Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2017, 10:16 AM   #601
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
On 660 news they had speculated the settlement would have been in the 3-4 million range.
Who was speculating?

The talking heads or someone with knowledge of the matter.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 10:18 AM   #602
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

to me it would be stunning (and a win for the airline) if the amount of the cheque was less than $4 million
Old 04-28-2017, 11:00 AM   #603
Knut

Exp:

Dr Dao probably does not like all the attention either. Likely just wants the whole thing over with.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2017, 12:46 PM   #604
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel a little cheated on by Dao. After all of the support and sympathy I've given him here how dared he to settle privately and not tell me how much he got out of it...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2017, 06:42 AM   #605
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Even though the injury would not be worth close to $1 million, even in the US, the fact this settles so quickly suggests they settled for more than that, especially given the chance of punitive damages, and wanting to get this out of the news.

3-4 Million is an over payment but I wouldn't be surprised.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 10:37 AM   #606
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I suspect it was substantially more than $3 to $4 Million.
Old 04-30-2017, 12:56 PM   #607
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

$3-4M seems really low. If the case went to trial the amount of negative publicity generated from the court proceedings alone would be worth hundreds of millions - and United knows that. And that doesn't include any settlement he likely would receive at the end. It was definitely in their best interests to settle quickly and for that they would pay a decent amount.

This is a complete guess but I'd say $10M minimum. His lawyers know they have the advantage and would play hardball.
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 01:12 PM   #608
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
$3-4M seems really low. If the case went to trial the amount of negative publicity generated from the court proceedings alone would be worth hundreds of millions - and United knows that. And that doesn't include any settlement he likely would receive at the end. It was definitely in their best interests to settle quickly and for that they would pay a decent amount.

This is a complete guess but I'd say $10M minimum. His lawyers know they have the advantage and would play hardball.
Character of the victim could play into it as well. You could get a person who embraces the attention and values the process of getting as many millions as possible.

Or you could get a low key guy (this guy kind of comes off that way) that just doesn't want the publicity or headache of a huge back and forth, intense legal battle.

"Hey, we can get $5-$10mil if we really grind them and make threats and all that within a couple months, or if I tell them they can settle for $4mil they'll close the deal tomorrow and send you your money and you're a multi millionaire and this is all behind you".

"I'll take it, thanks".
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:10 AM   #609
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Delta making the news again...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/delt...fund-1.4100792
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:15 AM   #610
lambeburger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Should we rename this thread to the ongoing airline transgressions thread?
lambeburger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lambeburger For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2017, 09:55 AM   #611
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post

I think he is bang on. If this situation isn't allowed, how did then even get on the plane. Why weren't they stopped at check in, or boarding.

Quote:
Old 05-05-2017, 10:00 AM   #612
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post

I think he is bang on. If this situation isn't allowed, how did then even get on the plane. Why weren't they stopped at check in, or boarding.
Then they leave him with a baby in the middle of the night at the airport? No hotel or book him on the next flight? Definitely not cool
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:07 AM   #613
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
One likely possibility is he boarded with his and his wife's boarding passes, and with the two small kids in tow the gate people figured the babies were going to be on laps. Then when the 18 year old "no-showed" they sold his seat; however the parents assumed they still got to use that seat.

I don't fly that often, but I do know most airlines do not allow name changes on seats.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:12 AM   #614
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it is pretty well known that you can't just use someone one else's ticket with a different name. I assume they got their 18 year old to check in online so they "claimed" it, but wouldn't have been able to do the last step, which would be checking the name against ID for that seat at the gate. So they just got on, and plomped their stuff down. Because that last step never happened, Delta would have seen it as unused and sold it as standby. Any of the Delta staff would have also assumed the baby was travelling on the parents lap, just carrying a car seat doesn't indicate the child was supposed to have it's own seat.

I think these people probably thought becuase they paid for it, they got to use it however they wished, which is not the case. Delta should have just let them fly with the kid in their lap though, instead of kicking them off.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2017, 10:16 AM   #615
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
I don't fly that often, but I do know most airlines do not allow name changes on seats.
Sure they do, I've done it plenty. People also swap seats with each other while on board.

This difference here is that their son was a no-show and the airline gave away the unused seat (most likely as per their policy)

Last edited by llwhiteoutll; 05-05-2017 at 10:19 AM.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:23 AM   #616
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah, I think Ken has it right. The parents just assumed the seat for this 18 year old would be vacant so they put one of the kids in the seat. When the employees said that seats are not transferable (and likely sold to someone else now that the 18 year is not there), they should have just moved the kid to their lap and this is a non-story.

This might sound harsh, but I think the parents got what they deserve by kicking them off the plane. They violated the company policy and could have made this a non-issue by just complying with instructions. Instead, they have to make a moral stand and basically hold up an entire plane of people because they are above the rules. I have no real patience for these kind of people and am disappointed that Delta compensated them for this.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:24 AM   #617
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Pretty ####ty way to treat a family with 2 young kids. Cold and hurtful. #### Delta. I would never fly with them.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:47 AM   #618
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
Yeah, I think Ken has it right. The parents just assumed the seat for this 18 year old would be vacant so they put one of the kids in the seat. When the employees said that seats are not transferable (and likely sold to someone else now that the 18 year is not there), they should have just moved the kid to their lap and this is a non-story.
From the Article, and here is what I am unclear about from watching the video during my morning poo.

Quote:
Lap or car seat?

Schear then suggests that his wife could hold one of the toddlers during takeoff and then put the youngster in the car seat. Another person, who appears to be a Delta supervisor, tells him that federal rules require that children under two must stay in a parent's lap throughout the flight.

The Federal Aviation Administration "strongly urges" that infants be in a car seat, although it permits those under two to be held in a parent's lap. On its website, Delta recommends that parents buy seats for children under two and put them in an approved child-safety seat.

Brian Schear spoke briefly to The Associated Press by telephone Thursday and said he has been overwhelmed by media requests. He declined additional comment and said the family may hold a news conference.

It is not yet known if the family has accepted the airline's compensation offer.
It seemed like he offered, at the end, to put the child on the lap, but this was not allowed?

Quote:
Old 05-05-2017, 10:59 AM   #619
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
From the Article, and here is what I am unclear about from watching the video during my morning poo.

It seemed like he offered, at the end, to put the child on the lap, but this was not allowed?
He left it too long and the person they were dealing with ran out of patience and told them it was too late-Kind of like I do with my kids but this time with a plane full of people and they paid for their tickets- I'm really glad Airlines have been put on watch- they are really awful. If only they could make US border agents not be such dicks- instead they now feel even more empowered to be jerks
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:04 PM   #620
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronck View Post
He left it too long and the person they were dealing with ran out of patience and told them it was too late-Kind of like I do with my kids but this time with a plane full of people and they paid for their tickets- I'm really glad Airlines have been put on watch- they are really awful. If only they could make US border agents not be such dicks- instead they now feel even more empowered to be jerks
At the same time a lot of people have entitled attitudes and don't bother to understand their obligations or the ToS of the tickets they are buying. Then they just splash it on social media when they get held to the terms and people lap it up.

And I'm fine with border agents not being friendly, cuddly people. Their job is to keep undesirable people out and screen people for threats. They aren't customer service people. When you deal with one, you're asking permission to enter a country you don't have a right to enter.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to llwhiteoutll For This Useful Post: