Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-07-2017, 11:49 AM   #441
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Give them freedom of the city.

I love that tradition, we're going to march through your city and not destroy it as long as you don't resist.
The Highlanders have had Freedom of the city for a long time.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:01 PM   #442
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah, I just liked the original definition of it.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 02:14 PM   #443
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

The anniversary of Vimy and some discussion regarding the use of chemical weapons in Syria made me think of this.

http://www.canadiangreatwarproject.c...#_Toc130652611

Ypres:

Spoiler!

Vimy:

Spoiler!

The 10th are perpetuated by the Calgary Highlanders.

Quote:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2017, 11:41 AM   #444
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Probably could use it's own thread, but for those unable to visit Vimy Ridge in person on the anniversary can use Google Street View:

https://www.google.com/streetview/
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2017, 06:13 PM   #445
MBates
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

For those who do not know, Library and Archives Canada has an amazing resource to allow you to research official records of your family members. In particular they are well into the process of digitizing all WWI service records and you can search by name and then download a PDF with high-quality scans of the original documents - all free of charge:

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discove...l-records.aspx

My great grandfather is the Michael Joseph Dunne who is the subject of the movie Passchendaele. A gunshot wound above his heart and one to the head a few months before the attack on Vimy Ridge made him miss active fighting in that particular battle. But as loosely depicted in the film, he returned to the front shortly after and participated in the taking of Passchendaele. A second multiple gunshot wounding (including one to the head where the bullet was actually removed from his scalp in a field hospital) at Amiens would ultimately earn him a ticket home.

Reading his transfer documents and medical discharge summary was truly fascinating. I recommend anyone who has a WWI veteran you know to go look them up.

If you are up for a bit of a time-intensive project, you can also then cross-reference to the Canadian War Diaries and download official reports of what the unit your veteran was assigned to was doing on almost any given day of the war.

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discove...r-diaries.aspx
MBates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MBates For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2017, 09:44 AM   #446
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

And the hits keep on rolling......

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/canadi...erta-1.4053351

Quote:
For the first time, former Canadian soldiers are speaking publicly about being tortured at the hands of the Canadian military during a prisoner of war training exercise in the 1980s.

The men say that in February 1984 they were among 33 young recruits who were stripped naked, crowded into small military jail cells with windows open, denied food and, for up to two days, repeatedly sprayed with cold water. For more than 40 hours they were forced to listen to loud rock music.

Quote:
Old 04-11-2017, 10:20 AM   #447
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

This sounds like a designed program gone out of control

Quote:
The man in charge of the Wainwright battle school in 1984 tells Go Public this is the first he's heard of the allegations of torture during the prisoner of war training.
Robert Dallison, a retired lieutenant-colonel, says preparing soldiers for what might happen behind enemy lines was part of regular training after some Canadians were taken prisoner in the Korean War.
But he says what happened in 1984 "doesn't sound right."
"The purpose of exercises is to give them a feeling or an understanding of what it would be like to be a prisoner," Dallison says. "Some of the things you mentioned, I certainly wouldn't have approved had I known about it."
Other senior military officials said the PoW training the men took part in is not part of any approved program they are aware of.
Even though I have trouble with the concept of a LT-Col who was in charge of the battle school didn't know what was happening for two days with a group of recruits.

Now I'm not saying that there has to be some realistic simulation in terms of military training and some military's and especially at the special forces level absolutely brutalize their incoming recruits as part of the weeding out process. However even the most brutal military training program has medical aid constantly checking on the recruits to make sure that line isn't crossed.

In terms of my own experiences, there was nothing brutal about it in terms of the breaking down process. But relentless PT, marching and drills, the yelling and brow beating were employed, however at the end of the day, I don't think any of us thought we were in mortal jeopardy during our training.

The stuff that happened in GI Jane never really happens in real life in terms of their training. Even when pilots do their survival escape and evasion training there has to be limits.

This sounds like it was a stupid exercise run by gungho's with no oversight from the officers.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:15 AM   #448
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/ca...wright-alberta

Quote:
One soldier has been killed and three others have been injured in a training accident at Canadian Forces Base Wainwright in northern Alberta.

The military says in a release that the soldier killed is Sgt. Robert J. Dynerowicz from the Royal Canadian Dragoons, based at CFB Petawawa in Ontario.

RIP

Quote:
Old 04-26-2017, 11:24 AM   #449
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The Vice Admiral Norman keeps getting more an more bizarre

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/ca...on-supply-ship

Quote:
The RCMP alleged Norman gave information to Spencer Fraser, CEO of Project Resolve, the firm selected by the previous Conservative government to provide the navy with an interim supply ship.
Quote:
“I believe that Norman, contrary to his obligation as an official of the Government of Canada, used his position as the Vice-Admiral of the Royal Canadian Navy to wilfully provide, on an ongoing basis, information subject to cabinet confidence to Fraser in an effort to circumvent the established processes and procedures put in place by the government to ensure the secrecy and confidentiality of cabinet discussions,” RCMP Corp. Matthieu Boulanger stated in the sworn information to obtain a warrant.
The RCMP allege that “Norman did this to influence decision-makers within government to adopt his preferred outcome.”
The whole story is pretty fascinating.

I wonder how long ago a Admiral was tried in a General Court Marshall?

The whole thing is about to become a major clusterF as the unions involve want the contracts delayed

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/ca...ormans-removal

Old 04-26-2017, 12:01 PM   #450
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Current fleet status and gaps in terms of Naval capability

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novasco...g-on-new-ships

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2017, 08:53 AM   #451
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Harjit Sajjam caught in another lie.

First his statement that our allies were ok with our CF-18's pulled from the mission against ISIS.

And now his claim that he was the architect of Operation Medusa in Afghanistan which lead to the removal of 1500 Taliban fighters from the battlefield.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...eld-boast.html

Quote:
But now Sajjan seems to have overreached in a war story, telling an audience in New Delhi, India, earlier this week that he was the “architect” of Operation Medusa, the Canadian offensive in 2006 to push out Taliban fighters from the districts around Kandahar.
“On my first deployment to Kandahar in 2006, I was kind of thrown in an unforeseen situation and became the architect of an operation called Operation Medusa, where we removed about 1,500 fighters, Taliban fighters, off the battlefield,” Sajjan said in his speech.
“I was very proud to be on the main assault of the force,” he said in the speech, which can be found on YouTube.

Quote:
Yet Sajjan’s version of events, first reported by the National Post, stirred anger in military circles from those who thought the former soldier had overstated his role.
One military officer told the Post it was a “bald-faced lie.”

Quote:
Military historian Jack Granatstein said that Sajjan was a good intelligence officer in Afghanistan who probably provided important information, but added, “That’s probably all you can say.
“He certainly wouldn’t have been the chief planner,” Granatstein said in a phone interview.
“That he would say such a thing in a public address is bizarre.”
Granatstein said the faux pas shouldn’t force Sajjan to resign, but argued it doesn’t help the cause of a minister he said has been weak in his post.
“It’s not going to help him with the military,” Granatstein said.
“He’s not a very strong minister thus far. He hasn’t delivered anything thus far for the (Canadian Forces).
“This is going to make people think he’s a little bit deluded.”

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2017, 11:26 AM   #452
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

BGen Fraser wrote (in 2006) that Sajjan’s “analysis was so compelling that it drove a number of large scale theatre-resourced efforts, including Operation Medusa … that resulted in the defeat of the largest Taliban cell yet identified in Afghanistan, with over 1,500 Taliban killed or captured.”

In other words, Sajjan's analysis contributed to Fraser's plan, but Fraser was still the architect of the plan. Sajjan was a senior draftsman. I think it was in 2015 that Sajjan gave a speech where he stated that Gen Vance said Sajjan was the architect of MEDUSA. Vance has avoided answering questions relating to this situation this past week of course.

I'm not sure what Sajjan hoped to accomplish by embellishing his record; he already had the street cred. But he is losing that cred quickly.

Interestingly enough, Gen Fraser spoke to us last Tuesday morning - not about Afghanistan in particular - about the observer mission in the Sinai.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Baron von Kriterium For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2017, 12:30 PM   #453
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Of course Vance isn't going to speak out against the MOD. Its the quickest route to dismissal.

Old 04-29-2017, 02:20 PM   #454
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Thought he would do a good job in his role, but its obvious to me that is turning into a political hack.

Sad because I like a lot of what the Trudeau government is doing. I hope he steps down and they get someone in there that actually cares about improving the military and looks at something other than a 2 month outlook.

There are reports of countries like Israel and the US using the F-35 in missions already and Canada still can't decide what we want.
Azure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 09:48 PM   #455
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Thought he would do a good job in his role, but its obvious to me that is turning into a political hack.

Sad because I like a lot of what the Trudeau government is doing. I hope he steps down and they get someone in there that actually cares about improving the military and looks at something other than a 2 month outlook.

There are reports of countries like Israel and the US using the F-35 in missions already and Canada still can't decide what we want.
So looking at F-35 deployments

Australia - 2 delivered for training, 70 on order, expected another 28 planned
Israel - 5 delivered and being used for training and operational integration, 50 purchased and 75

Italy - 1 delivered for testing, 2 in use for transition training, 5 on order with 30 more expected and a total fleet of 75

Japan - 5 on order a total of 38 planned to be built locally

Netherlands - 2 in use, 8 on order 35 planned

Norway - 4 operational a total of 52 planned

Turkey 6 ordered 120 planned

US - 34th fighter squadron operational
422nd test and evaluation active
58th fighter squadron active
61st fighter squadron active
62nd fighter squadron active
63rd fighter squadron active
461st test squadron active
31st test squadron active

The above are training billets

UK - 4 delivered testing 14 on order with another 42 on fast track. Total of 138

United States - Marine corps

VMFA-121 Japan active F-35B active
VMFA-211 Arizona F-35B active

Meanwhile the Superhornet purchase has gone extremely quiet. There are some concerns that this will be costlier then the Liberals promised (5 to 7 billion for 18 aircraft) and might not represent a costs savings as a transitional aircraft for Canada. As well there are problems with the Oxygen delivery systems.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/super...lems-1.3358693

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/ca...sting-billions

http://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/col...anada-grounded

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/ca...ter-pilots-say

edit add on red flag results

http://www.popularmechanics.com/mili...lag-war-games/

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 05-01-2017 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:01 PM   #456
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why they even decided on super hornet was a head scratcher. Would rather have rolled the dice on f35.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:43 AM   #457
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

An interesting view from a writer during a excercise against F-35's and F-22's

http://www.scout.com/military/warrio...-f-22-and-f-35

Quote:
While the Raptor would be the most formidable fighter in the world due to its raw performance even without stealth, it’s now clear to me that even the F-35 with its mediocre kinematic performance will be an extremely dangerous foe in the air due to its low radar cross-section and sensors. “If the pilots of both could carry a 9mm and open the canopy inflight, they would have 15 more kills per sortie,” the senior Air Force official told me. “It's like fighting Mr. Invisible.”
F-35's deployed to Bulgeria

http://www.scout.com/military/warrio...ve-in-bulgaria

More on Israel's F-35 program

https://www.algemeiner.com/2017/04/3...-day-air-show/

More on the F-35

http://taskandpurpose.com/f-35-getti...closer-combat/

A minor military thing, but Boeing's lawsuit against Bombardier over the Governments bailout could effect the Super Hornet purchase.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:27 AM   #458
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Soldiers doing Soldier ####.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2017/04/2...in-permanently

Quote:
Canada’s troops will live out of tents during the first few months of their June deployment in Latvia as the host nation feverishly prepares to accommodate a 1,200-soldier battle group aimed at deterring Russian aggression in the Baltics.

Commanding officer of the Edmonton-based 1st Battalion Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry, Lt. Col. Wade Rutland, said large-scale construction work is underway at the Adazi military complex to prepare for the arrival of troops in early June.
Quote:
This will be Canada's first permanent military base and largest sustained presence in Europe since the end of the Cold War and stems from a NATO decision at the Warsaw summit last year to establish an "enhanced forward presence" in Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Poland.
Not as sexy as a posting to Germany....

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2017, 11:20 AM   #459
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Why they even decided on super hornet was a head scratcher. Would rather have rolled the dice on f35.
Because people who know nothing about airplanes think it's the same plane, and that it will be cheaper because it's just a small step, when in reality it's a completely different aircraft. If Boeing had called it a Wasp instead of a super hornet it wouldn't even be a discussion.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:20 PM   #460
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Looks like ontop of lying about his role in Afghanistan, and lying about our allies acceptance of withdrawing our CF-18's. He lied to the ethics commissioner about his role in Afghanistan

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/ca...n-by-watch-dog

Quote:
Ethics commissioner Mary Dawson questioned Sajjan regarding why he refused to open an investigation into the torture of Afghan detainees transferred by Canadian soldiers. Sajjan served as an intelligence officer in Afghanistan at the time and, were such an investigation to take place, he could potentially be called as a witness.
Conversations with the ethics commissioner typically remain private, but in a Feb. 27 letter obtained by the National Post, Dawson summarizes her conversation with the defence minister: “Mr. Sajjan informed me that he was deployed as a reservist to Afghanistan where he was responsible for capacity building with local police forces. At no time was he involved in the transfer of Afghan detainees, nor did he have any knowledge relating to the matter,” she wrote.
Quote:
We’ve now had three different versions of what he’s said he was doing there. The one which he’s now, I guess, taken back which says he was mistaken. The version from general Fraser which says he was an intelligence officer. And the version he appears to have given to the conflict of interest commissioner that says he was merely working on capacity-building with the Afghan police,” NDP defence critic Randall Garrison told the Post.
Opposition leaders call for his resignation

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/sajj...dusa-1.4093270

I believes he needs to step down, he has a major integrity issue now. On top of that he has mislead everyone on the Super Hornet program and there are accusations of ship building problems at the highest levels of government.