Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 11:37 AM   #2001
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
The left can not accept that Trump won this election because of them, and their own ignorant views. The right isn't what caused this!
Please explain this.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:38 AM   #2002
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol, I don't care if I'm being 'overly precautious'.. I refuse to take the bait!

Last edited by calumniate; 01-31-2017 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:38 AM   #2003
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Man, that's some pretty paranoid mind reading you're going for there. When Peter has an agenda, it's pretty blatant... Actually, it's usually explicit. You're talking about a guy who had a whole thread about human rights being inherently Christian.
And I was right!

But yeah, I mean, I've read Leo Strauss, but I'm not really an esoteric poster.

I posted the NRO article because it really demonstrated a solid attempt by a conservative to moderate the increasingly partisan discussion revolving around "Why Trump."
Old 01-31-2017, 11:39 AM   #2004
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I guess REDVAN is giving up on the idea that he's just confused and looking for answers.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2017, 11:40 AM   #2005
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
Please explain this.
I don't necessarily agree with the statement, but the derision that is directed at the right, which I myself am totally guilty of too, dismissing them as stupid or all racist, definitely puts people into a defensive shell.

Even myself, while agreeing with their views in general, am sick of seeing celebrities lecture people. as an example. I can see there being a lot of "#### you" votes because of this type of thing.

I think people should accept that a pretty fair portion of the left is pretty non-inclusive when it comes to a right wing viewpoint.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2017, 11:42 AM   #2006
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I don't necessarily agree with the statement, but the derision that is directed at the right, which I myself am totally guilty of too, dismissing them as stupid or all racist, definitely puts people into a defensive shell.

Even myself, while agreeing with their views in general, am sick of seeing celebrities lecture people. I can see there being a lot of "#### you" votes because of this type of thing.
Isn't cutting off your nose to spite your face kind of the epitome of stupidity?
Old 01-31-2017, 11:43 AM   #2007
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That Jonathan Pie video that briefly went viral right after election day basically summed up the position:
Spoiler!

It's not fair to say that Trump won the election because of the left, as that video argues. But it's fair to say that it's one of many contributing factors.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 01-31-2017, 11:45 AM   #2008
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Betsy DeVos scrapes by the Senate. Just remember kids: you can be anything you want in life, and #### qualifications.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b02772c4e80681

And don't ever worry about plagiarizing at any time in your application process.

Quote:
After DeVos' confirmation hearing was limited to one round of questions by Sen. Lamar Alexander, chairman of the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions, Democrats submitted hundreds of questions to the nominee.

In response to a question from Sen. Patty Murray, the top Democrat on the committee, on bullying of LGBT students, DeVos almost directly -- and uncited -- quoted Principal Deputy Assistant Attorney General Vanita Gupta, head of Obama's Civil Rights Division at the Justice Department.

"Every child deserves to attend school in a safe, supportive environment where they can learn, thrive, and grow," DeVos writes.

Gupta was credited with nearly the same quotes in a May 2016 press release on ensuring the civil rights of transgender students.

"Every child deserves to attend school in a safe, supportive environment that allows them to thrive and grow," Gupta wrote.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/31/politi...bama-official/

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 01-31-2017, 11:45 AM   #2009
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Isn't cutting off your nose to spite your face kind of the epitome of stupidity?
Well that depends if you legitimately think they're cutting off their nose. I don't really think some midwest Rust Belters would have been impacted differently in either direction regardless of who won this election. So why the hell do they care? They see one party who keeps claiming everything is better, but they don't see it in their lives so what's the reaction. They don't want the same so they vote for the different.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:45 AM   #2010
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

lol, this thread is like a microcosm of what's happening right now.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheyCallMeBruce For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2017, 11:46 AM   #2011
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nassim Nicholas Taleb's piece "The Intellectual Yet Idiot" summed it up pretty good for me.

Quote:
The IYI pathologizes others for doing things he doesn’t understand without ever realizing it is his understanding that may be limited. He thinks people should act according to their best interests and he knows their interests, particularly if they are “red necks” or English non-crisp-vowel class who voted for Brexit. When plebeians do something that makes sense to them, but not to him, the IYI uses the term “uneducated”.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:47 AM   #2012
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
I guess REDVAN is giving up on the idea that he's just confused and looking for answers.
Sorry, I am at work!

I think the left caused this by pushing some centrists to vote Trump. The more militant left is very vocal about "doing the right thing" and "thinking the right thing" and "saying the right thing" and LEGISLATING the right thing.

Centrists, especially the more libertarian ones, would have voted for Trump based on this. And the USA is much more libertarian than Canada, so I do think they had something to do with Trump's election. There is much more in play here than Republicans vs Democrats.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:50 AM   #2013
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Even myself, while agreeing with their views in general, am sick of seeing celebrities lecture people. as an example. I can see there being a lot of "#### you" votes because of this type of thing.

I think people should accept that a pretty fair portion of the left is pretty non-inclusive when it comes to a right wing viewpoint.
You mean celebrities like Phil Robertson and Sarah Palin?
Old 01-31-2017, 11:52 AM   #2014
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Sorry, I am at work!

I think the left caused this by pushing some centrists to vote Trump. The more militant left is very vocal about "doing the right thing" and "thinking the right thing" and "saying the right thing" and LEGISLATING the right thing.

Centrists, especially the more libertarian ones, would have voted for Trump based on this. And the USA is much more libertarian than Canada, so I do think they had something to do with Trump's election. There is much more in play here than Republicans vs Democrats.
As a centrist I agree with this. But I cannot attribute it to why American centrists would have felt the same but it is the impression I am getting.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:52 AM   #2015
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No, he means the entirety of Hollywood.

Why do you always have to be so contrarian when you know what his point is?
Old 01-31-2017, 11:53 AM   #2016
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sorry, I am at work!

Yeah, I can definitely see people clutching on to "build that wall" and "lock her up" after hearing and revolting against "doing the right thing"
Old 01-31-2017, 11:53 AM   #2017
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'll take your response as acceptance of my point.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:55 AM   #2018
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No, he means the entirety of Hollywood.

Why do you always have to be so contrarian when you know what his point is?
ah, I see, I should not contradict his points with his points,
I get it.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:55 AM   #2019
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Please explain this.
It's probably partially true, though not in a way that flatters Trump or his voters. Just like Nixon's election was largely a negative reaction to the civil rights and peace movements, Trump's popularity (as pathetic as it is relative to virtually any other President) stems mostly from disgruntled uneducated whites reacting to the decades long erosion of their advantageous position within American society.

I expect it'll continue to happen on an even larger scale in the long term as the United States declines as a superpower. I get the impression that Americans think they're entitled to a certain standard of living and superiority over others simply because of where they're born. But they don't seem to realize that maintaining that takes work and they need to be better than other countries at doing what they do if they want to continue like that.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2017, 11:56 AM   #2020
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
ah, I see, I should not contradict his points with his points,
I get it.
You had an example of my point from the other side, not sure how this is a contradiction. Nowhere did I say it was exclusive.
Closed Thread

Tags
making snl great again , soviet murica? , trade wars , trumpcare = doa , utterly insane pressers