Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 06-05-2013, 04:51 AM   #1021
doctajones428
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
If that's the purpose, then it failed because Feaster ended up wasting the better party of his day, as well as that of Chiarelli's , by negotiating a deal with Boston in the first place only to have it nixed by Iginla.

Usually teams get a list and then the player signs an official waiver stating that they will go to any of those teams. In this case, they took Iginla at his word and didn't make him sign anything. That was their mistake.
Less than a day of time wasted... Is this what it all boils down to?

Much, much more time would of been wasted if he wheeled and dealed with 29 teams instead of 5
doctajones428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:32 AM   #1022
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister__big View Post
That's ridiculous.

Everyone knows that the Flames' ownership has as much balls as Lord Varys. Can't give what you don't have.
Varys is not a lord.
Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:16 AM   #1023
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Who? I don't think Goalies or Defense are really available at the deadline.
Yeah, I don't know, I'd say anyone because they'd be better than Fleury, but I have the benefit of hindsight to say that. and, of course it isn't Fleurys job to score either which they haven't been doing much of.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:27 AM   #1024
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctajones428 View Post
I think the purpose is to prevent the GM from wasting his time kicking tires with 25 teams he doesn't want to go to. If deals with Pittsburgh and Boston didn't pan out he would of (more than likely) waived to go to a different team on his list.

Pittsburgh was clearly number one on his list before the Boston offer came in and it continued to stay that way
The list protects both Feaster and Iginla from wasting time. Iginla submits the list knowing that some of the teams he's willing to go to might not be able or willing to make an offer. What is obvious from the outcome is that Iginla's agent did not tell Feaster that if more than one team came back with an offer, that Iginla didn't care which team he'd go to. Feaster obviously couldn't just pick the destination without checking with Iginla first. Iginla then picked the team he preferred. This was undoubtedly part of the initial agreement that started the trade negotiations, or else Iginla couldn't have chosen Pittsburgh. The problem had to originate in the negotiations between Boston and Feaster.
Steve Bozek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:30 AM   #1025
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister__big View Post
That's ridiculous.

Everyone knows that the Flames' ownership has as much balls as Lord Varys. Can't give what you don't have.
That's kind of true. They knew they had to fire Darryl Sutter but couldn't bring themselves to it even after hiring his replacement. They let it get to the point where the GM and head coach were no longer talking before they finally felt they had no other choice.

Same with Iginla. I don't think they are stupid so they must have known years ago that rebuilding the team was the right thing to do. They were too scared that they would look like villains pushing Iginla out. Too scared that season ticket holders would cancel their tickets. They danced around Iginla like they were on egg shells even happily taking a worse deal for him just to make him happy and not look like bad guys.

Even this whole new arena thing how they are hiding in the shadows while the Oilers do all the dirty work publicly battling for taxpayer money that the Flames will turn around and use as their blueprint kind of rubs me the wrong way.

Feaster takes a lot of crap and deservedly so but this organization is never going to get where teams like the Kings, Hawks, Bruins are until the owners get some stones and start running the team like a business where you have to be a bad guy at times not a some sort of side hobby where they can't make a difficult decision to save their lives and are so worried about their public persona that staying in neutral outweighs moving forward.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 06-05-2013 at 08:32 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2013, 09:13 AM   #1026
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bozek View Post
The list protects both Feaster and Iginla from wasting time. Iginla submits the list knowing that some of the teams he's willing to go to might not be able or willing to make an offer. What is obvious from the outcome is that Iginla's agent did not tell Feaster that if more than one team came back with an offer, that Iginla didn't care which team he'd go to. Feaster obviously couldn't just pick the destination without checking with Iginla first. Iginla then picked the team he preferred. This was undoubtedly part of the initial agreement that started the trade negotiations, or else Iginla couldn't have chosen Pittsburgh. The problem had to originate in the negotiations between Boston and Feaster.
People really just need to let it go already. He signed a NTC, it's his right to waive, even to the very last minute if he wanted to. He gave Feaster a list of teams he's willing to go to, but he still has final say in everything. Had Pittsburgh not been interested at all, or lowballed Feaster, I'm sure he would have let Feaster trade him to Boston. As it stood, Flames management probably wanted to honor Iggy's wishes, and the Pens offer wasn't significantly that much worse than the Boston deal (the key being the 1st rounder).

It's not wasting time, because that's Feaster's job as a GM. Would you say all the deals that didn't go through are also a waste of time then?
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2013, 09:19 AM   #1027
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not to derail the thread from this 2 month old debate about Iginla's NTC, but who do you think is in net for Pittsburgh tonight? So far, Bylsma hasn't given any hints one way or the other. I'd go with Vokoun since Fleury didn't show any signs that the time off had helped him, but I'm guessing that Bylsma goes back to Fleury. Either way, I'm sure the decision will be criticized if the Penguins lose tonight.
gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gargamel For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2013, 09:22 AM   #1028
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vokoun.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #1029
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

They'll live and die by Vokoun.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinordi For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2013, 09:26 AM   #1030
Azhouse
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

As I recall the Iginla to Boston deal was a conditional (on if they could sign him to a contract next year) 1rst rounder. If the condition was not met what was the draft pick then supposed to be? Given his play do you think Pittsburgh (or even Boston) would try to sign him?

I'm not slagging Iggy as he was always money (even though he did pull $70,000,000 out of Calgary). He just seems to have lost a step and some physicality to his play.
Azhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:32 AM   #1031
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhouse View Post
As I recall the Iginla to Boston deal was a conditional (on if they could sign him to a contract next year) 1rst rounder. If the condition was not met what was the draft pick then supposed to be? Given his play do you think Pittsburgh (or even Boston) would try to sign him?

I'm not slagging Iggy as he was always money (even though he did pull $70,000,000 out of Calgary). He just seems to have lost a step and some physicality to his play.
Boston after the fact said there were no conditions, it was a first round pick.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2013, 09:39 AM   #1032
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
Vokoun.
That might make too much sense.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:41 AM   #1033
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Boston after the fact said there were no conditions, it was a first round pick.
But that's what they say now. Who knows what was discussed between them and the Flames. Gillis also said he didn't prep an offer sheet to O'Reilly. These guys could be lying through their teeth after the fact.

Anyways, to get back to the discussion on hand, you would have to think Bylsma goes back to Vokoun. Fleury didn't look good when he came in for the 2nd game. I think the team has more confidence in Vokoun.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2013, 09:44 AM   #1034
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey look, actual series talk:

Dave Molinari@MolinariPG9m
Malkin, Iginla, Martin don't appear to be on ice for start of Penguins' game-day skate. All but Martin practiced Tuesday.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2013, 09:57 AM   #1035
Saqe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
They'll live and die by Vokoun.

They´ll live or die by the way their team shows up and defends. Vokoun hasn´t been great but solid enough. Even Leighton was able to take Philadelphia one game shy of Stanley Cup.
Saqe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:01 AM   #1036
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

Apparently Murray was skating as a forward this morning, so I wouldn't read anything into the game-day skate unless Bylsma has completely lost his mind.
gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:02 AM   #1037
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dave Molinari@MolinariPG2m

Vokoun is the first Penguins goalie to leave the ice after the game-day skate. Presumably means he starts Game 3.

Josh Yohe@JoshYohe_Trib5m

Vokoun confirms he will start

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Last edited by MissTeeks; 06-05-2013 at 10:11 AM.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2013, 10:20 AM   #1038
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeeks View Post
Hey look, actual series talk:

Dave Molinari@MolinariPG9m
Malkin, Iginla, Martin don't appear to be on ice for start of Penguins' game-day skate. All but Martin practiced Tuesday.

what does this mean? they're sitting?
Old 06-05-2013, 10:24 AM   #1039
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Iggy should receive a warm reception tonight, I'd imagine.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:25 AM   #1040
Rudee
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I would say there are many Bruins fans who are now thankful Iggy didn't choose Boston.
Rudee is offline   Reply With Quote