ET? Every other game is at 8 ET or earlier.
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:49 AM   #113
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I got the feeling the crowd felt that way. I think that's more an anti-Ontario and anti-favourite feeling though. There were questionable calls on both teams, and many, many missed calls both ways at the same time. The Huskies at 12 PP's! I don't know how that is slanted to the Knights. I just think it was terrible all around.

The refs also called a dive against Max Jones early (questionable at best) and the Huskies probably could have been called several times after that for the same thing.

The hit from behind on Yakomovich was the d-man's fault (but a hit from behind is a penalty anyway, I understand) and then was overblown once he was hurt. I am not questioning the guy who was down as I don't think that he was faking it, as when they first showed him his face was purple and I was actually scared. His brother was over there shortly after and he gave the thumbs up to his parents in the crowd shortly after. The announcers then said he couldn't catch his breath and was severely winded. They said his dad is a respiratory doctor and he checked him out after.

Then one of the Knights, I believe Owen MacDonald, was hit from behind in a play as bad or worse and got nothing (he popped up and got back in the play), yet the refs called a 5 minute major on Yak.

The Knights got a high sticking penalty at one point and the Huskies player was bleeding, slightly, but bleeding but the ref looked at him, said something and skated away giving the Knights two minutes.

The last 10 minutes of the 3rd there were several penalties that could have been called both ways but I guess the refs were out of breath from blowing their whistle all night.

edit: Damian Cox is terrible

It is just my opinion that the refs missed calls, Tkachuk, tripped a Huskies player late in the game in front of the ref no call, another late game punch from the Knights in front of the net no call.

Myself and a number of people around in my in the stands agreed that it looked like the Knights got away with more than, as in more penalties should have been called against them (oh god the would have been no flow to the game).

Listen, while I said it "might" have been a different result, I know it wouldn't.

It might be hard to see from London, .

Quote:
Old 05-25-2016, 10:50 AM   #114
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
Why did they schedule the only game between both Eastern teams at 10:00 PM ET? Every other game is at 8 ET or earlier.
Late game was for SN, so they could show the BJ's game.

I was told that originally the game was gonna be Red Deer v Brandon, but Red Deer nixed that claiming host privilege and got the 2 Eastern teams in that slot.

Quote:
Old 05-25-2016, 10:52 AM   #115
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
Because Sportsnet is stupid. Ostensibly it was because of a conflict with the Blue Jays game. But both SN1 and SN360 were showing pre-recorded crap for most of the night.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:56 AM   #116
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Late game was for SN, so they could show the BJ's game.

I was told that originally the game was gonna be Red Deer v Brandon, but Red Deer nixed that claiming host privilege and got the 2 Eastern teams in that slot.
I don't think the Rebels claimed host privilege. The Memorial Cup schedule is the same every year, and day 5 is always the two 'other' leagues. i.e.: last year with a Q host it was the OHL vs. WHL match-up, and the year before when hosted in Ontario, was WHL vs. QMJHL.

If the Rebels had to pull rank on Sportsnet, it was because Sportsnet was trying to change the formula to suit itself. And I find that a little tenuous to believe, as I would expect the CHL would bend over backwards for the TV coverage far more easily than even the NHL does.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:59 AM   #117
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
I don't think the Rebels claimed host privilege. The Memorial Cup schedule is the same every year, and day 5 is always the two 'other' leagues. i.e.: last year with a Q host it was the OHL vs. WHL match-up, and the year before when hosted in Ontario, was WHL vs. QMJHL.

If the Rebels had to pull rank on Sportsnet, it was because Sportsnet was trying to change the formula to suit itself. And I find that a little tenuous to believe, as I would expect the CHL would bend over backwards for the TV coverage far more easily than even the NHL does.
You could be right.

I was talking to the facility production manager and he has a blow hard reputation.

Quote:
Old 05-25-2016, 11:11 AM   #118
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Even if Red Deer didn't want to do it you'd think they could have at least found a game with, I don't know, only one Eastern team at the very least?
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:38 AM   #119
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Quote:
It is just my opinion that the refs missed calls, Tkachuk, tripped a Huskies player late in the game in front of the ref no call, another late game punch from the Knights in front of the net no call.

Myself and a number of people around in my in the stands agreed that it looked like the Knights got away with more than, as in more penalties should have been called against them (oh god the would have been no flow to the game).

Listen, while I said it "might" have been a different result, I know it wouldn't.

It might be hard to see from London, .
Not saying you specifically had any bias. I agree that there were missed calls against the Knights too, I even pointed one out above and there were several more. I also don't know if the result would have been different as like I said, the Knights are great on the PP and PK so a game like that typically favours them (though I thought it was their worst game in quote a while). The Huskies were ranked #1 in the CHL, they have to be a good team.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:57 AM   #120
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Huskies were ranked #1 in the CHL, they have to be a good team.

How is this decided?

The leagues don't play each other, so it is based purely on stats, both team and individual?

For what's it's worth, I don't think it would have been a different result (just wishful thinking). Same that game, which could be argued is the premier game of the round robin had that officiating.

Quote: