Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-05-2017, 04:23 PM   #81
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

^^^^^^^^^^

Very true. There's no way that Versteeg won't have significant interest in the $1.5 to $2.5m range, possibly even multi year deals to choose from.

He's having a hell of a season and is proving to be a very important player to the Flames offensive success this season. It'll be a shame to lose him, but I doubt we'll be able to just toss him on the roster for a year for peanuts, and I don't really want to be signing him to a multi year 2+mil contract.

We're heading into the penny pinching portion of our rebuild where the stars and goalies will leave no room for any overpayment in role positions.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 05:28 PM   #82
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Is anyone really certain Versteeg will have significant interest? He had an even better season last year with the Hurricanes and all that got him was a contract in Switzerland and PTO with the Oilers. He's a year older and less productive this season. I'm not convinced he's going to have significant interest on the market.

But with that said, I've liked what he's brought this season and I'd bring him back for the right price. I think $1.25M for another year would be ok with me. A big raise, the ability to stay close to home on a team that's using him in a significant role has to be pretty enticing for him. He's moved 6 different cities in the last 5 or so years and I'm sure he's had enough, especially now that he has a young child.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 05:33 PM   #83
Moneyhands23
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think if he is offered a 2 year 1.65 he signs in a heartbeat. Gives him 2 more shots at the cup in his home town. Pretty sweet way for a guy to finish his career.

I have changed my thoughts and would offer him 2 years.

Not that I have a choice in the matter :/
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moneyhands23 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2017, 08:11 PM   #84
GettinIggyWithIt
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Too early to say in my opinion. I believe the Flames will make the playoffs and I think for some of these guys - their value will be dependent on how well they perform in the playoffs. Even guys like Chiasson and Bouma who have been disappointing in the regular season could change their value with a strong post season performance. Not that I would necessarily want the Flames to base their off-season re-signings just on that - I just think it will impact their worth in an open market.
GettinIggyWithIt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GettinIggyWithIt For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2017, 08:52 PM   #85
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

He got an offer from the Islanders early on in the FA period, and he turned it down expecting better offers. It then became silent. That is when he decided to go to Switzerland, and then everyone knows the rest.

I think his health was a legitimate concern with NHL teams this year. Maybe his time with the Flames has relieved that concern somewhat (he missed time, but no significant injuries this year). I still don't think he will get much of a bump, and I am not sure teams are going to give him term either. I hope it isn't the Flames on both fronts - I would like him re-signed for a short term (2 year max) at 1.5 million or so. If he finds a much better offer elsewhere, than so be it.

I am not convinced he takes the money this time. He is in a good situation here. Good minutes, up-and-coming team, close to home - there are a number of factors to consider.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:22 AM   #86
dying4acup
First Line Centre

Exp:

Vegas creates 23 extra NHL jobs, including 1hole on 30 NHL teams. Vegas would love a player like versteeg on its top Line for 3m or less.

Last off season is not the same as this one.
dying4acup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 07:49 AM   #87
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Depends on guys like Janko, poirier, Shunkaruk, klimchuck and Lazar whether they take the next step or if they ever do.
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:31 AM   #88
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

As others have pointed out, I think this offseason won't be like many others we are used to. I think the Flames need veterans in the line up and I think having guys who have won the cup recently is what they wanted and got. A group who are family men, mature and responsible to lead the way. Not just 1 or 2 guys, but at least 5 or 6 I think is reasonable to lead the way. BT has done a great job of filling the cupboards (and Feaster before him) with promising prospects, who can make the jump in the next few years, but for now we need these guys. Versteeg has been good so far this season and I think is helping Bennett come along nicely.

Even if Versteeg doesn't have an outstanding playoffs, they still consider signing him for 1 more year, at a low cap hit. Hopefully around $1 million, I am not a fan of 1 season of decent play and then rewarding these guys. We can't afford to be paying this kind of guy more than that if we want to be contenders and I think if we are winning, they will consider signing for a chance to win the cup.

So, the Flames should re-sign Versteeg IMO come the summer time, but only if the cap hit is friendly to the Flames. We can't wait until training camp to sign him because I think other teams, including LV will want what he has brought to the Flames so far this year.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:22 PM   #89
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

He wants to stay. Good article:

Quote:
Versteeg revealed that contract discussions haven’t started between him and the Flames yet. But his preference is to stay in Calgary.

“Me and my agent have talked a lot about different scenarios and situations,” he said. “Being in Calgary is obviously No. 1 for me. I have my family, I have my friends. I feel like I’ve made a lot of good friends on the team and in the organization. Here is where my heart is, especially right now. But things change and you never know.

“The business is pretty crazy."
http://calgaryherald.com/sports/hock...or-next-season