Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2017, 05:25 PM   #1
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Natalee Holloway's Father Discovers Human Remains in Aruba: 'I Was Shocked'

Update to a pretty crazy story. Hopefully they get closure.
I wonder how that van der Sloot kid is doing these days.

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/...-aruba-w498193

Quote:
Natalee Holloway's Father Discovers Human Remains in Aruba: 'I Was Shocked'
Dave Holloway says remains going through DNA testing to determine if they belong to his missing daughter
By Joyce Chen
3 hours ago

Natalee Holloway's family may finally get closure more than 12 years after her 2005 disappearance. On Wednesday, her father, Dave Holloway, revealed that he and private investigator T.J. Ward had recently discovered human remains in Aruba that may belong to Natalee.

"When we determined these remains were human, I was shocked," Holloway told Matt Lauer and Savannah Guthrie on the Today show. "I know there's a possibility this could be someone else, and I'm just trying to wait and see."

Holloway explained that he and Ward had an intensive 18-month investigation about Natalee's disappearance. They put the remains through DNA testing to determine whether or not they belong to his daughter. "We've chased a lot of leads and this one is by far the most credible lead I’ve seen in the last 12 years," said Holloway.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:29 PM   #2
ToewsFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

They sure dropped the ball with van der Sloot. By the time he was caught, I think he was wanted in four counties. If I recall, he was finally caught in Chile, after murdering a woman in Peru.
ToewsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:35 PM   #3
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, he was one really bad kid. I don't know how her parents kept their composure and did proceedings legally. If I were the parents and this guy was leading me on during the investigation to say, "I did it", then constantly recant, I'd find a way shove a fist in his face. The authorities really messed up, and I'm positive it was corruption within because of who his dad was.

Another downside to this case was that it made Nancy Grace's career. I remember this was her bread and butter, day in and day out. I hate that woman.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:18 PM   #4
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToewsFan View Post
They sure dropped the ball with van der Sloot. By the time he was caught, I think he was wanted in four counties. If I recall, he was finally caught in Chile, after murdering a woman in Peru.
Yeah, and in a Peruvian prison. I would imagine that's far worse than prison in Aruba, so it likely worked out for the best.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:53 PM   #5
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've seen the inside of a prison in Bolivia. You buy your comforts and protection. A person of means can live with a private Cell, cable TV, - heck a Canadian was even running a small restaurant inside the prison. Kids were allowed to visit their dad's. Drugs, women, whatever you want.

I suspect he's doing just fine
Old 08-16-2017, 10:35 PM   #6
ToewsFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
I've seen the inside of a prison in Bolivia. You buy your comforts and protection. A person of means can live with a private Cell, cable TV, - heck a Canadian was even running a small restaurant inside the prison. Kids were allowed to visit their dad's. Drugs, women, whatever you want.

Unfortunately, I think you are right. He manipulated his way to special privileges in the prison, and somehow conceived a son with a Peruvian woman.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:47 AM   #7
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We will see but this reeks of drumming up interest in a tv show. It's a completely new theory from a previously unknown source about what happened, they found "human" remains. Now DNA testing will take 3 to 4 weeks? But I am guessing we won't know the results till the end of the show, ok.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:45 AM   #8
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm willing to give her parents the benefit of the doubt
Old 08-17-2017, 08:48 AM   #9
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

you know that's really interesting Killer . . . wait . . . .what?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:51 AM   #10
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I remember seeing a documentary a while ago on that Van Der Sloot kid in the Bolivian (now Peruvian?) prison. He had special protection from the general population given his notoriety, his foreign presence and his crime. Don't forget, he actually killed another girl in South America to be in there.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 05:44 PM   #11
ToewsFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
I remember seeing a documentary a while ago on that Van Der Sloot kid in the Bolivian (now Peruvian?) prison. He had special protection from the general population given his notoriety, his foreign presence and his crime. Don't forget, he actually killed another girl in South America to be in there.
She was the daughter of a fairly powerful Peruvian businessman. I wonder how hard it would be for the father to pay off the right people for some prison justice.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:14 PM   #12
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/b...b0208970cefc11

Not Natalee