Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2017, 10:26 PM   #1001
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd liner View Post
Yes. Other silver linings here
1) We beat Edmonton last week. That is our own grey cup.
2) Shania Twain's cleavage.

I'm a glass half-full kind of guy.
Don't forget the fact that Argos fans are an endangered species. As long as you don't turn on TSN you can pretend this loss never happened.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kevman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2017, 10:27 PM   #1002
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Baseball wild card teams win the World Series sometimes and 100+ win teams get knocked out.

Its the CFL. Its a 9 team league. It a championship game sometimes played in the snow. The level of preparation and attention to detail is so many miles from the NFL that you have much greater dependence on luck and catching the hot hand than what we are conditioned to see.

If you are looking for reasons why younger fans aren't following the CFL as much as needed, you are barking up the wrong tree IMO.

Were you less satisfied with the Crandell Grey Cup win than other Stamps wins?
Actually in the fairly brief history of wild card teams in baseball, I believe they've barely ever won the World Series or even gotten past the LCS. I could be wrong and I'm too lazy to check.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:28 PM   #1003
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Other leagues have wild card teams win but they are still good teams. You have to be good to make the playoffs. I’m not saying the best team has to win just that bad teams should not have the opportunity.
As a Stamps fan I liked the Crandall win. As a CFL fan I thought it was bad for the league
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2017, 10:28 PM   #1004
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Well I meant more figuratively and mentally rather than physically for those guys.
The regular season last year and this year meant nothing. In general with the playoff format regular seasons mean little but with the Stamps as good as they are they were bored. This year they had last years Grey Cup to drive them through the reg season. And dominated the Argos as the better team all game. And handed it to them.

What’s the motivation for next year and regular season when it was a innocent play away to have the season crash down just like they, again, from a player or players perspective?
As for the players, I'd like to think that those guys given their backgrounds know how much hard work and effort goes into the everyday process that ends up culminating in a make or break moment or moments. Just simply being a professional athlete means that in January they have to work out hard every day and watch what they eat just for a chance to show up in June and see if they can make the team. These guys get that process and that part of it is playing at the top of their game in June, July, August, September, and October the same as is needed in November.

As a fan, I personally thoroughly enjoy going to the tailgate and then going to the games and watching football. What happened this week cannot take away the great time I had last Sunday. I agree the regular season winning and Grey cup game losing could turn off the casual fan, but as someone who takes time to consider the perspectives of other fan bases I appreciate what I get to watch game in game out with this team. A Winnipeg Blue Bomber fan has only had an opportunity to watch their team in a home playoff game a handful of times in a generation. The Stamps casually charge you for and include those tickets in their Season ticket pack and rarely have to refund you (has happened only 5 times since 1988!! 2011, 2007, 2004, 2003, 2002)
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2017, 10:32 PM   #1005
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
Other leagues have wild card teams win but they are still good teams. You have to be good to make the playoffs. I’m not saying the best team has to win just that bad teams should not have the opportunity.
As a Stamps fan I liked the Crandall win. As a CFL fan I thought it was bad for the league
I'll say this though, I don't think any of the mediocre CFL winners have lucked their way there. They've produced some of the best grey cups ever. The 9-9 Riders beating the 16-2 Eskimos in the west final to play Hamilton in 1989 is a good example. So are the last two GCs.

If the championship game is exciting I don't see anyone, the league or fans, clamouring for change.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:32 PM   #1006
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Baseball wild card teams win the World Series sometimes and 100+ win teams get knocked out.

Its the CFL. Its a 9 team league. It a championship game sometimes played in the snow. The level of preparation and attention to detail is so many miles from the NFL that you have much greater dependence on luck and catching the hot hand than what we are conditioned to see.

If you are looking for reasons why younger fans aren't following the CFL as much as needed, you are barking up the wrong tree IMO.

Were you less satisfied with the Crandell Grey Cup win than other Stamps wins?
Agreed, one of my faves because calgary had no right to win going into that game with Crandell
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:33 PM   #1007
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I'll say this though, I don't think any of the mediocre CFL winners have lucked their way there. They've produced some of the best grey cups ever. The 9-9 Riders beating the 16-2 Eskimos in the west final to play Hamilton in 1989 is a good example. So are the last two GCs.

If the championship game is exciting I don't see anyone, the league or fans, clamouring for change.
agreed for every stamps fan that hates this, there are others who would have loved this game.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:35 PM   #1008
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I didn't pick up on that post because I thought it was a ridiculous time to talk about regular season apathy minutes after getting your heart torn out in a championship game. But here I go anyway.
Maybe it was bad timing but I don't venture into this neck of the wood very often and it was on my mind.

Quote:
At some point, you have to enjoy the game and the experience and not just because every game is pivotal to whether your team wins a championship. For me, that's why I still follow the CFL and will try and go to a game in the summer when I visit home. I like the game. It's how many people feel about baseball. Your team is out of the playofsf with 100 games left in the season but people still go to the game.
And I do. Going to a game is a good time. Once or twice a year that is. I'll always have a special sentimental place in my heart for those burgers with sauteed onions. However when it doesn't matter much if they win or lose, nine games is a tough sell.

Quote:
The league does need to figure out how to attract younger fans, but making it harder to qualify for playoffs has nothing to do with that IMO.
Losing some of your older fans ins't a good place to start. Like I mentioned, I grew up going to Stamps games. Indoctrination. That's an easy way to get new fans. Now I'm the age that I could buy my own season tickets and pass along that excitement. Instead I chose to spend my time and money elsewhere and wait until November to tune in.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:41 PM   #1009
Slanter
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I've seen the Stamps win Grey cups, I've seen them lose them. I lived in Winnipeg for 6 years, so I feel fortunate to say that.

But wow, that one hurt. The better team this season did not win. The better team tonight did not win. The Argos had no business hoisting that cup, and yet they did.

Really painful.
Slanter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slanter For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2017, 10:43 PM   #1010
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Make it a one-division league and the playoff problem is solved.

Has no bearing on your team choking in the big game. Good Grey Cup game though.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blender For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2017, 10:44 PM   #1011
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

not sure if it was here or not but someone compared the stamps to the early 90's Atlanta Braves, which i think is bang on. that was a team that should have won many titles but they found ways to lose. will be hard going to games next year and getting excited when they dominate, as most of us i would think will be thinking, they will find a way to lose when it matters. last year can be written off as an anomoly, now you cant say that.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:47 PM   #1012
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will say it again Jordan's brain cramp of not securing the ball with both hands in a snow game is entirely his fault. Regardless of the play call. It was first and goal on the 8. He fumbled on the 6 he would of been been down by contact but no instead of accepting 2nd and 8 he tries to crawl. STUPID and selfish. Btw the Argo didn't knock the ball loose he missed and grabbed his thigh, Jordan lost his grip on his own and thought what maybe I could crawl 8 more yards. Stretching out on a nothing play cost him and his team mates the GC. Now its over hopefully he can mentally stay out of a depression because i'm sure he is going to be busted up for quite a while.

Last edited by Stay Golden; 11-26-2017 at 10:50 PM.
Stay Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stay Golden For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2017, 10:52 PM   #1013
Slanter
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Also this:

Slanter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slanter For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2017, 10:55 PM   #1014
Wiggum_PI
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Messed had 6 fumbles in 2016 and 5 fumbles in 2017 on about 400 carries. So 2.5% of Messem carries end in fumbles.

Bo Levi Mitchell had 11 interceptions on 546 attempts.

Now this doesn't address fumbles after completions but calling a pass isn't really a risky play relative to a Messem run.
I disagree that calling a passing play isn't more risky. Here's an article from SI about stats from running or passing within the 10 yard line.

https://www.si.com/2014/10/02/nfl-go...delphia-eagles
Wiggum_PI is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wiggum_PI For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 11-26-2017, 10:58 PM   #1015
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank MetaMusil View Post
Ok, defend Dickenson then. Let's lose a third GC in a row. The team is awesome, he just gets mindwiped for the title games.
For the fire Dickenson crowd . . . .Tell me the best chance at head coach this team has at winning the 2018 Grey Cup?

How many times in sports do we see teams make personnel changes because of a gut-wrenching playoff loss, only to not be able to be as good as they were after the changes were made.

Also in the CFL you see boneheaded coach decisions all over the place by coaches with championships who are highly regarded league-wide. Jorden doesn't fumble, Stamps are Grey Cup champions and Dickenson is heralded as being the brightest mind in the league.

Bo Levi gets more on that throw and Michel comes down with that pass and Marc Trestman's the Goat for giving Bo Levi 20 extra seconds by throwing it on 2nd and long on the previous possession instead of keeping it on the ground and taking more time off.

People are comparing DD's decisions to Jason Maas's mistake last week. I don't think it's comparable. Jason Maas made a decision that mathematically couldn't have possibly put his team in a better position in any outcome:

3rd and 4 on CGY 13 yard line with 2 minutes left down 7

Assuming his defense gets the stop, he ends up in virtually the same place than if he lets his MOP QB attempt the play and fail:

His decision: Kick the field goal, kick it deep - CGY hands it off twice gets stuffed, punts it to EDM. EDM likely has it on their own 40 down 4 with a little less than a minute to go and needing a TD to win.

Alternate decision Go for it on 3rd and miss. Turn over on downs. CGY has it on their own 13, runs twice, gets stuffed, conceeds safety, kicks it off to EDM. EDM has it on their 35-40 with less than a minute left down 5 and needing a TD to win it.

Last edited by Cowboy89; 11-26-2017 at 11:02 PM.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 11:06 PM   #1016
stamps
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Holy mother of God ..... ***k me ..... ********KKK !!!!!!!
stamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 11:24 PM   #1017
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggum_PI View Post
I disagree that calling a passing play isn't more risky. Here's an article from SI about stats from running or passing within the 10 yard line.

https://www.si.com/2014/10/02/nfl-go...delphia-eagles
This is skewed by 4 downs vs three.

On a single down you would use the touchdown rate possibly which says pass. Even with the extra down the run is only marginally better using the scoring margin increase.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 11:52 PM   #1018
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Kudos to Dave for giving a tough post-game interview for TSN. No excuses but good perspective on things.

DD is going nowhere but on a well deserved rest to prepare for next season. But Hufnagel will have the naysayers and nonbelievers out of that room real fast.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:02 AM   #1019
Wiggum_PI
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
This is skewed by 4 downs vs three.

On a single down you would use the touchdown rate possibly which says pass. Even with the extra down the run is only marginally better using the scoring margin increase.
Fair point that data is skewed because of 3 downs vs 4. I still think running the ball at that point in the game was the better option. They didn't even really need a TD, could've kneeled the ball twice and kicked a FG. Argos would've had to score 11 to tie with ~3+ min left.
Wiggum_PI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:28 AM   #1020
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
Kudos to Dave for giving a tough post-game interview for TSN. No excuses but good perspective on things.

DD is going nowhere but on a well deserved rest to prepare for next season. But Hufnagel will have the naysayers and nonbelievers out of that room real fast.
Hufnagel is gonna get sick of this soon. That's two chances to salt away a championship inside the 10 and they blow it twice in consecutive years.

Junk coaching.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote