Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2012, 09:23 PM   #81
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncton golden flames View Post
i'll try to get a pic with a shirt on for you, if you care that much....

i threw it on as soon as it arrived by courier this afternoon, so it is still very wrinkly, maybe that makes things look a little wonky, i don't know.
It hangs decently. I always enjoy the third pocket on the front. Even though it serves no functional purpose, I get them done on all my suits now. I like how you can see you are wearing a vest, even without the jacket undone. Too often you'll see the vest done to the same height as the top jacket button.

It may be your stance, but it looks like the right jacket sleeve is a touch long, as it is covering your hand. You want your dress shirt to come to your wrist and your jacket to stop about half an inch before that.

As others have said, don't ever do the bottom button on a jacket up. If it was a three button jacket, only do the middle one up. If it's a four button jacket, get a different jacket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2012, 09:28 PM   #82
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
It hangs decently. I always enjoy the third pocket on the front. Even though it serves no functional purpose,
It did when people took the train. It's called a ticket pocket!
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #83
moncton golden flames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
It did when people took the train. It's called a ticket pocket!
ya, i love the ticket pocket look!

moncton golden flames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to moncton golden flames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2012, 08:37 AM   #84
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncton golden flames View Post
ya, i love the ticket pocket look!
As do I. I think slanted pockets are even better too.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:25 PM   #85
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone ever ordered from Tie Bar? I kind of want to try it out. But the USPS shipping seems like it would take forever, and FedEx shipping will probably get me raped on brokerage fees and duty.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:59 PM   #86
jtfrogger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The Tie Bar is awesome. I've ordered two or three times. The quality is amazing and you can't beat the price. It doesn't take long to arrive; maybe a week and a half.
jtfrogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:18 PM   #87
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are large brokerage fees associated with the Tie Bar. Be warned. Or ship air through them.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:47 AM   #88
me_dennis
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtfrogger View Post
The Tie Bar is awesome. I've ordered two or three times. The quality is amazing and you can't beat the price. It doesn't take long to arrive; maybe a week and a half.
This. I've ordered my ties and pocket squares off of tiebar for my groomsmen. arrived in a week or two.
me_dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:18 AM   #89
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

RE: Indochino suits.

I received mine late on my original order (when they came through town with the pop up store) 6 weeks instead of 3 weeks. Nothing fit correctly. So I went back and suited up so they could re-measure.

The jacket arms needed to be taken out, and the pants hemmed (for those that do not know me, I am not as tall as your average bear)

My shirt was too small and my vest was too small.

So they re-measured and ordered a new vest and shirt and then they took my jacket and pants to be altered. Three weeks later I received everything back, it fit and I got to keep my old shirt and vest (moot point as they don't fit very well).

My review - took longer than expected, kinda stinks but they held up their end of the bargain and made it right. In the end I am happy and I got many compliments on the suit on my wedding day.

Take it for what it is worth.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:07 PM   #90
jtfrogger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
There are large brokerage fees associated with the Tie Bar. Be warned. Or ship air through them.
I always get them sent via USPS/Canada Post, so the brokerage fee is cheap.
jtfrogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:33 AM   #91
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got my Suit back in May, I’ve been wearing it 1-2 times per week since then. Anyway went to put it on last week and found here is a hole in the crotch. Not a rip in the stitching just a wear down of the material. Not impressed to see the fabric break down so quickly, needless to say I will not by purchasing from then again.
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:07 PM   #92
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J pold View Post
Got my Suit back in May, I’ve been wearing it 1-2 times per week since then. Anyway went to put it on last week and found here is a hole in the crotch. Not a rip in the stitching just a wear down of the material. Not impressed to see the fabric break down so quickly, needless to say I will not by purchasing from then again.
Id call and complain... my guess would be free replacement pants?

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 02:09 PM   #93
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Anyone shop using the showroom at Chinook?

I like the idea of having a local store to visit as opposed to having to ship everything in case of adjustments or problems. I havent used Indochino but am thinking of trying for something like a light blue summer suit that I might not want to wear more than a season or two.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 09:55 AM   #94
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Late to the party, but I asked my tailor once about Indochino suits. For what it's worth, he told me he's deconstructed a handful, and they were terrible quality. They might look decent, but are garbage quality.

He could have been saying that just to devalue a competitor to his business, but it fits as well with what I've heard about inconsistent sizing, variable quality of materials, etc.

What Calgary needs is a Suit Supply location. Spier and Mackay is supposed to be decent as well, but I've never tried their products.
DionTheDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 09:58 AM   #95
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love my IndoChino suit. I've had it for over a year, and I wear it at least once a week. Would buy again.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:47 AM   #96
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionTheDman View Post
Late to the party, but I asked my tailor once about Indochino suits. For what it's worth, he told me he's deconstructed a handful, and they were terrible quality. They might look decent, but are garbage quality.

He could have been saying that just to devalue a competitor to his business, but it fits as well with what I've heard about inconsistent sizing, variable quality of materials, etc.
I've chatted with a tailor I know and she says that Indochino is a lower end option for a custom suit. Her comment as a tailor was basically, "Ignoring quality for a moment, a bespoke (tailored) suit will almost always look better than an off the rack option which has not been tailored."

Indochino has options for formal and casual in the same way there are H&M options vs Calvin Klein options. I've spent time looking at Indochino options in the past and IMO I personally don't prefer to choose them because I feel like I can get better value elsewhere. Of the wares I am looking at and at the price point they are offering their wares, I'd rather wait for great deals on branded suits and bring them to my tailor to work on. For slightly more, I get a better quality suit with brand recognition. I probably only paid about 20-30% more for Zegna and Hugo Boss to an Indochino equivalent offer I think I have a Calvin Klein option on hand that's equal pricing to Indochino as well as an Asia option which looks great and cheaper than Indochino. But those types of deals aren't always available.

I don't disagree with the comment that perhaps Indochino are of "poor quality", but if you need to deconstruct the suit to determine this, is it really a big deal?

I personally don't see a reason to tell people to avoid Indochino even though I don't have any current or future plans to get a suit from them.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 01:04 PM   #97
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Fair comment, but I guess I would suggest that an item of clothing that is made from higher quality materials, with higher end construction would look better, feel better, and last longer.

A lot of it comes down to the little things. Stitch quality, perfect details (striping on sleeves on the torso line up with those on the sleeves, for example), the drape, MOP or horn buttons rather than plastic, all these things matter to me when I'm looking at a suit.
DionTheDman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DionTheDman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2017, 01:33 PM   #98
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Any tailer will tell you that Indochino is low quality. Many won't even touch them out of fear their alterations will wreck an already terrible suit and the client will blame it on them.

You get what you pay for. There is a reason they are cheap, and don't let their constant sales price fool you.

They certainly fit better than an off the rack suit without tailoring, but any OTR suit i have purchased has been tailored to some extent.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 05:03 PM   #99
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
Any tailer will tell you that Indochino is low quality. Many won't even touch them out of fear their alterations will wreck an already terrible suit and the client will blame it on them.

You get what you pay for. There is a reason they are cheap, and don't let their constant sales price fool you.

They certainly fit better than an off the rack suit without tailoring, but any OTR suit i have purchased has been tailored to some extent.
You can tell by looking at IndoChino suits that they are garbage. The lapels are so stiff on them, they look like glued together cardboard. They always have some weird stitching around the ends of their jackets too. It's as though there are tiny wrinkles around all the edges.

For lower end suits that do a similar thing, you're better off with Spier and MacKay. You'll need more post-purchase tailoring with them though. The material from them is far superior than IndoChino. You can do a lot with proper tailoring, but it can only cover up bad materials and construction so much.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 05:35 PM   #100
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionTheDman View Post
Fair comment, but I guess I would suggest that an item of clothing that is made from higher quality materials, with higher end construction would look better, feel better, and last longer.

A lot of it comes down to the little things. Stitch quality, perfect details (striping on sleeves on the torso line up with those on the sleeves, for example), the drape, MOP or horn buttons rather than plastic, all these things matter to me when I'm looking at a suit.
TL;DR - An Indochino suit is (pardon the pun) tailored for someone who asks two questions. 1. Is it cheap? 2. Will I look good in it. It does not target someone who actually cares.

Your comment assumes someone wants to wear all their suits until they fall apart. Indochino perhaps fills a niche for a seemingly inexpensive fitted suit. We're talking people who want a suit at a level perhaps nearly disposable in nature.

It is geared towards someone who for instance wears a suit so infrequently, that their body shape will vary greatly from the first time they wear the suit, to the next time. Not towards people like us. On a cost per use perspective, there's no point in paying that extra few hundred bucks on something they probably would prefer not to purchase in the first place. These people are also those that probably couldn't figure out if they're closer to a 38 jacket or a 44 if asked by someone.

Only a weirdo will deeply examine someone's clothing at a formal event, so Indochino will survive just fine. Also, anyone proclaiming the fantastic qualities of the clothing they are wearing at an event is a d-bag.

Now don't get me wrong. I totally agree with you. I wear suits often enough that a better made suit is easily worth the extra I pay even if I don't pay that much for my suits. Indochino is offering the option of a 1 stop shop fitted suit for about $500 ish. My favorite suits I own are E. Zegna and Hugo Boss and neither was over $750 including the cost of tailoring. 50% more for something that looks a hell of a lot nicer and easily last longer is a no brainer for me. But for someone else who rarely wears suits, $250 is a lot of money to tie up for no apparent reason.

I mean, you could suggest someone to get a $300-400 ish Ralph Lauren/Kenneth Cole/Tommy Hilfinger suit and tailor to be in the same range, but it's so much more effort for a one time thing and the deals aren't always there. Indochino targets those types of people.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post: