Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-18-2017, 07:46 PM   #1841
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just watched AC's video of Johnny at the World Cup. The tournament was obviously a big fizzle in terms of fan interest. But god damn was team North America fun. They need to figure out a way to make that a regular thing.

What if we use U23 vs NHL for the All Star format? Million dollar prize split among the winners. This way, there's at least something at stake. Nobody cares if they win the 3v3 tournament for their division. I could buy that the older guys don't want to lose to a bunch of hotshot kids, and that the kids would love to punk the grown ups with everyone watching.

Also, World Cup Johnny was maybe the best I've ever seen that kid play. When he's bringing that level of play to the rink every night, you're looking at an Art Ross candidate.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:09 AM   #1842
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
I think Jake Muzzin was the lowest paid player on Team Canada at $4MM/season and Towes at $10.5MM/season was the highest. So $86k worked out to be an extra 0.8 to 2.1% of their earning last year. I wouldn't get that excited if I had a job where I worked half the year and my boss told me to come in three weeks earlier for an extra 1.5%.
The thing is I would imagine most hockey players actually enjoy playing hockey. And it's not like if they weren't playing in the tourney they would just be sitting on the couch or laying on the beach. This close to the season they would already be training to get back. So they treat it as a warm-up for the season and get to have some fun plus have a chance at winning some extra money.

I'm sure Toews can find good use for his 86k even though he makes over 10 million a year.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to savemedrzaius For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2017, 10:33 AM   #1843
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
I just watched AC's video of Johnny at the World Cup. The tournament was obviously a big fizzle in terms of fan interest. But god damn was team North America fun. They need to figure out a way to make that a regular thing.
This wasn't obviously the case anywhere but in the opinions of fans who resented the tournament. Reports such as this one have viewership numbers being respectable for mid-summer hockey.

Quote:
When it comes to ratings, World Cup was success.
On television, 3.1 million watched Canada vs. Russia last Saturday, which is the highest-rated game in the past year.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike F For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2017, 10:44 AM   #1844
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

I'm in favor of the league forgoing Olympic participation, if it means continuing on with the WCH. The prestige of this event should continue to grow with each that is held, and each Olympics that is missed, until the next generation of fans accept that it is without question the greatest level of hockey ever played, having never seen an Olympics with NHL participation.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 07:28 PM   #1845
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
I'm in favor of the league forgoing Olympic participation, if it means continuing on with the WCH. The prestige of this event should continue to grow with each that is held, and each Olympics that is missed, until the next generation of fans accept that it is without question the greatest level of hockey ever played, having never seen an Olympics with NHL participation.
The WCH is a glorified NHL all star tournament held in the Canadian summer months when players are rusty. Good luck making that work.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:41 PM   #1846
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

You are a moron.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 10:14 PM   #1847
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

The World Cup in its' current form being held in North America only, in random years, and with random 7th and 8th teams, is a gimmicky pointless tournament which has no where near the excitement or prestige of the Olympics.

They need to turn this into a proper World Cup every four years with a qualification process and hosting alternating between North America and Europe. Then I agree that one day fans will forget about the Olympics and come to see the World Cup as the pinnacle of hockey like they do for soccer, rugby, and cricket.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:24 PM   #1848
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
You are a moron.
Sit on it
Old 08-20-2017, 11:21 PM   #1849
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
This is so off the mark.

There is just about zero national pride on the line in this tournament, and that's what hockey in Canada is all about.

Canadians playing against Canadians is never going to surpass the prestige of a true best on best tournament.

There needs to be a true country vs. country tournament at least every four years where we can reaffirm our global dominance. Suggesting this gimmicky event can take the place of that is crazy.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2017, 11:26 PM   #1850
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
I wouldn't get that excited if I had a job where I worked half the year and my boss told me to come in three weeks earlier for an extra 1.5%.
But, we are talking an opportunity to represent your continent on the world stage.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 11:31 PM   #1851
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
The World Cup in its' current form being held in North America only, in random years, and with random 7th and 8th teams, is a gimmicky pointless tournament which has no where near the excitement or prestige of the Olympics.

They need to turn this into a proper World Cup every four years with a qualification process and hosting alternating between North America and Europe. Then I agree that one day fans will forget about the Olympics and come to see the World Cup as the pinnacle of hockey like they do for soccer, rugby, and cricket.
What you described in your second paragraph is the World Cup. You just named literally all of the things they announced plans for when they announced the 2016 World Cup. They said they wanted to start with an exciting tournament to get it off the ground and transition to a more traditional tournament for 2020 and beyond (including only national teams, having it every four years, and alternating between NA and Europe. I don't know where you got the random years thing, it was always intended to be every 4 years.

In addition, let's see just how full of prestige the Olympic hockey tournament is without NHL players. It now ranks a little lower than WJC as far as prestige goes.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2017, 11:40 PM   #1852
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
What you described in your second paragraph is the World Cup. You just named literally all of the things they announced plans for when they announced the 2016 World Cup. They said they wanted to start with an exciting tournament to get it off the ground and transition to a more traditional tournament for 2020 and beyond (including only national teams, having it every four years, and alternating between NA and Europe. I don't know where you got the random years thing, it was always intended to be every 4 years.

In addition, let's see just how full of prestige the Olympic hockey tournament is without NHL players. It now ranks a little lower than WJC as far as prestige goes.
The tourament has so far been held in 1996, 2004, and 2016. While the NHL has said they will have another World Cup in 2020 with European qualifying I won't hold my breath until it is made official.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:48 PM   #1853
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
The tourament has so far been held in 1996, 2004, and 2016. While the NHL has said they will have another World Cup in 2020 with European qualifying I won't hold my breath until it is made official.
I don't know how much more official it can get than the NHL saying it's going to happen when they're the ones who make that decision, but to each their own.
Old 08-21-2017, 12:59 AM   #1854
ToewsFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

No matter who is playing in the Olympics, it will always be superior to the gimmicky World Cup of Hockey.
ToewsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToewsFan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2017, 07:46 AM   #1855
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Never say never, Toews fan. The Olympics used to be the "gimmicky" tournament when compared to the Canada Cup. If the NHL builds it into a proper best on best, while the Olympics are reduced back to amateurs and minor leaguers and the KHL, you will see North American fans, at least, switching gears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I don't know how much more official it can get than the NHL saying it's going to happen when they're the ones who make that decision, but to each their own.
Because there is a CBA negotiation to get through between now and then. This tournament is tied closely to those negotiations.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2017, 07:48 AM   #1856
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToewsFan View Post
No matter who is playing in the Olympics, it will always be superior to the gimmicky World Cup of Hockey.
I don't know about that. I was way more interested in the Canada Cup than I was I the Olympics in the 80s and early 90s. The Olympics at that time were like the WHC now. There were a couple of interesting names, but the games were on in the middle of the night and the NHL was way better.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:52 AM   #1857
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
The WCH is a glorified NHL all star tournament held in the Canadian summer months when players are rusty. Good luck making that work.

It worked for the Canada Cup; it could also work for the current WC of Hockey. What is missing is the mystique of the Soviet Union, who had the best players in the world that no one ever saw.

We will see what happens after there have been a few of these tournaments, especially in the absence of NHL Olympic participation. Of course there is a gimmicky component in the early going, but the hockey played during the event was on the whole very good, and very entertaining. I think players will remain more invested now that they are full partners with the NHL in this venture, and if the players are invested the tournament will be a good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2017, 07:55 AM   #1858
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:
Default 2016 World Cup of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToewsFan View Post

I completely disagree. If you are old enough to remember the Olympic hockey tournaments in the 70s and the 80s, then you will understand why this will not be the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2017, 08:30 AM   #1859
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I completely disagree. If you are old enough to remember the Olympic hockey tournaments in the 70s and the 80s, then you will understand why this will not be the case.
I personally am not, but I definitely can't imagine a world where people are looking at a best on best nations tournament that features guys like Crosby, Price, Karlsson, Kane, etc. (or their future equivalents) and saying it has less excitement and prestige than a similar tournament where the best players are Mason Raymond and Nigel Dawes.

It sounds like they're committed to making it less gimmicky (though as Resolute said, there is a lot to be decide with CBA negotiations coming up), but I don't see how the WCH doesn't eclipse the Olympics very quickly, so long as the NHL continues to send their best to one and not the other.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2017, 09:19 AM   #1860
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
What is missing is the mystique of the Soviet Union, who had the best players in the world that no one ever saw.

You nailed it here. It was this mystique that made the Canada Cup work so well and made the Eagle lots of money.

Watching NHL stars play each other like they always do, albeit in different uniforms in September. Yawn.

Tags
canada , no good gm , under 23