Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Old 04-10-2017, 10:13 AM   #21
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Hes, could some of that be due to booking with rewards points/Aeroplan? If I have something go wrong with an airline booking it's almost always a flight I've booked with points. They never seem to go smoothly. It's like the airlines are trying to discourage it by being inflexible.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:14 AM   #22
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Star Alliance has ANA, which is my favourite airline. United does suck though.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:14 AM   #23
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
Yet another reason to never fly Star Alliance.

ANA and EVA are awesome airlines.
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:15 AM   #24
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Hes, could some of that be due to booking with rewards points/Aeroplan? If I have something go wrong with an airline booking it's almost always a flight I've booked with points. They never seem to go smoothly. It's like the airlines are trying to discourage it by being inflexible.
Probably. But we have flown points on other Airlines without issue before and since.
Knut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:24 AM   #25
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chummer View Post
ANA and EVA are awesome airlines.
Singapore Airlines is also a member of Star, rated #3 in the entire world in 2016.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:34 AM   #26
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

My wife was showing this to me this morning, looked like a police officer used a taser, and I played Devils advocate that those are the rules and if a police officer asks you to leave then you follow the instructions (they have a tough job).

But after reading the circumstances I can't believe this:
-First why on earth would you board a plane, if it's overbooked, you get the volunteers first at the gate. Totally United's Fault
-Second, for this to be for employees to fly, that's just inexcusable, especially to escalate force.
-If these are "security guards" and not Police Officers then this level of force is completely out of line.
-Change the $800 to cash instead of a voucher and you easily get volunteers.

Last edited by Ace; 04-10-2017 at 11:42 AM.
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ace For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2017, 11:49 AM   #27
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

McNeil‏Verified account @Reflog_18 3h3 hours ago
United Airlines is pleased to announce new seating on all domestic flights- in addition to United First and Economy Plus we introduce....

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:52 AM   #28
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

United does stink, I haven't even had an overly bad experience besides just crappy planes that never ever ever EVER have TV's or free streaming. Even a 6 hour flight from San Frnacisco to Cancun I was on didn't have any. I feel bad for people in the states who get stuck with a United hub, to get most direct flights out of Chicago, San Francisco and Houston you have to book United.

In terms of domestic US airlines for me its Delta all the way.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:00 PM   #29
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Greedy m...ers! Overbooking is a horrible practice but at least it is backed by statistics. So, if you overbook and all passengers show up, take your lumps and pay up. Make it fun for everyone. Offer first class fare to the alternative flight, offer a full refund and a free flight, offer $1000 right away, do something really nice. Why play these stupid $200 refund games in a hope to save a few hundred dollars and have a million dollars in reputation damage?

I wish this guy sues them for millions and wins. Can't wait for SNL and talk show hosts to say something about this.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2017, 12:00 PM   #30
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
Consistently the best in my experience has been American but a lot of that has to do with the fact I fly through a major AA hub (Dallas) so if you end up missing a connection you can always get to your destination somehow. Plus I fly with them enough that they always give me the better seats for no extra cost.
All airlines have their cases.

Flying back from Dallas recently AA asked for people to volunteer. We thought this was because there was a family of 4 who they were trying to get on the flight. There was a group who did volunteer and we thought that was the end of it. We board and there are multiple empty seats and the family is nowhere to be found. They needed to boot people off the flight because it was too heavy with cargo. Shipping product was more important than humans.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:10 PM   #31
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

United, the only airline I know that doesn't allow those with small kids to board first. So instead of letting parents go ahead to allow them time to fold all their baby crap and put kids in their seats, those same parents/kids are scattered throughout the crowd, delaying the whole process for everyone on the plane. Genius.

It's also the only airline where I've seen an arm rest fixed up with duct tape.

Just a terrible company all around. They are basically the cable company of the skies.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2017, 12:12 PM   #32
La Flames Fan
THE Chuck Storm

Exp:

Wow...that's all I have to say. Whoever made that final say is gonna fiyerrrrrred.

On a side note, am I the only one that has never had a problem with Air Canada...only great service and flights?
Old 04-10-2017, 12:14 PM   #33
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

In general I'm fine with Air Canada, but they are a pretty average to mediocre airline. They're just starting to look better since WestJet has fallen off so much.

Basically, airlines everywhere else, you're still a customer. The scale in quality still fluctuates wildly, but in general you still aren't treated like an inconvenience. In North America, they act like they're doing you a favour.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2017, 12:16 PM   #34
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think I've had a bad experience with AC or Westjet in years. Perhaps not always outstanding, but never truly bad. Then again, when you're used to flying American carriers, everybody else is pretty damn awesome.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2017, 12:21 PM   #35
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurnaceFace View Post
Shipping product was more important than humans.
I kind of get that. You can ask a human if they'd rather go later in exchange for compensation. However you cannot ask cargo the same question.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:23 PM   #36
LIP MAN
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
http://www.courier-journal.com/story...ey=&autologin=

It's like a four hour drive from Chicago to Louisville. I'm guessing United badly wishes they just paid their staff to drive to Louisville, not only would it save the PR nightmare coming (and likely lawsuit), but it might even have gotten them some positive PR.
My GF is an FA for WestJet, and they can't really do that. There's transportation standards crew scheduling has to adhere to as well. Agree this was handled terribly, but they were between a rock and a hard place. Also, fatigue is a huge factor in the industry.

"Deadhead" flights are the reason there's not delays all the time. Agree they shouldn't have boarded the flight.

Last edited by LIP MAN; 04-10-2017 at 12:27 PM.
LIP MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:23 PM   #37
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

West Jet really screwed everything in Canada. It was fine when they came in as a "budget" airline. But then Air Canada stripped their service to compete with West Jet, and then both raised their prices outside of the "budget airline" range, while still only offering budget-level service.

In general, the airline industry in Canada can use more competition. They should let foreign airlines fly domestically here more often.

On that video, while I think United is terrible for doing what they did, the passenger could have behaved a little more dignified. Is it confirmed that he really is a doctor?
Old 04-10-2017, 12:24 PM   #38
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
Horrible... we do not even look at United when we search for flights. I would gladly pay more for us not to take them.
How much more? Just curious...cause I've been able to avoid them for a long time, but my next flight I won't be so lucky.

Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:28 PM   #39
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

All the Star Alliance flights seem to have taken over google flights ... for a while now. It's actually suspicious.

Although I guess it's because we really only have Air Canada as our local international carrier.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:30 PM   #40
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Isn't that roughly a four-hour drive? United could have rented them a van and avoided this **** storm.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote