Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2017, 08:58 AM   #1
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Players' Tribune - Brent Sopel - Lost in my Mind

Another home run, I can't get enough of these articles

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/br...ysgraphia-nhl/
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:11 AM   #2
GoFlamesGo89
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Very powerful-- wow.
GoFlamesGo89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:21 AM   #3
mennoknight
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Brent Sopel rules, and has always ruled. I love that guy.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:31 AM   #4
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Now I feel guilty for calling him a big stupid idiot when I went to a Vancouver game and he was in the penalty box.

Sorry Sopel

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:39 AM   #5
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hate stories like this.
I was perfectly comfortable with my utter distain for Brent Sopel.
Damn you, Players Tribune.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2017, 03:27 PM   #6
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Incredible real life story.

Congratulations Brent.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 04:27 PM   #7
Cube Inmate
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm starting to wonder how many NHL players are actually content with their lives? Outside of the time between puck-drop and the final whistle, there's not much I would find to envy... and a lot that would make life worse.

Right now, I don't feel like I've even started making an impact in my life yet. But at my age, Sopel was retired and seemed to think there was nothing left for him. He'd reached the pinnacle of his life (so he believed), and was back to being just a dummy.
Cube Inmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 05:14 PM   #8
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Amazing article. I laughed a few times, and I also felt his anguish. It's strange to think that many writers could take notes from hockey players on how to write.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 05:52 PM   #9
smiggy77
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

An absolute beauty read. We miss so much watching their lives through the media that when you get a look deeper in, it's pretty surreal and not an easy life as some of us think it is.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:59 PM   #10
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stories like this should also remind us that everyone we come across in life could have a lot more going on than we see on the surface. Whether it be in our work circles, family circles, friends, or neighbours... It is far easier sometimes to presume or judge rather than just listen or talk with someone.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gaudfather For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2017, 04:33 AM   #11
Samuelsson
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Amazing article. I laughed a few times, and I also felt his anguish. It's strange to think that many writers could take notes from hockey players on how to write.
You don't think it was ghost-written?
Old 03-08-2017, 05:46 AM   #12
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuelsson View Post
You don't think it was ghost-written?
LOL, well in the case of a man who has dyslexia and dysgraphia, almost certainly. However, he tells an amazing story with a theme that works it's way from the first section to the last, and it builds well throughout. It was moving without being schlocky or sappy, a fine line to walk. Sure, he had help, but it's still his thoughts and words.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:26 AM   #13
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

These articles are interesting to me in that I never realized how many crafted their skills by replacing something terrible in their lives with hockey. It's almost like they're addicts that managed to find hockey before drugs. Sadly for a bunch of these guys it appears as though they find the drugs eventually.

Quote:
LOL, well in the case of a man who has dyslexia and dysgraphia, almost certainly. However, he tells an amazing story with a theme that works it's way from the first section to the last, and it builds well throughout. It was moving without being schlocky or sappy, a fine line to walk. Sure, he had help, but it's still his thoughts and words.
All the Players' Tribune articles are amazing, but they're all clearly written by other people. You're right that it's his thoughts and story, but I'd be surprised if it was entirely his words.

For example, they all seem to foreshadow with the same style... "There was this kid named <amazing player> coming up", or "I would meet a coach named <legendary coach> and it would change my life". Off the top of my head I can think of 3 that have done it. I'm not knocking it – it's an awesome story telling element.

I love the Players' Tribune, but my only problem with it is they don't credit the ghostwriter(s) who are in my opinion doing the most important part. I'm purely speculating, but those positives you point out about theme and tone are purely the work of the writer.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2017, 10:28 AM   #14
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
The ghost-writer is re-organizing the thoughts into a coherent and dramatic narrative as well as transcribing Sopel's words. The writers at TPT are very good.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blender For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2017, 10:37 AM   #15
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
These articles are interesting to me in that I never realized how many crafted their skills by replacing something terrible in their lives with hockey. It's almost like they're addicts that managed to find hockey before drugs. Sadly for a bunch of these guys it appears as though they find the drugs eventually.

All the Players' Tribune articles are amazing, but they're all clearly written by other people. You're right that it's his thoughts and story, but I'd be surprised if it was entirely his words.

For example, they all seem to foreshadow with the same style... "There was this kid named <amazing player> coming up", or "I would meet a coach named <legendary coach> and it would change my life". Off the top of my head I can think of 3 that have done it. I'm not knocking it – it's an awesome story telling element.

I love the Players' Tribune, but my only problem with it is they don't credit the ghostwriter(s) who are in my opinion doing the most important part. I'm purely speculating, but those positives you point out about theme and tone are purely the work of the writer.
agree that the ghost writers deserve credit for their amazing work, but disagree the way you seem to dismiss the players stories by saying the writing is the most important part. sure the writing adds weight to the story, but the players story and contribution is by far the most important part.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2017, 12:06 PM   #16
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Boring.

Love the Players Tribune but tHese recent hockey ones have been a struggle to get through.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:14 PM   #17
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudfather View Post
Stories like this should also remind us that everyone we come across in life could have a lot more going on than we see on the surface. Whether it be in our work circles, family circles, friends, or neighbours... It is far easier sometimes to presume or judge rather than just listen or talk with someone.
This also highlights how parents need to play a vital role in their child's learning. Both the system and the family failed him in many ways by not slowing things down making sure he was receiving the correct education.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:22 PM   #18
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Every time I read one of the Players Tribune articles, I am reminded that I don't hate or dislike the man or woman, it is the jersey that they wear and their impact on a game or event that I have a vested interest in for the other team.

And it makes me feel bad and to be honest, reduces players and their lives into a 60 minute pantomime or play with heroes and villains.

Good luck Mr. Sopel.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:32 PM   #19
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

it would be interesting to get the perspective of one of the teachers that pushed him thru
Old 03-08-2017, 12:52 PM   #20
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

When Sopel was a player, I certainly loved to judge him. I still remember the Flames forwards killing him on the forecheck in the 2004 playoff series.

This certainly sheds a new light on him. Good to see him able to be open about this and seek help.

It's still maybe a red flag that these things continue to come up after the players are done playing. But perhaps the fact that it's at least coming out now, can help future players identify and cope with these problems much earlier in their lives.