Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 11:11 AM   #21
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Conservatives must reply quickly and aggressively to this news. There is only one thing that can save them from JP and his legion of Francophone Hipsters.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coys1882 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2012, 11:17 AM   #22
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

As a conservative supporter I find the idea of Carney interesting and would welcome the debate and ideas that he would bring but have no clue as to his political leanings. My guess would be that he could fit nicely in with either the Liberals or the Conservatives though.

As for Justin, I really don't know much about the guy other than a few dumb statements on his part and the fact that he is his father's son. On the face I don't like the idea of dynasties or nepotism and would much rather see someone earn their chance based solely on merit. I am a bit biased but I will always judge someone with a known last name a little harsher than otherwise but I figure that is fair because their rise to the top seems easier.

One of my biggest complaints about him is that when he first entered federal politics there were a lot of people talking about him becoming Prime Minister. So really, my first knowledge of this guy is that his dad was leader and now he is thinking about it. I realize that the idea probably came from the media and he likely didn't make any claims himself but still that is where I stand.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:18 AM   #23
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

JT will grab a *LOT* - and I mean a *LOT* of support in Quebec and Ontario. Which basically hands the next few elections to the Conservatives. Right now it is dangerous territory for the Conservatives because the NDP have so much support in the East that it could create another minority government situation. However, with Justin Trudeau, it will pull the Liberals up even with the NDP, splintering the centre-left vote.

The federal Liberals without Trudeau would continue to wane in significance and eventually die (or merge with another party the way that the dying Progressive Conservatives did).
Old 09-26-2012, 11:34 AM   #24
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils'Advocate View Post
JT will grab a *LOT* - and I mean a *LOT* of support in Quebec and Ontario. Which basically hands the next few elections to the Conservatives. Right now it is dangerous territory for the Conservatives because the NDP have so much support in the East that it could create another minority government situation. However, with Justin Trudeau, it will pull the Liberals up even with the NDP, splintering the centre-left vote.

The federal Liberals without Trudeau would continue to wane in significance and eventually die (or merge with another party the way that the dying Progressive Conservatives did).
i really hope you're wrong, i desperately want to see Canada get back to having a center-left party in power. but right now the only options seem to be the conservatives or far left wing NDP. which is pretty much why i have yet to vote in a federal election since i became eligible
Old 09-26-2012, 11:42 AM   #25
mariners_fever
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Mark Carney is without a doubt in line with the CPC and would be a longshot to even consider running for the LPC. If he did run for the LPC, he'd definitely be a Blue Grit. The fact that Harper appointed him makes it unlikely that he'd run, as well.

That said, stranger things have happened, and often times these social media movements that seek to 'Draft ___________ for' whichever office they are running for are actually organized by that person's campaign before they officially announce their run. They do so to gauge support.

For those of you who like the job he's done (as I do), you may hope he doesn't dream of running as he is more effective affecting public policy in his job without the heavy political weight of being an elected official than he would be as PM. If you like his work, hope he doesn't run.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:06 PM   #26
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

So let me get this straight....

The Liberals got destroyed in the last election, because:

1) they were unable to get any support in the West; and
2) they fielded a candidate that was heavily criticized for being too much of an academic and not having enough real world experience.

So...Trudeau, son of a man many in the West hate and who has almost no real world work experience, is going to be the next leader...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2012, 12:15 PM   #27
Rerun
Often Thinks About Pickles

Exp:

The Following User Says Thank You to Rerun For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2012, 12:18 PM   #28
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

^ what is Stephen Harper going to do to him?
Old 09-26-2012, 12:19 PM   #29
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
So let me get this straight....

The Liberals got destroyed in the last election, because:

1) they were unable to get any support in the West; and
That's not accurate. The majority of Liberal losses in the last election occurred in rural and suburban Ontario.

Quote:
2) they fielded a candidate that was heavily criticized for being too much of an academic and not having enough real world experience.
That's an interesting point. I can't imagine a leader without any "real world" experience whose only employment before running for election was as an academic and party insider ever becoming PM. There's no way the pragmatic voters in Western Canada would ever embrace a politician with that background.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2012, 12:25 PM   #30
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils'Advocate View Post

Yeah, my reading of this is exactly the same. The only place Trudeau will have an impact is in Quebec, and heavily urban areas of Ontario, BC, and the Maritimes. Those aren't ridings that the CPC need to win. The last election swung on suburban ontario, and JT doesn't seem to me like he can shift those ridings back red.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:19 PM   #31
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

I feel like he's far too inexperienced. Should wait at least one more election cycle.

He'd definitely ignite some passion though. And some hate, lol.

Cant be worse than Dion or Ignatieff though,
Old 09-26-2012, 01:27 PM   #32
Hatter
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Not a Liberal supporter, but at least Trudeau is likable and has some charisma. The last election I thought Ignatieff was a dead person and the Libs were trying to be funny .
Old 09-26-2012, 01:57 PM   #33
mrgreen
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Let's face it. Politics is about image, soundbites and charisma as far as leaders are concerned so I think he'll do well.
The Following User Says Thank You to mrgreen For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2012, 01:59 PM   #34
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
Ugh, heard this news this morning. Both my wife and I, two long-time Liberal voters, just shook our heads. If he wins (and barring a star candidate like Mark Carney entering the race, he's very likely to), I feel like I'll be completely in the political wilderness. I don't support the Conservatives because of their backwards social policies (see re-opening the abortion debate in the HoC today), and I don't support the NDP because of their ill-advised economic polices. During the Chretien/Martin years, the Liberals ideally matched my values: progressive on social issues while balancing the budget and creating an environment that allowed the economy to flourish. I have absolutely zero confidence that Justin Trudeau can/will do the same.
I'm at the point where I don't care who the leader is, as long as he's electable. The Liberals could have Alex Burrows as leader and they'd still have better policy than the Conservatives.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:01 PM   #35
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
I'm at the point where I don't care who the leader is, as long as he's electable. The Liberals could have Alex Burrows as leader and they'd still have better policy than the Conservatives.
Free diving lessons and finger bitting for all? He's got the BC and Quebec votes sewn up.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:09 PM   #36
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Burrows wouldn't work. His french isn't good enough.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:10 PM   #37
Rerun
Often Thinks About Pickles

Exp:

IRC Pierre Trudeau wasn't overly popular in Quebec at the end of his reign.
Not sure if this will carry over to his son, but even if it doesn't I'm sure Harper and company is looking forward to destroying him in the next election.

There have been a lot of recent Liberal leadership candidates who looked good before they won but once they won, and they were in the spotlight, the warts and skeletons started to appear.

If the Liberals hope to have any chance at winning the next election, Justin Trudeau is not the candidate to lead them there.

I look forward to another 4 years of Conservative Party of Canada majority and JT will pretty much guarantee that.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:23 PM   #38
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ You are of course assuming a) Trudeau wins the nomination (I don't think he will), b) Harper won't screw up (bringing up abortion is a can of kerosene, bringing up other social issues will burn their party down) and c) That the NDP will fade. The conservatives barely got a majority the last time, and with more variables this time around, be praying they can actually hold on to a minority before you start thinking majority.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:34 PM   #39
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post
IRC Pierre Trudeau wasn't overly popular in Quebec at the end of his reign.
Not sure if this will carry over to his son, but even if it doesn't I'm sure Harper and company is looking forward to destroying him in the next election.

There have been a lot of recent Liberal leadership candidates who looked good before they won but once they won, and they were in the spotlight, the warts and skeletons started to appear.

If the Liberals hope to have any chance at winning the next election, Justin Trudeau is not the candidate to lead them there.

I look forward to another 4 years of Conservative Party of Canada majority and JT will pretty much guarantee that.

Will Harper be around next election? I mean realistically he'll have been PM for about 8-9 years by that point, and what reason would he have to stick around? Pretty clearly there are some people who are starting to position themselves to run for his job when he's done as well....I wouldn't doubt we see something in the next couple years from him calling it a day.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:48 PM   #40
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are many reasons why people might not support Trudeau. That they didn't like his father is a stupid one - get over it.

Regarding his experience, is it really any less than Harper's was when he started? Not saying that Trudeau has the depth of Harper (it hurts me to compliment Steve) but in terms of resume.

Carney is an interesting option. I've heard his name put forward multiple times in the past year - not sure if that officially qualifies as smoke.
Closed Thread