Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2017, 09:04 AM   #1
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default NHL.com Article - Flames Extra - Sticking To It - Deryk Engelland

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/flam...it/c-287415188

Great read by George Johnson.

I hope we sign Engelland back, but for the right price of course.
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:10 AM   #2
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice article by George. Really happy for how things are turning out for Engelland - definition of a character guy!
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:12 AM   #3
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I remember hating the Engo deal when it was first announced. Looking back, it looks like most of CP did, too.

Boy, was I wrong. He's been a fixture on the back-end for three really good seasons. I'd like to see him back for one or two more.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2017, 09:23 AM   #4
starseed
First Line Centre

Exp:

It seems like the Flames have more than their fair share of these kinds of stories. Cohesive teams are built with players like Deryk.
starseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:24 AM   #5
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

I want him back too
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:27 AM   #6
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I remember hating the Engo deal when it was first announced. Looking back, it looks like most of CP did, too.

Boy, was I wrong. He's been a fixture on the back-end for three really good seasons. I'd like to see him back for one or two more.
I think it was more the money he signed for rather than the signing of the actual player. When I first heard that he signed for 2.9 million, I thought that was the total amount over 3 years, not 2.9 million per season.
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2017, 09:29 AM   #7
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think he is a great player for the role he plays but cap space is a major commodity and anything over $1.5 MM is too much for a 3rd pairing dman in my opinion. Next year, the Flames should look at giving some younger guys a chance as well.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2017, 09:30 AM   #8
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Would be happy giving him a one year contract for under 2M. Anything more than that worries me.

The guy is 34 and Calgary has treated him well so hopefully he will be understanding.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:33 AM   #9
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Losing him will leave a hole in the D that's for sure.

Bartkowski is a decent 3rd pairing lefty, but how much is he helped by having a big physical defensive veteran playing on the right side, and how much would his game drop off without Engelland as a partner?
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:36 AM   #10
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

1 year at 2.0-2.3 Million or 2 years 1.5-1.7. I think he brings a lot to the team, will never forget when he took on two canucks.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:40 AM   #11
jaikorven
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Good story and I also would like to see Engelland back for a couple more seasons. Price dependent of course. The support he got from his wife was interesting bit for sure.
jaikorven is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jaikorven For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2017, 09:44 AM   #12
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd offer 1 year at 1-2 mill but the Flames do need flexibility and Deryk might be content to chase the dollars in Vegas. He's turned into a fairly solid veteran bottom pairing dman.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:56 AM   #13
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
1 year at 2.0-2.3 Million or 2 years 1.5-1.7. I think he brings a lot to the team, will never forget when he took on two canucks.

One of the proudest moments as a Flames fan for me was seeing Engelland go beast mode on those two. What a series.. I want that feeling again so bad!

Edit: Man was Stajan ever a beast in that series too, crazy fight there and the biggest goal in Flames history since 04, dude has been a stud and with this series single handidly won the Phaneuf trade.

Last edited by Heavy Jack; 03-06-2017 at 09:59 AM.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2017, 09:57 AM   #14
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
I think it was more the money he signed for rather than the signing of the actual player. When I first heard that he signed for 2.9 million, I thought that was the total amount over 3 years, not 2.9 million per season.
Same here, but much like Wideman, Engelland was signed for a purpose and that was to shepherd a young, developing team along with a steady, veteran presence as well as to keep them safe.

And remember, again, when that deal was signed I think we were struggling to hit the cap floor.

Its no secret that I've been a huge Engelland fan since Day 1, and yeah, we all know the money is a little steep, but hes been worth it and I hope they keep him around. Hes a guy that you need in order to win, I just hope he takes a bit of a haircut on the price now.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2017, 10:11 AM   #15
yourbestfriend
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Love the guy. Perfect 5/6 D. I also feel like he'd be the perfect partner for any of the kids coming up in the future.
I really hope he resigns
yourbestfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:12 AM   #16
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourbestfriend View Post
Love the guy. Perfect 5/6 D. I also feel like he'd be the perfect partner for any of the kids coming up in the future.
I really hope he resigns
But you just said all those nice things about him....

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2017, 10:13 AM   #17
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would love if the Flames found a way to re-sign Engelland for 1 - maybe 2 - seasons. He adds such a strong physical presence. He completely neutralizes Lucic. He is as steady as they come on defence. He is apparently a real leader in the locker room as well. When he leaves, it will leave a hole that is not easily filled by another 5/6th defencemen. Engelland brings a heck of a lot to the team.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2017, 10:15 AM   #18
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

This was supposed to be his retirement contract but he's played well and earned another retirement contract. Unfortunately, it can't be the Flames giving him another one of those. They will already have over $20 mill tied up in the top 4.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:16 AM   #19
locsofblu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Kudos Engelland. Nice to see he is having success.
locsofblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:16 AM   #20
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was going to start a thread on looking back on people's reaction to Engelland. Not in an I told you so way but in a how should you evaluate a contract signing and not over react.

At the time of the trade the following were both true.

Engelland didn't harm our ability to sign players that we wanted -- So roughly zero opportunity cost.
Engelland would provide benefit

At the end of his contract the benefit he provided was a lot. We don't make the playoffs without him and having some physicality on the backend is important. Is he overpaid at 2.9 million. Absolutely, but did he provide greater benefit than the opportunity cost to the flames. There is no question about it.

So when assessing deals the opportunity cost needs to be looked at rather than just the dollar values and cap hits.

The opportunity cost vs. value is why I don't think he resigns with the flames next year. Unless he is willing to take a paycut to be on a winning team there will be a team be it Vegas or someone rebuilding who will see a character, physical, 4/5/6 defensemen that costs them nothing but Salary. And they will pay more relative to his value on a contending team.

I suspect he can get a 2yr 3 mil per year cap hit from another team.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post: